Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 15:26   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Boat inventory app -

I've searched this topic, and find all sorts of advice. My wife keeps track of stuff in "notes" but it kind of sucks. No, please don't recommend Word or Excel. Been there done that. Here's what we are looking for:

An app that will track the location of crap in our boat. The app synchs between her phone and mine. It scans bar codes if the item has it. Quick and easy to use. The location and the item. Picture would be even better.

See, I joke with my wife about where she puts things. I use the 3 stooges when they are PIs. Shemp files the wig (it's evidence) under "D" for "Dandruff". I have what I think is the logical place, she has hers. And they sometimes don't jive.

TIA.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 17:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boat inventory app -

77 views and NO answers? Hmm.
Old 20-04-2021, 18:53   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Google docs for us
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 19:28   #4

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I use Sortly, an iOS app. It scans bar and QR codes, pictures can be added of items along with their storage location (in case you forget what "stbd fwd rear locker" means). You can search by item name or location (i.e. what is in the stbd fwd rear locker?).

You can set both the number of like items (e.g. fuel filters) and the minimum required inventory. Not sure what happens if the number drops below the minimum.

I have two boats and it keeps track of what stuff is on which boat and its location - a task that my brain struggles with.

It is subscription based, works online and offline and user support is actually pretty good.

I started with the free version and used it until I hit the maximum number of items. It was working well enough that I bought a subscription, about 4 years ago. I have the "Plus" plan - unlimited entries, 8 custom fields and 1 user license for C$61.99. More than one user costs more.

A simpler and free inventory app is "AnyList". It can be shared, can accommodate photos but as far as I can tell does not scan codes. Items and their location can be added using Siri or Alexa. We use it mostly for managing food (shopping and inventory - but the latter not on the boat, we use Sortly for food, particularly when canned and other long life storage items are put into hard to access locations).

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions re these two apps that I have been less than clear about.
Old 22-04-2021, 14:28   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Looking at Sortly and MyStuff2Pro. Sortly is not cheap. MyStuff is about $9. Looks like it might work.
Old 22-04-2021, 15:22   #6

Maybe a better thing?

Quote:
PartKeepr
Open Source Inventory Management
How often have you ordered parts you already had in stock, but couldn't find them? How often did you forget to re-order parts because your stock went low and you didn't notice? How often have you thought: „I just ordered at my distributor, but forgot an important part?“

https://partkeepr.org/
Old 22-04-2021, 15:23   #7

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I have an app for shopping. You can enter the items you want. You can create as many shops as you want. It lists aisles etc. Sync between my wife and me. Add photos. Use an app like this creatively and you have what you are looking for. I have OurGroceries on iPhone.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 15:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
I have an app for shopping. You can enter the items you want. You can create as many shops as you want. It lists aisles etc. Sync between my wife and me. Add photos. Use an app like this creatively and you have what you are looking for. I have OurGroceries on iPhone.
Was thinking pantry organising apps myself, a few out there
Old 23-04-2021, 08:50   #9

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We use Pantry Check. It allows for multiple locations and categories, barcode scan or photo, sort by location or category, stale dates, etc. I started using the app instead of a spreadsheet after losing a box of cotter pins, ordering another set of cotter pins, and subsequently finding the lost cotter pins in the butt end of a locker. It's not perfect and multiple users have to share one login.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 14:42   #10

Check out AnyList also. It is available for IOS and Droid. It was created as a grocery list so it has some amazing built in grocery list features but you can also create "any" lists you want to create

https://www.anylist.com/lists
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 15:43   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the ideas. My wife is a big "anylist" user. We'll try that and the others out this weekend.
Old 13-05-2021, 15:56   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I'm afraid if you find your nirvana app you'll spend far too much time keeping it up to date. Every time something gets used or brought on board you have to update the inventory.

We tried it, couldn't be bothered to keep it up.

Now we have things stored by category (Big tools in bin A, spares in Bin B & C, dry goods in locker 2, beverages in locker 3, etc etc). We know where to look and a quick look tells us the inventory level for that catagory.

Simple, less time to keep it up to date and more time for sailing.
Old 13-05-2021, 16:30   #13

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

From Jeff Siegel, founder of Active Captain before Garmin fouled it up:

>>> Keeping Track of Everything >>>

One of the most common questions we've been asked over the years revolves around the ways we keep track of our ships logs, maintenance reminders, projects, and other boating lists. It shouldn't surprise anyone that we use technology to solve these needs. We've learned some valuable lessons and will split them into a few newsletter segments to help others keep track of, well, everything. First, an overview of the things we database.

From the first moment we stepped onto our current boat in 2003, we've used the same databases. This provides us with an incredible wealth of information including every maintenance project, service, problem, destination, and many more details. Every time we've moved the boat, a log entry was made. Every drop of fuel we've purchased in 12+ years has a similar record. Every new piece of equipment that came onboard and every service task performed was logged. Our databases include every part on the boat including serial numbers, part numbers, manufacturer, and additional information we've learned about each part.

Although we've changed software products about 4 times in the 12+ years, the data has always been able to be moved ahead to the next generation.
That is the most important lesson - make sure any database you use has the ability to export into some type of open spreadsheet or database format like CSV or Excel. Being able to then import that data into the next tool means the data can continue to live on. We're reminded of how important that is whenever we wonder how long it has been since we've been to a particular place, where we first met friends like Don & Cindy, or how to pair the Garmin autopilot remote (it's a note in the Garmin parts record).

