Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 13:55   #241

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Don, I'll keep a lock-out for Nomad. We'll remain here in Beaufort, SC until monday
I'm at the Downtown Marina. Till Saturday AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 14:58   #242
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Well, Don brought "Nomad" to the dock and it looks like a piece of hard candy with the new Awlgrip well done and shiny! Obviously I meant "keep a look out", not "keep a lock out"!.....that does sound rude.
Old 12-10-2012, 15:42   #243

Great seeing you again, maybe next time we'll have some time.
Old 12-10-2012, 15:51   #244
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

thanx for keeping an update, please keep us all informed.
Old 15-10-2012, 15:11   #245

Sailed into Morningstar Marina, Thunderbolt Ga. last night after very pleasant trip down from Beaufort. Touched the ground once in Fields Cut, but that was my fault, Active Captain said to favor the red side half way through and I was still on the green side. But I didn't get stuck and kept going. It was dead low at the time. I figured that if I did run hard aground I'd rather do it at low tide than high.

After having Nomad pulled out at Johns Island and having the bottom cleaned I am seeing 6.5 knts at 2K RPM, used to be 5.3. If I push it up to 3K I only get .5 more so why waste the gas? I'm never in a hurry, if I were I'd have a power boat. I am still averaging .5 gph but I'm going 1.2 nautical miles further.

Now I am sitting in Thunderbolt waiting for my brothers to get here. But they won't be here till Oct 31. Well, I paid for 3 weeks, pay here or there, but it's cheaper here. We will sail outside to Jacksonville departing Nov. 1st.
Old 15-10-2012, 16:24   #246
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

She does look nice ...you seem to be having the best of times,things to remember ...fair winds and far places...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 16:36   #247

Don, just a quick thought that the diesel mechs may say I'm all wet about, but you may want to avoid long periods of motoring at 2K RPMs....diesels like to work harder than humans....even though you may not be increasing SOG by much, your engine may be happier in the longer term if you move the throttle up some.... I hear 75-80% of WOT may be the way to go.....just a thought to consider and do some research on....your situation may be different with prop, specific engine etc..... Regards. Bob
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 16:49   #248

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Thanks for all the updates Don.
Old 15-10-2012, 19:06   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob on OTTER View Post
Don, just a quick thought that the diesel mechs may say I'm all wet about, but you may want to avoid long periods of motoring at 2K RPMs....diesels like to work harder than humans....even though you may not be increasing SOG by much, your engine may be happier in the longer term if you move the throttle up some.... I hear 75-80% of WOT may be the way to go.....just a thought to consider and do some research on....your situation may be different with prop, specific engine etc..... Regards. Bob
I do run at 2500 RPM a lot of the time. I had heard that also, top is about 3300.
Old 15-10-2012, 19:08   #250

If your a lazy bugger and don't check out my blog you may have missed the picture of Nomad all glitzed up and in the water. here you go:
Old 15-10-2012, 19:10   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I use to live about 1/2 a mile away from where your at now Don. Use to be lots of shrimp boats along the drive there. Now just a bunch of condo's for the most part.

For a change of scenery, you could move the boat over to the Savannah city dock on river street (in the Savannah river). River street has quite a few pubs and restaurants. Plus lots o history and such in the area. If you go, go with the tides as the currents in the Savannah river are swift. Plus a bit of ship traffic in the river.

Not a whole lot in Thunderbolt (an old indian village). Though one of the oldest krispy kreem donut places is just a few miles away on Skidaway road just south of Victory drive. (or it use to be there anyway). All the shopping is over that way too..

Hope you have your "how to speak southern" translation book with you. Ya'll be good now....

BTW, pretty boat you have there...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 03:58   #252

Thanks,
Took my bike up to Victory Center yesterday, only 1 mile. Had dinner at Tubby's and breakfast at Larry's, both good. I've been to Savannah before (Not by boat) and will have a car starting tonight, so I will be down on River St. I wanted to be here for St. Paddys day, but that didn't work out.

It's 7AM and Larry's is calling for breakfast, gotta go.
Old 16-10-2012, 10:11   #253
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

HA, Everyone should experience St. Patrick's Day in Savannah at least once. Crazy then...

For those that don't know, There is a large parade (3rd largest after new york and boston) and then a really large party on river street. Green beer, green grits, green.. well near about everything... The party generally starts a day or two before March 17. About 300K folks show up in a city of about 180k.

Larry's is the place for breakfast for sure.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 11:25   #254
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Don, 'passed by the pretty Nomad on the 15th, Monday, at Thunderbolt & went on to anchor at Herb River,- now at Jekyll Island. 'maybe see you in Jax.
Old 25-10-2012, 17:40   #255

It's a beautiful night here in Savannah. Slight chill in the air, but still warm enough to sit outside without a shirt on. Hurricane Sandy is coming and you can feel it. I'm all battened down and secure, only looking at 30-40 knt winds so no worries. I was just thinking that I could still be in California, getting ready for bed, work in the morning, but I'm here; It doesn't get any better than this!

Tags
paracelle