Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2013, 04:16   #18
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: So Here's the Plan

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid

Fitting out: im thinking other than basics (im a trucker i know better than any sailor how to live in a small space) the following:
Radar???????? is it necessary ?
Satphone?
Roller furling?
Fishing gear? Crossbow? Speargun?
Scuba gear..
Electronics storeage? (is there even a way to keep humid salt air from destroying laptops etc?)

None of that is essential - all of it will be useful, at least at times.

As per the "Cruising Equipment List" link in my sign below, the essentials are very small (albeit few if any (and they be mad!) would go with only them)......the "nice to have" part s what folks cherry pick from according to own needs (capabilities and boat use) and desires (what makes life more fun for you)......few, if any (and they be very rich on very big boats!) have everything!

Boats is all about choices - your own.

On boat choice, no idea about your choice - but a squillion boats out there that would do the job (of crossing oceans). Skipper and Condition more important than boat design (excepting those on the extremes of design or low build quality). The wider your search the more choices you have, especially on a tight budget."

I'm going to give you different answers.

Radar? Are you going to do a lot of off-shore sailing? Radar will help but the more you learn about it, the more useful it will be. How much else do you have to learn? Probably lots. Sail closer to shore and learn the other stuff first, because it will all be tremendously useful off-shore, and then you'll have more room in your head to learn about RADAR.

SAT phone? I would want it offshore, but there are places in the world where it may not work. Make sure you know its strengths and limitations before buying.

Roller furling? Depends on the boat you choose. If you're going to single-hand, you may well want it on any boat, but remember that it's also one more thing that can malfunction. If you're going to single-hand or sail without very experienced people, it's your responsibility to learn how to keep it working.

The taller your mast, the more impractical hank-on headsails become, esp. single-handing. Can be really tricky to switch to a smaller sail in rough weather. Even hank-ons can malfunction. I got stuck once, overpowered, with the hank-on stuck half-up, half down and no real way to control it. I sorted it out but it was very dangerous.

Fishing gear? If you're counting on it for food, make sure you know how to fix it. (yes, there's a theme here)

SCUBA gear? Don't SCUBA by yourself. If I had SCUBA certification and another SCUBA person on board IMO it would be "don't leave home without it. But think about where you're going to store those big tanks. I tend to strap bulky things on the starboard side and move forward up the port side. There may be places on the cabin top you can strap them. Be creative.

Electronics storage? I've been living aboard for nearly 3 years now and have had no problem with my laptop due to the environment.

However, you can easily get zip lock bags big enough to hold a laptop.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote