Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   I Have Pulled the Trigger ! (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/i-have-pulled-the-trigger-69666.html)

Don1500 10-10-2011 09:01

I Have Pulled the Trigger !

I did it, sight unseen, I have offered to put down a deposit on S/V Kaleo! My terms are acceptable and they will be sending the contract tomorrow.
https://theroamingnomad.com/Boats/Kaleo.jpeg
She is a beautiful Aloha 34:
Specs:
Built in 1984
Hull #207 of approx. 250 built
LOA 34′
LWL 28’8″
Beam 11’2″
Draft 5’6″
Mast height 49′
Displacement 13,600 lbs
Ballast 4,700 lbs
Sail Area, Main 226 sq. ft. Working Jib 219 sq. ft., 150% Genoa 456 sq. ft.
Headroom 6′ 7″
Berths 6 x 6′ 4″
Water tankage 90 gal (3 tanks)
Fuel tankage 25 gal
30 hp Westerbeke diesel (3471 hours)

I have fully investigated this boat, the previous owner, the brokerage, and the broker. I have no fear that this is an honest sale. It is dependent on a full survey and other contingencies and I will not have any fear going into this deal.

TassieBloke 10-10-2011 09:13

Re: I have pulled the trigger!!!

Nice one Don, she sure is pruurdy :-)

Hope the survey works out for you, and no dramas come up.

I am totally gobsmacked that she has 6'7" headroom in a 34' boat!! I am 6'3" and have headroom trouble with anything under 40'. Might wanna stick in a bigger fuel tank ;-)

All the best with signing off the deal.

Cheers,

Bloke

James S 10-10-2011 09:26

Yes...congratulations Don.
And everything that Tassie Bloke said..... 6'7" is amazing at that length and 25gal fuel may be a little shy...we're gonna need way more photos!! when you get to her.

Edit...have you seen the owners group?
https://www.alohaowners.com/

Don1500 10-10-2011 09:27

That fuel tank was one of my thought, too. 25 Gal is a bit thin. But it has 3- 30gal water tanks, and a water maker (20gph), I could convert one of those tanks to fuel.

As for pictures: https://paulrosenyachts.com/cgi-bin/p...-rosen&id=3222

BareFtGrl 10-10-2011 09:39

Congratulations Don!! She's beautiful! :)

Rhapsody-NS27 10-10-2011 09:40

Wow, that was quick!

Nice to see you didn't waste any time getting your boat.
She looks good.

James S 10-10-2011 09:48

She is gorgeous!

tropicalescape 10-10-2011 09:57

Congrats..when you going to leave?where you going to go ?you want to race?where to?when?I bet ya 5.00 I beat you to the islands...I will be waiting..fair winds ..DVC

Steve W 10-10-2011 09:58

Congrats!

webejammin 10-10-2011 10:02

Nice looking boat congradulations. We have a Westerbeke 27 hp and 2 -18 gal tanks, you will be happy with the fuel use, ours gets 3/4 gal an hour at 2500 rpm at 7.5 kt's and that can take you a long way if you carry a couple of 5 gal cans you will be happy especially as a costal cruser. If you need parts some can be found at NAPA auto parts like fuel lift pumps at less than half price.

MarinerJo 10-10-2011 10:03

Congrats Don, She looks great! :thumb:

Don1500 10-10-2011 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_78 (Post 793510)
Wow, that was quick!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_78 (Post 793510)
Nice to see you didn't waste any time getting your boat.
She looks good.

Quick??? I have been looking for over a year! When you look for that long you can see a good boat fast, and you know what to look for on closer examination. I have eliminated many boats that looked good but didn't last. I have been investigating Kaleo for about 3 1/2 months. Kaleo was such a fine boat I wouldn't be able to find a better offer and I didn't want someone snagging it before I was able. With the house only 45 days from close I was not taking the chance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropicalescape (Post 793532)
Congrats..when you going to leave? where you going to go ?you want to race? where to? when? I bet ya 5.00 I beat you to the islands...I will be waiting..fair winds ..DVC

I will be a while getting to the Bahamas, probably next year (Dec 2012), right after hurricane season. And me race? No, I have come to sailing to enjoy the ride, not up the stress. I will meet you in the islands, if not the Bahamas, then Long Island, Cape Cod, or on the Chesapeake.

By the way, for all you that have not pulled the trigger, it is the most exhilarating and scariest thing I have ever done. As my signature says: -"May God protect this fool."

hummingway 10-10-2011 10:29

Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

I like it Don. Fair winds ahead!

pjop 10-10-2011 10:36

Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

I have followed your roller coaster search for your "perfect" boat and am thrilled that you finally found her. She is quite beautiful. Not too much draft, nor too little and short enough mast hiegth to get under the bridges in my part of the US. I would definately increase your fuel tankage though. While I am not in the hunt any more there are many who come to this site that are. I was wondering if there was any advise you could give to those searching for a boat that you wish someone would have given to you. I am sure each boat has different issues that may have killed the deal, but did you find anything particular in your search that cropped up repeatedly. Just wondering. Oh I forgot to ask, did the hammock and it's occupant come with?

Rhapsody-NS27 10-10-2011 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don1500 (Post 793538)
Quick??? I have been looking for over a year!

Sorry, I must have missed that post. I thought you were waiting for house to sell first then start looking.

Either way, You finally got her. Congrats! :thumb:
I look forward to reading about your adventures. :popcorn: