Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2018, 22:07   #436

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

SailorCherry, i will never forgive you if you fall off the back of your boat standing up with your zipper down....

You know that is in jest of how many drowned sailors are found with their zipper down taking a pee off the fantail.....
alansmith is offline   Reply
Old 18-02-2018, 22:16   #437

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Pissing on a boat? Piece of cake compared to relieving yourself on an eight hour cross country glider flight where you are semi reclined and the cockpit is barely shoulder width .

Folks, why are we so focussed on the differences?

Prior to joining CF, I had gone through life without being aware there was a huge chasm between men and women.

I am lucky enough to have lived in an era where equal opportunities were available for education. I have never felt my gender was a negative when it came to looking for work, being promoted or the pay I received. I have participated in a wide range of sports and activities - skiing, diving, full & small bore shooting, gliding, sailing (including offshore racing) without much thought of gender differences. I also enjoy cooking and craftwork. So do many men. Why is segregation occuring here on CF?

As a group, women may on average have some different characteristics to men, but different nationalities also share different characteristics. Trying to deal with individuals based on group averages is not effective.

I think threads such as this simply perpetuate some myth that men and women belong to different species. This one has even earned itself a "hot topic" warning that I had to check I understood before I was permitted to post .

Evm commented "Really at this level of climbing there is teamwork and very little if any male/female ********". Why do we need any male/female ******** at any stage?

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply
Old 18-02-2018, 22:44   #438

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
I have to attach an image since the ebay listing will go away.
At first I thought it was a ................................
kmacdonald is offline   Reply
Old 18-02-2018, 22:44   #439

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Wow...i have always loved women. My mom would laugh so hard as an old woman she would forget to breathe...her face would turn into raddish colors. Sometimes you would have to slap her on the back to get her breathing again. It was quite comical.

Thank you for the poster EM something who linked the Cassie Jaye talk. I watched the whole 15-20 minutes of it. I want to say that it should be mandatory for every CF member to listen to it. Why? Because it educates us how we have terrible gender bias.

I want to quote her ...a remarkable talk...a much needed thought process for both men and women.

1. 'we need to peel back the layers of our own bias'
2. She found herself saying that her ego was correct in thinking she was right and that males are subhuman.
3. We need to invite all voices to the table and stop trying to silence the other gender.
4. Trying to silence one gender only makes the problems worse for all of us.
5. We have to stop "EXPECTING" to be offended.
6. We have to openly and sincerely start listening to the other side.
7. It will help us to understand ourselves better and others more correctly.
8. We need to start working towards solutions. Once we do that
we can heal from the inside out.

If you are a lady try to understand the man's side. If you are a man try to understand what the women are saying. Sometimes when a single word is missing in a post like 'some men' versus 'men' can have a generalization so profound that it starts a real 'dust up'...and for what reason?

I don't think...for me personally...that there is a better life style than having a woman who loves you...and who you love walking hand in hand through the shifting sands of time. My wife lights up my life and i am so lucky to have a good woman. I am blessed.

And like many of you...i have had my own disasters with the opposite sex. I am not bitter. It taught me about choices i've made and signals i ignored. I am a better person for having been through the refinement processes. Life is good. Health is everything. The nectar of love is sweet. I can't imagine to hate anyone for the color of their skin or their gender or their political or religious ideas. God bless us all to be more tolerant and less judgmental...seek to understand...seek not to judge. Works for me
alansmith is offline   Reply
Old 18-02-2018, 22:50   #440

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Pissing on a boat? Piece of cake compared to relieving yourself on an eight hour cross country glider flight where you are semi reclined and the cockpit is barely shoulder width .

Prior to joining CF, I had gone through life without being aware there was a huge chasm between men and women.

I am lucky enough to have lived in an era where equal opportunities were available for education. I have never felt my gender was a negative when it came to looking for work, being promoted or the pay I received. I have participated in a wide range of sports and activities - skiing, diving, full & small bore shooting, gliding, sailing (including offshore racing) without much thought of gender differences. I also enjoy cooking and craftwork. So do many men. Why is segregation occuring here on CF?

As a group, women may on average have some different characteristics to men, but different nationalities also share different characteristics. Trying to deal with individuals based on group averages is not effective.

I think threads such as this simply perpetuate some myth that men and women belong to different species. This one has even earned itself a "hot topic" warning that I had to check I understood before I was permitted to post .

Evm commented "Really at this level of climbing there is teamwork and very little if any male/female ********". Why do we need any male/female ******** at any stage?

SWL
I think it has to do with the age of the members here. Older people are more traditional in their thinking than younger generations. On average maybe a little less tolerant also. Prejudices seem to diminish with each new generation. That's not meant as a justification, just a potential reason.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply
Old 18-02-2018, 22:52   #441
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

Prior to joining CF, I had gone through life without being aware there was a huge chasm between men and women. As a group, women may on average have some different characteristics to men, but different nationalities also share different characteristics. Trying to deal with individuals based on group averages is not effective.

SWL
It depends on what type of mindset the female has. For those like you who embraced the freedom to do what you want, you took to it with the inconveniences that occurred along the way and relished it.

(I will never tell her but JPA Cate, has my eternal respect for being a single minded, experienced and practical sailor. Of mature years and still sailing, reading her accounts of different aspects of sea life, food management, inconveniences, some health issues etc, I wonder how many men would have thrown the towel in when faced with knee surgery etc.)

Many women want the experience but will not adapt to the inconvenience. Im thinking of one in particular who would wake me after my watch and she took over, because she needed to go pee.. once an hour for 4 hours... I asked why she didnt either wake her husband or use a bucket.... wrong question..

Also.... this is the reason for the sales of large Catamarans that are like apartments... no compromises on living standards.

I guess real women sailors adapt well.

Ps I never usually needed to pee in a glider. (never flew more than 2 hours) One day, was losing altitude fast. Saw some cooling towers so went to get the lift from them... It was so hard and fast, the wings almost flexed vertical....I needed to pee that day.
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 18-02-2018, 22:55   #442

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
This is currently in my eBay checkout box. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can wee away off the stern all I want, hahaha!!!

https://goo.gl/images/sr1RcB

Beat me to it, was going to link to this: Shewee NZ – The original female urinating device
Kerry1 is offline   Reply
Old 18-02-2018, 22:57   #443
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I never knew.

You know the fascinating subliminal thing about these products.. the women get a choice of colours...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pee.png
Views:	65
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	164410  
Old 18-02-2018, 23:03   #444
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 18-02-2018, 23:15   #445

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Weav, your post was a classic example of targetting and segregating females. Your comments apply to all people, not specifically females.

I've fixed your post for you :

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
It depends on what type of mindset the female person has. For those like you who embraced the freedom to do what you want, you took to it with the inconveniences that occurred along the way and relished it.

(I will never tell her but JPA Cate, has my eternal respect for being a single minded, experienced and practical sailor. Of mature years and still sailing, reading her accounts of different aspects of sea life, food management, inconveniences, some health issues etc, I wonder how many men other people would have thrown the towel in when faced with knee surgery etc.)

Many women people want the experience but will not adapt to the inconvenience. Im thinking of one in particular who would wake me after my watch and she took over, because she needed to go pee.. once an hour for 4 hours... I asked why she didnt either wake her husband or use a bucket.... wrong question..

Also.... this is the reason for the sales of large Catamarans that are like apartments... no compromises on living standards (to satisfy non sailing partners, not specifically women - very few people enjoy the life at sea).

I guess real women sailors sailors adapt well.

Ps I never usually needed to pee in a glider. (never flew more than 2 hours) One day, was losing altitude fast. Saw some cooling towers so went to get the lift from them... It was so hard and fast, the wings almost flexed vertical....I needed to pee that day.
PS Your altimeter must have been singing for joy that flight .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply
Old 18-02-2018, 23:18   #446
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Weav, your post was a classic example of targetting and segregating females. Your comments apply to all people, not specifically females.

I've fixed your post for you :

PS Your altimeter must have been singing for joy that flight .
I concede to your point. Thank you.

We rose 18000 feet.. My stomach hit the floor on the lift.
Went back to single engine.

PS: Have a safe journey...
Old 18-02-2018, 23:23   #447
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 19-02-2018, 08:14   #448
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I give up.... what is pool noodle?
https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/jumbo-pool-noodle
john61ct is offline   Reply
Old 19-02-2018, 08:28   #449

Quote:

SWL
You bring up great points. However, the original point of the thread was to help me better understand why there were so few female sailors out there. (that were not one part of a sailing couple). I think that question was addressed very well, and then the thread kept going.

Your own adventures speak volumes. You represent the exact case that my daughter was searching for. She found many similar examples, but EVERY ONE was virtual: blogs, vlogs, and books. There are female stand-up paddle boarders down at our marina, but that is the extent of her female adventurer inspirational contact IRL. Her college classmates are already dialed in for their future rat races. I think it's different in Europe, but American college students don't typically take a year and explore the world before working. They jump right in, sadly. My family is planning a South Pacific cruising trip soon, and she may join us for part of it, but I think she really wants to venture out on her own. (The lack of a planned END to our trip has her scratching her head, haa.)

The old lady on her own boat in our marina is frankly a scary sign to her, but our only local example.(I really like her, BTW) Gamayan rightly pointed out earlier in this thread that a 20-something woman does not need to hear middle-aged (or older) female voices from CF. This is a new era, and the resistance that older women speak of has thankfully faded in many areas.

This thread was never going to be a kumbaya deal where men and women compare similarities. It's initial questions were aimed at the differences. That was the point, in order to find a reason for the gender disparity among single sailors. (BTW, I find it very interesting that several of the women who contributed here are from the San Francisco Bay area, which in the US is quite a "progressive" region.)

Older men and women arguing about obsolete biases is obviously not helpful, but it might be a bit offensive to insist that only younger folks comment. Anyway, your stated myth of different species for men vs women is silly of course, but the myth that we are identical is perhaps harmful as well. Harmony requires understanding and respect. I doubt we can have these good things if we hide our differences as unspeakable taboo.
cyan is offline   Reply
Old 19-02-2018, 09:29   #450
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Gee I'm not sure what all the discussion about bodily functions is about. I generally just go down below to the head when underway. Mind you I only do that when there is no traffic within 10 minutes of me and nothing hard to run into. Same with getting a glass of tea or grabbing a bite to eat while underway.

No biggy and it's what all single handers do.

Of course if there is traffic or bridges (or other hard things to run into, etc. I wait a bit. Been doing it for a fair amount of time. The whole you can't go below ever when on watch, only works for crewed boats. Single handers MUST go below sometime while under way.

Every marina I visit, has women living aboard boats alone. Some cruise a bit, others are more just liveaboards and rarely (or never) take the boat out. It is getting more common to seeing single women aboard. Of course most, but not all are probably over 50 year old. Though there have been younger 20 somethings too.

Myself, I much prefer being away from the dock in quiet anchorages.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single