Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 10:52   #451
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Cleaned up.
I wondered how this all started so went to post #1

From this all I can say is that near as I can tell single women cruising alone are more cleaned up than single men living alone and cruising. Of course I’ve only met a few women compared to a lot of male sailor park types.
Old 19-02-2018, 11:29   #452

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I wondered how this all started so went to post #1

From this all I can say is that near as I can tell single women cruising alone are more cleaned up than single men living alone and cruising. Of course I’ve only met a few women compared to a lot of male sailor park types.
I didn't understand post #1 either. Thought this thread was started by Cyan, but his post is #2. Just a glitch probably.
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 19-02-2018, 11:36   #453

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yeah that's it, but mine cost me a buck at the dollar tree store. I think it is just as comfortable.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply
Old 19-02-2018, 11:49   #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Gee I'm not sure what all the discussion about bodily functions is about.
Maybe because there's not a lot to talk about in terms of actual differences btwn. men & women living aboard & cruising, as opposed to those that are perceived or maybe just anticipated. Thus far we've heard from Zee about a lengthy period of male harassment, but it's also been suggested that this may be more about locale or where sailors opt to hang out. There are the well known & certainly real life issues of a certain number of husbands, boyfriends & others belittling women crew when sailing, as well as complaints I've heard from a couple of very capable female owners/captains who have had to endure stereotyping from clueless male boatyard staff, etc. And now it's about bodily functions. On my boat I encourage all the boys to go down below to use the heads. The girls? Well, no encouragement needed there.

I thought this thread was going to be more about hearing from single women about differences that us guys haven't had to deal with and so may not be aware of.
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 19-02-2018, 12:32   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Pissing on a boat? Piece of cake compared to relieving yourself on an eight hour cross country glider flight where you are semi reclined and the cockpit is barely shoulder width .

Folks, why are we so focussed on the differences?

Prior to joining CF, I had gone through life without being aware there was a huge chasm between men and women.

I am lucky enough to have lived in an era where equal opportunities were available for education. I have never felt my gender was a negative when it came to looking for work, being promoted or the pay I received. I have participated in a wide range of sports and activities - skiing, diving, full & small bore shooting, gliding, sailing (including offshore racing) without much thought of gender differences. I also enjoy cooking and craftwork. So do many men. Why is segregation occuring here on CF?

As a group, women may on average have some different characteristics to men, but different nationalities also share different characteristics. Trying to deal with individuals based on group averages is not effective.

I think threads such as this simply perpetuate some myth that men and women belong to different species. This one has even earned itself a "hot topic" warning that I had to check I understood before I was permitted to post .

Evm commented "Really at this level of climbing there is teamwork and very little if any male/female ********". Why do we need any male/female ******** at any stage?

SWL
Best post yet, imho. Although I'm afraid that, just like the objective stats that back up your personal experiences, there are some here that may not appreciate reading it.
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 19-02-2018, 13:32   #456

I had to share it. I was hoping it would melt some of the ice on here. Just looking at the ad pics online has kept me in stitches. I would have paid the manufacturer to be a model in their ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
I have to attach an image since the ebay listing will go away.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply
Old 19-02-2018, 13:37   #457

Awww thanks Alan! Well with a pushpit to lean against I should be good. Hey, sounds like when I get one I should post a how to picture:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
SailorCherry, i will never forgive you if you fall off the back of your boat standing up with your zipper down....

You know that is in jest of how many drowned sailors are found with their zipper down taking a pee off the fantail.....
Old 19-02-2018, 13:52   #458

I'm afraid I added to its digression with the awesome female pee funnel I found online. There are definitely times one cannot get below. Wish I had one during what is one of my most embarrassing sailing stories....

Offshore racing years ago. We're in heavy wx and seas coming home downwind, think we hit 18kts that day (50'er). I was too sick to go below. We were taking a lot of water over the deck oscillating in waves and since I was so seasick I was no help in my usual crew position so I became railmeat. I couldn't hold it any longer, we're in foulies and looked to my friend who knew - he said "Just go!". It was like that part out of Dumb and Dumber where they are frozen on the scooter "Just go man, just go". Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Gee I'm not sure what all the discussion about bodily functions is about.
Old 19-02-2018, 14:52   #459
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
I'm afraid I added to its digression with the awesome female pee funnel I found online. There are definitely times one cannot get below. Wish I had one during what is one of my most embarrassing sailing stories....

Offshore racing years ago. We're in heavy wx and seas coming home downwind, think we hit 18kts that day (50'er). I was too sick to go below. We were taking a lot of water over the deck oscillating in waves and since I was so seasick I was no help in my usual crew position so I became railmeat. I couldn't hold it any longer, we're in foulies and looked to my friend who knew - he said "Just go!". It was like that part out of Dumb and Dumber where they are frozen on the scooter "Just go man, just go". Lol
They are really an essential device.

Imagine being on an expedition and being tent bound at 20,000' during a storm. Gusts past 60 kt, minus 30 or 40. It takes 40 minutes to get out of your sleeping bag and to get into clothing suited for the weather conditions. And also imagine just what 50 kt ice crystals feel like on your bare buns. The winds can knock you over and send you flying to your death. Get too far from camp and you may not be able to see it in the spindrift. Another way to die.

Guys have it easy. Just turn on your side and direct the stream into your pee bottle. Gals without the funnel risk soiling their sleeping bags to a much greater extent.

PS a good climbing partner will stick their hand outside the tent and empty your pee bottle for you.

PPS don't empty the pee bottle too soon. Put it down by your feet and feel the warmth.
evm1024 is offline   Reply
Old 19-02-2018, 17:50   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
PPS don't empty the pee bottle too soon. Put it down by your feet and feel the warmth.
to sage words of wisdom, haaa!
Seriously funny stuff. Seems like it should be part of a commercial....like the camping/climbing version of cuddling freshly warmed laundry before folding.
Old 19-02-2018, 19:37   #461
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Maybe because there's not a lot to talk about in terms of actual differences btwn. men & women living aboard & cruising, as opposed to those that are perceived or maybe just anticipated. Thus far we've heard from Zee about a lengthy period of male harassment, but it's also been suggested that this may be more about locale or where sailors opt to hang out. There are the well known & certainly real life issues of a certain number of husbands, boyfriends & others belittling women crew when sailing, as well as complaints I've heard from a couple of very capable female owners/captains who have had to endure stereotyping from clueless male boatyard staff, etc. And now it's about bodily functions. On my boat I encourage all the boys to go down below to use the heads. The girls? Well, no encouragement needed there.

I thought this thread was going to be more about hearing from single women about differences that us guys haven't had to deal with and so may not be aware of.
Ah but...

Solo sailing. As I coastal a lot solo, I DONT go below. Too busy and too risky. I have all my food and drinks at hand and a bucket. I can highly recommend Zojirushi thermos for keeping things hot or cold. I also recommend tying the end of the rope to the bucket somewhere...
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 19-02-2018, 20:42   #462

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
1. Do single women get treated oddly by others when they are single liveaboards? I think my friend Kathy is treated better by men than women at the dock, but I'm not sure why.

2. Are single females living aboard escaping society more than the single males living aboard? Is that rude? Is it just more accepted to see a guy in that position?
Back to original.....
OK admittedly, try as I might, I am not yet a live aboard. How ever my experience as a single woman spending time on boats is varied but not much.
?#1
*SOME Wives/girlfriends can sometimes become suspicious, jealous, cold or slow to allow your admittance/inclusion to the social aspects surrounding the sport/club/marina
*SOME men placated my interests, eg. explain something vaguely as though I wouldn't understand so why bother. Or ignored me and spoke to or assigned tasks to the men.

But those situations were rare and often over come. More often I felt welcome and appreciated.I can only speculate as to why the men are Kinder to Kathy than the women might be. So I won't.

?#2
SOME women may be trying to escape. When I finally become one that will not be my reason.

Gadagirl is offline   Reply
Old 19-02-2018, 20:49   #463
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Given the high cost of purchase and renting in Californian cities on the coast. More and more men and women are becoming liveaboards. Youtube has a number of videos on it..
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 19-02-2018, 21:50   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Back to original.....
OK admittedly, try as I might, I am not yet a live aboard. How ever my experience as a single woman spending time on boats is varied but not much.
?#1
*SOME Wives/girlfriends can sometimes become suspicious, jealous, cold or slow to allow your admittance/inclusion to the social aspects surrounding the sport/club/marina
*SOME men placated my interests, eg. explain something vaguely as though I wouldn't understand so why bother. Or ignored me and spoke to or assigned tasks to the men.

But those situations were rare and often over come. More often I felt welcome and appreciated.I can only speculate as to why the men are Kinder to Kathy than the women might be. So I won't.

?#2
SOME women may be trying to escape. When I finally become one that will not be my reason.

Hey thanks, Gadagirl!
I appreciate your honest take on the original questions. It was well-meaning curiosity at the start, but then a wild ride... Your demonstrated positive outlook probably affects how people treat you, regardless of the gender you meet.
Good luck with your future liveaboard plans!
cyan is offline   Reply
Old 22-02-2018, 18:28   #465
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Stop pointing fingers zee. Look inwards. Again you state hatred toward females by males. Its over. You wont accept and frankly at this point..
when are you folks going to QUIT ASSIGNING FEELINGS TO OTHERS just because they are in your head. get over yourselves.
your rampant use of game tools--projection and such is shameful.
you assign to me feelings YOU are feeling, totally unaware of me or my lifestyle and happiness. yes happy comes from within. i am always happy. if you cannot read without editing--that goes for all of you who ASSume other folks feelings are being expressed instead of observations. biiiig difference. too bad so many of you donot know the difference.
your games push others away. is a tool of prevention, not of encouraging relationships with others in conversation.
there are very few of you able to read without editing and inserting your own feelings. you are doing no one, especially yourself, any good. you have confirmed the inability of human beings to be able to meet minds in a conversation without being obnoxious rude bullying and self absorbed. no objectivity , only subjectivity and projection.
boaty has it down perfect. he is who he is no apologies no splainations. as it should be, without use of game tools. there are few others in similar shoes.
the rest of ye donot know how to read.
might try learning that skill.
stop editing the words of others to get the meaning you crave, which is not the words that were written.
as for apology--get over yourselves. i didnot say anything warranting such action.
on the other hand, i am due an apology from the misreaders who deliberately edit and misread words of others to make their own agenda feel better to themselves. game tools. avoidance of reality. stop the games. no one appreciates being gamed.
zeehag is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single