Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2013, 20:55   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Hobos Afloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I've worked in the homeless world before. There is a very large group of people, hobos is the right term, who don't want to assimilate into a healthy society.

They have no desire to "right" their situation because to them it's great. These people, exclusively, are the ones in street corners with signs.
Oh true. After 30+ years of work with six figure income for a good part of that time, with all the trappings of success, including a mortgage, 3500 sf home, 60-70 hour work weeks and a glorious 2 weeks vacation a year, I can say that being a boat bum-ette and scraping by month to month is FAR more enjoyable and relaxing then being assimilated back into a healthy society.

I don't have a sign though... Note to self, Get a sign.

Sorry RH just having a bit O fun there. Though it is hard for the over 55 unemployed to find new employment. I know of many people who are really hard up. I do not include myself in that category. Least wise not yet.
Old 17-05-2013, 21:10   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

So should the bums and hobo's be banned from society, moved to a island away from view, put into group homes, tossed in jail or what.
Didn't the British try this quite a few years back with some godfully hot rock in the South Pacific? Get rid of all the downers on society?

I lived in North Yorkshire for 3 years...I'm not sure it worked...
Old 17-05-2013, 21:14   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Your sentiments seem very well placed but there are some real complications with the derelict boats and boaters, sewage discharge being a major one.

I’m all for live and let live but keeping your rig presentable and not soiling the environment seem like reasonable and minimal requirements. It’s what good neighbors do ashore. I'm guessing that's what you do afloat.
AH but many bums / homeless are just scraping by. While having a clean and shiny boat would be nice, most bums don't have the cash to keep the boat shiny and eat too.

Plus there can be different interpretations of what presentable is. According to my delightful brother, my boat lacks a bit. Lets just say my boat has a pleasant salty exterior. Clean mind you with a dash of salt, but its been 20 years since the gel coat was shiny. THough I will say that I've been welcomed at every marina I stay at.

As far as good neighbors it depends on the neighborhood. I'm thinking you need to compare the bum boat to inner city miami for example.
Old 17-05-2013, 21:16   #34

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

This topic always attracts some form of polarity. Sure there are homeless on boats but in general an exception to the rule. I have been around some that are harmless and others that force me to move my boat. I'm ok if they keep to themselves and me the same. At least until a brown trout floats by.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 17-05-2013, 21:17   #35

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We are far from destitute. But we are far from well to do ! we don't owe anyone anything except for normal mo to mo bills for electric, and water. We own waterfront property in Louisiana, which cost less then 75,000 and because of this we pay no property tax on it! We do pay sales tax on everything we buy down here ! so we feel we pay our share! When we cruise, we go till we need to reup the Kitty, then we stop and work ! Connie being a RN can and has worked all over the place ! from Alaska to Panama, From Fla. to Maine. And I still make some money with diesels, and pick up work in machine shops most anyplace we have been! Now adays we no longer need to work to cruise! But we do cruise on the cheap! Cus thats the way we like it !We anchor, cook and eat 90% of our meals aboard, and injoy one anothers company! Play a lot of Crib, and we drink very seldom, so as long as the coffees not gone we are happy !! I think mostly it depends on what ya need to be happy! if it means marinas and nice dinners ashore, then your gonna need bigger bucks ! Thats just the way it works ! LOL for us less is better!
Old 17-05-2013, 21:22   #36

Quote:
AH but many bums / homeless are just scraping by. While having a clean and shiny boat would be nice, most bums don't have the cash to keep the boat shiny and eat too.

Plus there can be different interpretations of what presentable is. According to my delightful brother, my boat lacks a bit. Lets just say my boat has a pleasant salty exterior. Clean mind you with a dash of salt, but its been 20 years since the gel coat was shiny. THough I will say that I've been welcomed at every marina I stay at.

As far as good neighbors it depends on the neighborhood. I'm thinking you need to compare the bum boat to inner city miami for example.
No question that there are slums ashore and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. By presentable I really mean tidy and seaworthy, ie safe.
The sewage issue is very real though.
Old 17-05-2013, 22:05   #37

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
A bit of soap and scrubbing will clean their boats. They're just to darned lazy.
Old 17-05-2013, 22:13   #38

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Hobos Afloat

LOL for us less is better!

Says Bob from the deck of his 51' yacht docked in front of his waterfront home.

"How noble the law, in its majestic equality, that both the rich and poor are equally prohibited from peeing in the streets, sleeping under bridges, and stealing bread!" Anatole France
Old 17-05-2013, 22:20   #39
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I think equating a persons ability to pay taxes with their right (or the lack thereof) to be on the water is nuts. The government does not own the land or water, much as they like to believe they do. Nobody does. I pay loads of taxes, and I'm perfectly happy to share my space with whoever, as long as they aren't mucking it up. And I don't need authorities to enforce that for me, I'm perfectly capable of speaking my own mind.

In the last couple of months I've given a homeless man a job, taught him a trade, helped him buy a boat and fix it up, found him a live aboard slip for cheap, taught him to sail, etc. Another homeless guy off the streets. I've done it many times before and will again. Sometimes it sticks, sometimes it doesnt. Im pretty good at picking them. This country needs way more advocacy for the homeless, we are much too affluent a nation to have the problems we do. I have an informal sailing program for homeless vets as well, a close friend who has been homeless off and on for the last twenty years introduces me to candidates from his VA housing. Took him twenty years of hassle to begin to get his due from the VA. Shameful how we treat our vets. So many are on the streets.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 17-05-2013, 22:57   #40

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I think equating a persons ability to pay taxes with their right (or the lack thereof) to be on the water is nuts. The government does not own the land or water, much as they like to believe they do. Nobody does. I pay loads of taxes, and I'm perfectly happy to share my space with whoever, as long as they aren't mucking it up. And I don't need authorities to enforce that for me, I'm perfectly capable of speaking my own mind.
No, the government owns all the land and all the improvements on it. The property taxes you pay are just a form of rent. If you don't pay, the government will take the property, both land and improvements, away from you. And if the government otherwise wants your property, it will take it.
Old 17-05-2013, 23:20   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

In the last couple of months I've given a homeless man a job, taught him a trade, helped him buy a boat and fix it up, found him a live aboard slip for cheap, taught him to sail, etc. Another homeless guy off the streets. I've done it many times before and will again. Sometimes it sticks, sometimes it doesnt. Im pretty good at picking them. This country needs way more advocacy for the homeless, we are much too affluent a nation to have the problems we do. I have an informal sailing program for homeless vets as well, a close friend who has been homeless off and on for the last twenty years introduces me to candidates from his VA housing. Took him twenty years of hassle to begin to get his due from the VA. Shameful how we treat our vets. So many are on the streets.
Nice to hear someone is living in the solution rather than ranting about the problem. I just heard that LA has a 2000% back-log to the Vets getting help. It's shameful, frankly. I guess as long as the administration uses the excuse of needed more money and getting it, there is no hurry to correct anything.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 17-05-2013, 23:29   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Nice to hear someone is living in the solution rather than ranting about the problem. I just heard that LA has a 2000% back-log to the Vets getting help. It's shameful, frankly. I guess as long as the administration uses the excuse of needed more money and getting it, there is no hurry to correct anything.
900,000 vets currently waiting on disability benefits from the VA...at last count.
Old 17-05-2013, 23:32   #43
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post

Thanks for that. It's easy to say they are just lazy people, but the facts are much more complicated. Factors range from luck of the draw to upbringing and education, as well as diseases like mental illness and addiction. The human detritus of war has always been a big factor as well. This problem will only get worse as our present crop of returning vets ages, unless we get serious about doing something to help our fellow man. Personal action brings results.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 17-05-2013, 23:45   #44

I set up the PSR program (psychosocial rehabilitation) for a private Metal Health firm in Kona. I was amazed at my clients histories. Many of them who at one time in their life had Master degrees and great lives, only to surcome to Metal illnes to no fault of their own. I watched as family members abandoned them and society label them as a lost cause. My program outline was to try to teach them the basics of local transportation, shopping, personal health and addiction intervention. Slowly that private firm tightened up the money so rediculously thin, that it ended up as a daycare program with outings to the beach and library. It changed my outlook on people forever. I also did 2 years as an Adolescent Counselor at a Chemical Dependency residential treatment program in Ca. Same story...You get a different perspective when you're on the front lines, so to speak. We live in a disposable society...and not just bic lighters and diapers.
Old 17-05-2013, 23:52   #45

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
LOL for us less is better!

Says Bob from the deck of his 51' yacht docked in front of his waterfront home.

"How noble the law, in its majestic equality, that both the rich and poor are equally prohibited from peeing in the streets, sleeping under bridges, and stealing bread!" Anatole France
No waterfornt home just a dock and 75 ft of waterfront. is that less enough for ya ?? and the boats an 1980LOL