Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 06:44   #1
Retired from CF

Is the liveaboard life in a marina alive and well or near dead on life support in us

My question is, is the liveaboard life still easily doable in southeastern us at a marina? We are currently boatless, previously we lived aboard for 12 years and cruised, but been out of the loop for a while, i know places like deltaville va is tough, solomons md., 1 liveaboard per 1 hundred slips, and on and on, i am wanting to buy another boat and retire and sell the house, move around a little bit, but before devoting a substantial amount of money into the plan, i would like to hear from people out there doing it.
resoluute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 07:45   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Is the liveaboard life in a marina alive and well or near dead on life support in

It’s alive and well. Especially at a lot of the municipal marinas in Florida for instance.

You’ll have little trouble doing it and if you keep yourself and your boat looking good, you can even do it at many “non liveaboard” marinas.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 07:48   #3

Boat: Baba 35
Re: Is the liveaboard life in a marina alive and well or near dead on life support in

Tons of spots around Clear Lake Houston.

Easy as pie.

Guess its not East though.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 08:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’ve had no problems finding a Marina, but we do a few months at a time. Not continuously. I believe continuously is easier.
We sort of home base out of Jax now, but rumor has it they are going to build another Condo, if they do that, then there will be no parking, which means no car, and for us that means we will have to find a different Marina.

Our first home base Marina a Hurricane destroyed and I don’t think there are any plans to rebuild, most likely will turn into Condo’s.
So it’s my belief it’s slowly going away as I’ve not seen new marina’s being built, but I’ve seen many Condo’s
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 08:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

We never have an issue but we don't stay very long at one place for long.

If you have a clean and neat boat in sailing order and don't look like a hoarder barge or a floating meth lab I do not think there is much of an issue.

Avoid the term "livaboard" and use the term full-time cruiser. We try to get a weekly or monthly transient rate when we do (rarely) stay in a marina and rarely have any marina tell us we can't stay in our boat there.

Marina-owners and local municipalities have all had issues with "harbor trash" living in derilict floating hulks that wouldn't be able to move under their own power within any timeframe under that of weeks or months into the future. Many of the people who spend good money to keep their nice fancy boats in a marina do not want to see the Clampet family camped out on an eyesore the next slip over. If that is your intention and idea of "living aboard" expect to have some trouble finding a spot to tie up a floating hoarder hotel.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 09:02   #6
PHR

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49

I think on the west coast it is hard to find liveaboard space depending on budget and boat size. Liveaboards are restricted in most marinas, by boat size, location, numbers, pets on board, type of boat, people living there, and so on. I got past some of the negative feedback I was getting over the phone by putting on nice clothes, and taking a picture of my boat into the dockmaster to show what I was looking to berth there. It worked better, and I got past the "no space." Good luck.
PHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 09:09   #7

Boat: 41 Morgan 1971

Should be no problem. I move every 6 months or so. Currently at Burnt Store in Punta Gorda. Great place for hurricane season!
dduresky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 09:10   #8
TCL

Boat: 1979 Morgan 461, 46' sloop

I live aboard, as do folks on about a half-dozen other boats in my small municipal marina in Mississippi.
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 09:11   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

I liveaboard in SE Florida. Not all marinas cater to liveaboards, and those that do are generally very friendly As are the non-liveaboards around us - they generally seem quite happy that someone is there to keep a close eye on things, and I'm happy to oblige. We even have two big dogs, Rottweilers, and have rarely had any negative interactions. It helps that our dogs are super friendly, and just want to love on everyone. As someone else pointed out, it helps to keep your boat tidy, not clutter up the boat or the dock with your stuff, and generally have a positive attitude to the marina staff and the other boat owners.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 09:17   #10

Boat: Knysna 480

We’re in southeast Florida, Riviera Beach, in our “boat bubble”. Feels like the safest place to be in Florida. We take our tender out for a ride and swim almost every day. Best way to stay away from people.
Sailingveterinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 10:15   #11

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

Three years now at the same marina in Annapolis. As previous post said as long as you keep the boat in good condition and free of clutter and are generally a helpful person ....works out great ..other slip holders appreciate the extra eyes and help Marina really appreciates long-term Problem free rentals.
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 10:31   #12

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

I don’t quite understand the “liveaboard” issues. I assume it is someone who wants to live on their boat year round in the same marina seldom if ever moving their boat.

My wife and I have spent extended periods in marinas from Washington, DC to Grenada. We have never had an issue with living aboard our boat at any marina we have used. Maybe it is because we are crew who stays, maintains and operates the boat. Maybe because we are transients spending days, weeks or even months (7 months in one marina) in the same marina.

We had stayed in marinas the advertise “no liveaboards” without issue or question. This leads me to the conclusion that marinas that advertise “no liveaboards” may simply want to be selective about their long term clientele.

However, I am aware of selected locations which local statutes prohibit extended marina stays. Depending how the are written and how they are interpreted may limit or permit your intended stays.

If you are really concerned about the liveaboard issue then you are a transient boat with crew looking for an initial monthly rate and stay.

Good luck.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 11:52   #13

No Problem you can live on board if you own a boat slip in our Charleston SC.marina .
The Marina is the Harborage at Ashley Marina , 33 Lockwood Charleston SC.
I actually have a slip for sale as well as a beautiful well maintained french sailboat that is an ideal live on board and cruiser.
KimAKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 12:10   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by resoluute View Post
My question is, is the liveaboard life still easily doable in southeastern us at a marina?
Of course it is. Varies from place to place, marina to marina, and person and people on the boat/boats.
Old 15-07-2020, 12:53   #15
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

be aware that some marinas have a minimum boat or slip size. that can be anywhere from 30 to 40 feet for liveaboard or full time cruisers.

Tags
liveaboard