Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 14:18   #1

sea sickness

What happens if you left gran canaria for a atlantic cross and getting
sea sickness after a short time... Do you recover yourself after a day or whats the recipes?
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 14:29   #2

The only sure fire cure for sea sickness is to sit for a couple of hours under a tree.
oldsalt_1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 15:06   #3

I can only speak for myself... I was at sea for a month and thankfully did not get seasick. As a precaution, I took seasickness medicine before leaving and during the first day (though I'm not sure that had anything to do with my "success"). We had rough seas right off the bat. Some of the other crew were pretty ill for the first 24-48 hours. Staying out on deck and keeping sight of the horizon seemed to help them a little bit. Otherwise, they just had to fight through it and do what they could, and the rest of us picked up the slack until they recuperated.
SMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 15:13   #4
Kai Nui

For some, it goes away. For others, it can be the most miserable extended period of time of your life. I spent 10 days seasick on an expedition, years back. It did not go awayuntil I returned to land. Since then, I have only gotten sick a few times, and nothing near that bad (Few things guarantee seasickness than changing fuel filters in a hot engine room, on a rolly sea). If you choose to use seasick meds, take them before you need them, or they do not work. If you get sick, I have found laying on my back on the deck is the only thing that gives any relief.
Old 03-07-2008, 15:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post
The only sure fire cure for sea sickness is to sit for a couple of hours under a tree.

I can take a tree with me.
Old 03-07-2008, 15:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
For some, it goes away. For others, it can be the most miserable extended period of time of your life. I spent 10 days seasick on an expedition, years back. It did not go awayuntil I returned to land. Since then, I have only gotten sick a few times, and nothing near that bad (Few things guarantee seasickness than changing fuel filters in a hot engine room, on a rolly sea). If you choose to use seasick meds, take them before you need them, or they do not work. If you get sick, I have found laying on my back on the deck is the only thing that gives any relief.
A friend of mine was cleaning after his daughter was seasick in the roof, and that was also good if you want to get seasick yourself.

If you are alone and seasick, are you capable to sail? with autopilot... or do you want to die?
Old 03-07-2008, 15:20   #7
cruiser

Stugeron made by Jantzen works well. The Mexican 75 miligram ones work better than the British 15mg ones unless you take 5 of the Brit ones.
Candied ginger works for me most of the time.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 15:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
10 days,no thanks... And a atlantic cross is over 20... sounds nice.
Old 03-07-2008, 15:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel View Post
Stugeron made by Jantzen works well. The Mexican 75 miligram ones work better than the British 15mg ones unless you take 5 of the Brit ones.
Candied ginger works for me most of the time.
Brent
5 x 15 is 75, so with 75miligram works good with both.

Candied ginger! Thanks, i will remember.
Old 03-07-2008, 15:32   #10
Kai Nui

To your other question, I suppose it is up to the individual. I have managed to get done the tasks that I needed to while I was seasick, but those less important things, like eating, communicating with other people, changing clothing, did not make the list. Best thought is to do what you can to avoid it, especially while alone. Find out if you get seasick first, with someone else on board who is capable of handling the boat. If you do get seasick, try the meds, while you have someone else on board.
Old 03-07-2008, 16:05   #11

Generally good advise. Some other comments:

All of the meds have side-effects. Take a dose a few days BEFORE you depart. I have had some folks indicate that Stugeron does not make you drowsy. One client took it and was down for 12 hours. I find Scopolamine gives me a very dry mouth. Follow the direction for Scopolamine carefully; the skin must be absolutely clean and dry, wash your hands after applying, do not touch your eyes, and do not touch the patch.

I use a generic version of Gravol.

Avoid talking / thinking about getting sick. It seems to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If one person gets sick, it may become contagious. It affects me that way. Fortunately, I get sick and go back to work.

If some is incapacitated, they should lay on the centre line of the cabin sole with their eyes closed. They may also need re-hydration.

Avoid alchohol, greasy food, spicy food, strong odours, etc..

Get sick to leeward

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 16:45   #12
Kai Nui

Quote:
Get sick to leeward
I think that is the most valuable advise I have seen in awhile
Old 03-07-2008, 17:07   #13

Boat: Catalac 10M
Eat canned peaches.

Doesn't prevent it but tastes a whole lot better coming back up!
thims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 17:08   #14

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Avoid talking / thinking about getting sick. It seems to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If some is incapacitated, they should lay on the centre line of the cabin sole with their eyes closed. They may also need re-hydration.

Avoid alchohol, greasy food, spicy food, strong odours, etc..

Get sick to leeward
I agree 100%

When I first went on a fishing boat, I was so crook that I was still trying to vomit with nothing left in my stomach 
Name:   pirate_19.gif
Views: 1528
Size:  1.3 KB
Must of been the large waves in the Cook Strait & the smell of the diesel engine & thawing barracuda fillets (bait).

Since then, I've only been crook if I've caught a virus (cold/flu) or been on the greasy foods or booze 
Name:   pirate_17.gif
Views: 1536
Size:  11.4 KB
the night before. If I did feel sick, then I didn't try to hold it back. I just sat on the deck in the fresh air & drank a small amount of water. Sometimes I spewed & sometimes I didn't, but I could always work no probs

Its normal to be a bit quiet on the first day or two if its a bit lumpy (10'+) on the water 
Name:   pirate_01.gif
Views: 1486
Size:  14.2 KB

Sometimes a good trick is to sleep on the boat the night before, it can help your body get use to the boat's motion at the wharf.
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 17:18   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Last weekend I had the 3 boys on board. My son never gets seasick and another boy has lived on a 53 foot ketch since birth. We had to make a one hour sea stop for immigration. Both boys were in the cabin watching DVDs and both got seasick bobbing around waiting for the immigration boat.

Both came up on deck and looked a bit green. As soon as we were under way again they were fine.

Avoid the cabin, stay focused on the horizon, find things to occupy yourself. I do beleive that for some it is inconquerable and in that case after trying all teh tricks you may have to give up boating.

Some believe that seasickness is exacerbated by stress, fear and the like. I think this is true. Lot's of folks I have taken flying get airsick but have never had any other motion sickness.

I am sure it sucks, but I am lucky to have never suffered from any motion related sickness.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness