Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2018, 03:35   #91

Boat: Roberts 45
Re: Docking Interactions, or "Get Outta The Way, The Witch Is Here!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post

And sometimes boaters are useless, on one occasion somebody had such short dock lines that they couldn't dock in the box. Another time somebody threw me their line. Like completely. In a nice coil.

LOL, I think that one took the cake!

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 05:28   #92

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I'm late to this party and out here in the middle of nowhere on the edge of the Internet reading the whole thread didn't happen. Perhaps someone else has already made my observation:

Dockhands, most especially including marina staff, are the single greatest hazard to navigation we face.

Bad hitches, no concept of springing on or off, holding lines that I plan to pull against - it goes on and on. Add insisting on a particular line being tossed ashore (*I* am in charge of when and which lines go ashore) and the recipe is for disaster. We will manage just fine thank you even if "we" is me, myself, and I.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 05:30   #93

Always throw the loop end to people on the dock and insist they put it around a cleat or piling so you don’t get short tied. Nothing like having the bow of your boat tied tight to the dock so you can’t get your girl’s ass over.
Old 18-06-2018, 08:35   #94

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I'm late to this party and out here in the middle of nowhere on the edge of the Internet reading the whole thread didn't happen. Perhaps someone else has already made my observation:

Dockhands, most especially including marina staff, are the single greatest hazard to navigation we face.

Bad hitches, no concept of springing on or off, holding lines that I plan to pull against - it goes on and on. Add insisting on a particular line being tossed ashore (*I* am in charge of when and which lines go ashore) and the recipe is for disaster. We will manage just fine thank you even if "we" is me, myself, and I.
Unfortunately you see the reverse to often. A dock hand, with a marina for instance, that knows what he is doing and a "captain" that hasn't got the slightest.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:51   #95

Our docking procedure is that the lady runs the helm, and the gent handles the lines. Because our boat is small the gent can help with muscle if something unexpected goes wrong.

Occasionally we accept help. But it is always our choice, and quite often I will say "thanks but we are fine".

We also offer help, but are never upset if people prefer not to accept the help. Its their boat.
petermjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:13   #96

Boat: Hunter 386

We experienced a new one just the other week. I usually man the helm and she waits at the gate with the midship line. The bow and stern lines are draped over the life lines to be grabbed as needed. It's a system that has had us off and on a lot of docks in all sorts of conditions.

But on this occasion, coming into a dock, loaded with helpful people, in benign conditions, a women on the dock asked to take the midship line. After being told no, she then tried to grab it out of L's hands. Then she insisted her husband was going to help and wouldn't get out of the way. It was obvious she didn't really know what to do and made the assumption that any other woman must also be equally clueless.

Just a reminder that sexism isn't just a male thing
Old 09-07-2018, 10:38   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
The bow and stern lines are draped over the life lines to be grabbed as needed.

I too find this convenient. Unfortunately it can also lead to someone "helpful" grabbing the lines. More often then not that results in the bow being hauled in when that is not what I want. *sigh* It has also on more than one occasion result in the "helpful" person going for an unanticipated swim. Frankly the later bother me less.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:40   #98

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
I too find this convenient. Unfortunately it can also lead to someone "helpful" grabbing the lines. More often then not that results in the bow being hauled in when that is not what I want. *sigh* It has also on more than one occasion result in the "helpful" person going for an unanticipated swim. Frankly the later bother me less.
Ditto. On my current boat, I can keep the lines well out of reach, and usually out of sight, and they're still easy for US to reach.

On my last boat, I had at least one unintended swimming event, and quite a few nearly so, because my line was visible on the bow and the dock hands would go to heroic extents to try to reach it. Of course, it was deliberately OUT of reach, for all the reasons stated above.

Unless it's a tight slip with a cross wind or current, generally the bow is the LAST line I want to pass, yet it's always the one the dock hands want first.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:58   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Unless it's a tight slip with a cross wind or current, generally the bow is the LAST line I want to pass, yet it's always the one the dock hands want first.

Dock hands are the single greatest hazard to recreational boaters.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:33   #100

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Dock hands are the single greatest hazard to recreational boaters.
Lol.

I am starting to think docks/marinas are one of the distinguishing cultural differences between different geographical cruising grounds. Cleats vs. bullrails, uniformed dock workers vs. grumpy old wharfingers, pristine docks vs rafting up to dilapidated fishing boats. The only common factor is every one is generally helpful...sometimes too helpful.
Old 15-11-2018, 17:49   #101

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Marina workers and dock panhandlers excepted, whoever offers is usually always just a very nice person, trying to be nice, and helpful to a stranger.

Try hard not to be insulted or offended - we really don't need less people like this in the world.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 17:58   #102

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I always politely decline with a remark along the lines of “thank you for the offer, but I’d better master this process myself as you may not be here next time”. The reality is, most people do seem to pull on lines as though they can stop a boat, which, with our displacement, is not likely to succeed. More often than not they’ll inadvertently mess with your approach plan as a result.

I once got my approach completely wrong just as someone was walking along the jetty. In this case I said “yes please”, and after a few nail biting moments we managed to get tied along side. It was only after we were tied up that my saviour announced he was drunk as a skunk and as I watched him stagger off to his boat my mind was full of the awful implications of a 17 ton boat and a person in the water between it and the pontoon.
Old 15-11-2018, 19:02   #103

Always toss the eye to the pier so you can control the amount of line in use. Always step to the dock, not jump. If you think you have to jump, go around and make another approach.

When in doubt, power out!
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 20:40   #104
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Two bad dockings in 30 yrs and 22,000hrs in my log. Both instances were dock helpers whose help was politely declined but who reached far out to grab our bow line. We are single engine and if someone is pulling on your bow, you are helpless. Our boat was damaged twice...... neither helper offered to pay for the damage

Ever since that second incident it goes something like this.
A- Let me grab your line
B- No thanks we're fine
A- it's ok I got you
B- Please don't touch the lines.
A- I got it
B- Get your F'n hands off my lines or i'll f'n kill you.

PS. Ever notice the stanchions on the preferred side of your boat for docking are looser than the other side, or bent thanks to unsolicited help
Old 16-11-2018, 08:10   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Marina workers and dock panhandlers excepted, whoever offers is usually always just a very nice person, trying to be nice, and helpful to a stranger.

Try hard not to be insulted or offended - we really don't need less people like this in the world.

Agree. There is no point in being mean to well-intentioned people just trying to help. There is no point in handing them a line either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post
Always toss the eye to the pier so you can control the amount of line in use. Always step to the dock, not jump. If you think you have to jump, go around and make another approach.

I disagree. The eye goes on the boat. A bight goes ashore. The working end back on the boat. Complete and total control from the boat including for departure.

Most boats carry dock lines that are too short.

Tags
dock, Docking