Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2021, 21:19   #1

Boat: FARR 40 Phase 4, 12 metres
Smile Hello fellow sailors

I'm knew to this site, a relative novice at cruising and I have a dirty secret.

I am also one who places great weight on the forgiveness and wisdom of my elders. But that is not the secret.

I was immediately infected with the love of canvas and the sea, when I first set foot on 'Gretel', whilst on a school trip as a 14 year old (cabin) boy. Since then, I have dreamed of circumnavigation. Not in some crazy way - just making it around safely with my beloved.

My brother and I have had a 40' Bavaria but currently have a Farr 40 Phase 4. We've mostly sailed up and down the east coast of Australia. Fun boat, that likes to sail fast. Its done two Hobarts so it's pretty seriously kitted. We are gearing up and training for a trip to Lord Howe Island. Mostly we just want to upgrade the Auto Helm and better sort dinghy storage for the big blue.

So besotted have I always been with the tradition and romance of sail, that I could only ever imagine myself on something like a Pan Oceanic 43. I even confess, I have at times been was one of those sailors who called motoryachts "stink boats" and such. Still, I have been out on plenty of big motorboats and enjoyed myself....

And so imagine my surprise to be now coveting one....!

In fact many, to be precise. I keep coming back to the flybridge cruisers at around 50 feet. In terms of space and liveaboard-ability, there is just no comparison.
And whilst I will ever love the canvas, I have also slept like a baby to the thrum of a marine diesel engine many times.

I find myself increasingly thinking there's a lot to be said for picking up the pick and pointing the ponies wherever you want to go, whenever you want to go in a dependable blue water passage maker My beloved, not being so much a fan is me of healing over, would love it.

I get my dream of liveaboard cruising. Bride gets it in whatever boat she wants sounds about fair to me.

I like the thought of something that is mostly reliable and affordable to run just cruising at maybe 10-12 knots. But I like the idea of moving quick if I have to and the quicker the better. Maybe 22-25 knots.

We really like two cabins and two heads in anything that floats with a massive aft cabin. I've always liked the idea of a pilothouse option for steering for both sail and motor and good access and space off the back.

I'd also love to know if anybody knew how we'd go living aboard in the Tweed River down near the mouth on either a mooring or on the pick.

That's enough to start a chat with someone surely.

Mark
BassDog357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello fellow sailors

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mark.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:10   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 00:21   #4

Thanks for those helpful suggestions. I have updated my profile and resubmitted my post with perhaps a more intriguing title. Cheers, Mark
Old 05-07-2021, 04:46   #5

Welcome to CF from windy FL!
Old 05-07-2021, 05:18   #6

Too bad you didn't keep the Bavaria 40', BassDog. That would have been just about perfect for long-term cruising for a couple.

I've done a sea trial out-and-back to Lord Howe and it's a gorgeous landfall.

Entry to the lagoon through the (very small) break in the reef MUST be done in daylight, however!

Happy boat-shopping. I have nothing to contribute regarding stinkpots, sorry. There was a recent thread regarding circumnavs and motorboats/trawlers, but I can't find it. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 15:28   #7

Thank you for sharing that LittleWing77.

Peace to you and yours wherever you may find it, and a fair wind.

Tags
sail