Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 06:08   #16

Re: Sea sickness question??

I just read an article written by a woman with very similar sounding issues-as much anxiety about getting motion sickness as anything else. She found complete recovery from it through hypnosis. Might work.

https://www.mywanderlustylife.com/pe...sickness-cure/
dreadpiratk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:52   #17

Boat: 26ft sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
If she hasn’t tried Stugeron, it might just work. Readily available over the counter except in US. You can mail order it from canadadrugsonline.com

Get the 25mg pills. My wife takes just half a pill which is closer to the 15mg size you get in the UK. Take a pill the night before the trip, when getting up, and then when first hitting seas.

https://www.canadadrugsonline.com/DrugMoreInfo5659.aspx

Experiment until she finds the best dose.

Have her be at the helm

I also get wozzy in 1 metre, 1.5m swells on the great lakes and have been interested in this "Stugeron" , I clicked your link, got to the web site, typed in 'stugeron' and this is the message:

canadadrugsonline.com Search Results

Your search for Stugeron returned no results.

Not sure what I am doing wrong? any ideas?

OurOasis
Old 05-07-2021, 09:01   #18

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurOasis View Post
I also get wozzy in 1 metre, 1.5m swells on the great lakes and have been interested in this "Stugeron" , I clicked your link, got to the web site, typed in 'stugeron' and this is the message:

canadadrugsonline.com Search Results

Your search for Stugeron returned no results.

Not sure what I am doing wrong? any ideas?

OurOasis
Try again. I did the same search and they have 100 tabs 25mg for US$40 and 100 tabs 75mg for US$97. Both made in India. Good luck .
Old 05-07-2021, 09:45   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Sea sickness question??

Sturgeron is a brand name for cinnarizine which is an motion sickness treatment. It is not available in the USA, but widely available in the U.K. for example (over the counter ) there is also Sturgeron Forte which is a larger dosage.

It is effective but can be very drowsy.

However in my view your wife is not suffering from sea sickness
Old 05-07-2021, 14:26   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

....And, it is also true that hypnotism might help. Using affirmations as I did, is a form of self-hypnosis.

Ann
Old 05-07-2021, 21:28   #21

Boat: Bavaria 38E

There’s a prescription antiemetic out there (ondansetron) with the brand name of Zofran which is very effective against nausea. However, I don’t know if typical seasickness causes the type of nausea against which Zofran would be specifically effective. It comes as a dissolvable (under tongue) tab and works fast. So it should be possible to take it after onset as it is not swallowed. I’ve used it to combat nausea from other causes as I don’t get the mal de mar.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 22:43   #22

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auklet View Post
There’s a prescription antiemetic out there (ondansetron) with the brand name of Zofran which is very effective against nausea. However, I don’t know if typical seasickness causes the type of nausea against which Zofran would be specifically effective. It comes as a dissolvable (under tongue) tab and works fast. So it should be possible to take it after onset as it is not swallowed. I’ve used it to combat nausea from other causes as I don’t get the mal de mar.

My wife tried Zofran for our last passage to Tonga. It helped a bit but she was still sick a few times, possibly less than if she hadn’t taken it. But she suffered really bad constipation as a side effect. YMMV

Next passage to Australia she will try a Scopaderm patch.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:08   #23

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
My wife tried Zofran for our last passage to Tonga. It helped a bit but she was still sick a few times, possibly less than if she hadn’t taken it. But she suffered really bad constipation as a side effect. YMMV

Next passage to Australia she will try a Scopaderm patch.
That’s unfortunate. I never had to take much of it as on a schedule. Only for intermittent bouts of nausea landside that I could suppress with single doses “as needed.” There might be days between doses, etc. Thus, no accumulation to produce the side effects. It might work out better for use on short passages, or for daysails.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:03   #24

I would recommend a battery operated device call Relief Band. (Www.relief and.com)
My friend has used it for 2 weeks in the Med and only been seasick 1 time.
Mike on Szaffi, Jeanneau 45DS in Greece.
Good luck.
azmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeasy123 View Post
She gets an anxiety attack and either experiences the trip as a white knuckle ride gripping the hand hold in the cockpit or lying eyes closed in the sea berth...
Sea sickness chemical solutions are not likely to solve a problem with anxiety.

WHY is she having an anxiety attack? Is she afraid the boat is going to sink, capsize, or fall apart? Is she afraid she is going to fall out of the boat or get hurt?

Me thinks on needs to get a handle on the anxiety then work on the seas sickness. Certainly having an anxiety attack is just going to make sea sickness worse, if the anxiety goes away, hopefully the sea sickness will be minimized, and if one is lucky,the sea sickness would just disappear.

I am really surprised she even gets on a boat. Be really, really, really nice to her for trying.

I have family members with anxiety. It is a real problem. One family member has a fear of flying. Does not like to fly but will if needed. Found out a few years ago that the family member witnessed an Air Force bomber blow up and crash when a child. I asked if maybe that was the source of the fear of flying. There was a pause and an answer of yeah, that might be it. Until late in life, this person never figured out WHY they had a fear of flying.

Git to the bottom of the anxiety.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:04   #26

I used to have a very dynamic job. Made most people sick. If I wasn’t at the controls, I would get some pretty bad nausea.

At the controls? No problem. So...helming can help.

It seems like rolling is what gets people. Sitting at anchor in a sea state? The worst.

That said, I agree with the others. Having taken a handful of landlubber females sailing, this sounds like anxiety on top of motion sickness.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:59   #27

I second the posts that emphasize that your wife's malady is not so much her body's reaction to unanticipated, unaccustomed motion as it is the manifestation of anxiety.

As a sailing instructor years ago I had to deal with atavistic behaviour on every Crooze'n'Learn. People can't help it. It's a self-preservation reaction like "fight or flight". Women are, I regret to say, more susceptible to it than men, in many cases because they only "go to sea" to please their men-folk. They don't really want to be there at all.

Now, MyBeloved had NEVER been in any kinda boat till she was past retirement age. The first time we went up along the shore there was a patch of sea state 3, and she threw herself on her belly on the cabin floor holding on to the dinette stanchion for dear life. The kitty-kat was also there, his claws dug to the carpet on the sole :-)

So I took them in behind a break water and let things settle. Then I taught her to handle the helm, and bit by bit she became comfortable and confident with little things like crossing waves obliquely, and all the other "tricks" that are old hat to you and me. But all the practice I gave her was backed up with gentle, careful explanations of just why we do things the way we do them, which is to say that her FEAR was reduced because now she had a rational understanding that there is nothing to be afraid of. And she also developed a RATIONAL understanding of when fear IS a required and appropriate reaction, and when the time has come to hand over to someone more experienced so she doesn't have to cope alone with what she is afraid of.

So these days we may be coming into the open Strait from Porlier Pass and she's leaning over the wheel and asking, full of anticipation, "Is this state 5 yet? Is it? Huh? Is it?"

And the moral of that tale is that it is YOUR job, GoEasy, to quell your wife's fears and to build her confidence. That, among many other things, is what she pays you so handsomely for :-)!

Best of luck!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:37   #28

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Agree with get her sailing on small boats and taught by someone other than you. It will work better. If she still gets seasick then the Relief Band is beyond awesome. My ex got sick looking at the boats from the dock. Actually she was fine on Cats but monos and power... I put one of these things on her and went out 15 miles to an island, turned sideways to the waves, no issues. Had a client who was green and ready to hurl on his new yacht, put it on him and 5 minutes later he was below asking the cook to make something for him to eat.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness