Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2020, 15:19   #1

Fountaine Pajot Tie Bar Question

Hi All,

We are looking at possibly moving to an FP but I've always had concerns over the quality of the tie bar between rudders in the larger FP's.

The bar appears to be a fairly light weight aluminium bar with simple stainless M8 bolts and nylon washers to connect.

compared to the majority of the market using heavier duty links, I'm concerned that we may be walking into a war zone for open ocean crossings.

Any experience (first hand or otherwise) would be really valuable.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.
DaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 16:03   #2

Re: Fountaine Pajot Tie Bar Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRed View Post
Hi All,

We are looking at possibly moving to an FP but I've always had concerns over the quality of the tie bar between rudders in the larger FP's.

The bar appears to be a fairly light weight aluminium bar with simple stainless M8 bolts and nylon washers to connect.

compared to the majority of the market using heavier duty links, I'm concerned that we may be walking into a war zone for open ocean crossings.

Any experience (first hand or otherwise) would be really valuable.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.
Can't be that hard to fabricate a replacement if you're really that concerned about it. And the implications of one breaking (which I haven't heard is a major issue) is what, you have one rudder doing nothing and steer with the other? Doesn't seem to rise to the seriousness level of, say escape hatches falling out? Maybe I'm missing something?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 16:45   #3

Re: Fountaine Pajot Tie Bar Question

for clarity, my question wasn't regarding life safety onboard but rather, is this something that others have questioned, found to be an issue with the FP's or indeed have experience fabricating and installing alternatives....

or, am I being over cautious and the quality control of Fountaine Pajot are such that these boats can be made blue water ready with relative ease.

sorry if I didn't phrase my previous post clearly. I didn't want to be misleading on this one. just genuinely interested to hear of others experiences and knowledge.

Cheers
DaRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fountaine pajot