Another important lesson we've learned is that the data has to reside on our phone. A normal spreadsheet on a laptop is adequate, but having the data with you, in your pocket, provides numerous benefits. First, adding and editing records is trivial. There's no writing down information on pieces of paper for data entry onto the laptop. Your phone is always around you. It's incredibly convenient to make frequent additions at the exact moment you think of it.

Another advantage of having the databases with you all the time is that the information is available wherever you are. When we were in Salem, MA a few years ago, there was a marine supply store going out of business and selling their huge inventory of zincs. We pulled the phone out and had all the part numbers we needed to take advantage of hundreds of dollars of savings. Whenever we're in a Walmart or Home Depot type of store, before we leave, we check the phone to see what items we need to complete current or upcoming boat projects.

So here are the 7 databases that are always with us:

- Projects: a list of the outstanding boat projects being worked on. It has a list of projects including items that need to be purchased alongside the tasks that need to be completed. Each item has a month providing a "deadline."

- Captain's Log: the major database containing every action that has been done on the boat. Boat movement, maintenance performed, new items added, and much more all have individual records.

- Fuel Log: a special database that lists every time fuel is purchased.
It uses the previous purchase to automatically provide a running gallons per hour display. This is a great way to check on any changes to engine efficiency. The first entry was made on May 8, 2003 when we purchased
515.17 gallons of diesel at Herrington Harbor North for $1.25/gallon.

- Maintenance: this database lists all the maintenance items that need to be done by elapsed time or by engine hours. It's the place to put reminders about common things like oil changes or uncommon things like rudder post check reminders. The items are sorted showing the things that need to be done next. Once an item is completed, its date/hours are incremented and an entry is made in the Captain's Log.

- Parts Database: a list of every part on the boat that we need to keep track of. Over the first couple of years, we spent many hours poking around the boat to record serial and part numbers. We also write notes about any part along with phone numbers and vendors who have the part.
When something new is purchased, it goes into the database before it is installed on the boat.

- Spares: a list of all major boat spares and where they are located.
We always go through every item in this database before taking off on longer trips to make sure we have all filters, pumps, hoses, and a hundred other items. When something is used, it is removed from the list. This database also has the location of each spare since these types of parts tend to be hidden away and hard to find just when you need them most.

- Engine Room Log: measurements taken at each engine room check. To be honest, we stopped logging these measurements after 8 years of doing them every hour while underway. We found it very valuable during those early years - it let us know when coolers needed to be cleaned and pointed to other minor problems before they became major ones. By now, we know every reading to within a degree and immediately know when additional attention is needed. Still, this was an incredibly valuable tool in figuring out what to measure along with giving real data to help us learn about our boat.

Those are the only 7 databases we use. For the last 7 years, we've been using HanDBase for iOS, Android, and Macintosh. The Mac version is used to back up the phone data. All real data entry and viewing is done on phones.

Future newsletters will look at the design of each database. The tools for creating and using these types of record storage are very simple.
When the series is complete, we'll provide blank databases for each of our personal ones as starting points for your own use.

A couple of weeks ago we wrote a newsletter segment about how we keep databases of projects, logs, parts, and fuel purchases. It generated a lot of emails and responses. So we thought we'd dig into the subject a little deeper and give the next set of ideas about the things we've learned by keeping these databases at our fingertips over the last
13 years.

We're using off-the-shelf database tools to create our solution. While there are many solutions that are laptop or web-based, they have severe limitations. Our databases are used almost every day because of one incredibly important feature - they are fully functional on our phones. Laptops and online solutions aren't good enough because there are too many advantages to having the information accessible and with us all the time.

For example, just recently we found ourselves in one of those "Dollar"
stores. The same thing happens in every store we visit - out pops the phone to open the project database. That database is a catch-all place listing the projects we're working on and a reminder list of the things we need. Opening it on this day reminded us that we wanted a couple of those large cellulose sponges for the engine room. There is no better place to buy them than a Dollar store. And there's no way we would have remembered we needed them. But having the entire list of projects in a pocket? Now the sponges are off the list.

Online usage is a problem too. We want full access to all the data when offshore, in remote locations, or in our engine room where cell phones rarely work. The solution has got to be mobile and that means it must run on iPhone and Android, somehow.

A lot of people had the idea to use Google Docs for the platform today.
Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms are a web-based word processor, spreadsheet, form processor, and slide creator. It's collaborative between users or locations. It's free. And there are free apps for Android and iOS from Google that synchronize the data and keep it offline on the mobile devices. We've used Google Sheets for online task lists with other developers and it has worked incredibly well.
If we were starting over with our databases, we'd likely try using Google Docs first. It's something you should be aware of for many different reasons. Check out more information on it here:
https://www.google.com/docs/about/

So let's dig deeper into a couple of the databases to show how simple this whole thing is. First, that Projects database currently has 20 projects listed. There are some simple things - we need 5 more hose nozzles because we have no more spares after having 2 go bad in the Bahamas. Then there are longer-term projects - we want a bow eye installed at the waterline to significantly reduce the rode we need when anchoring because of our 10 foot bow.

The project list usually grows to about 50 items in the fall when we typically start our "season" of cruising. The database is a simple list of records. Each record stores fields of data. We used to have about 8 fields for all types of special data collection. But that has filtered down over the years to records with only 3 fields now:

Item - the name of the project. This is used for sorting the list of all projects. Whenever the Project database is opened, the list by item name is displayed.

When - a popup list allowing selection of any month, season, "now", or "long term." This field designates when we'd like the project to be completed. With a couple of taps, the list is sorted by this field allowing us to make sure that all, let's say, Fall and October projects have been completed by the time we start heading south.

Notes - a free form text field where we type notes about the specific project. For things like sponges, there's not a lot of need for notes.
But for the bow eye project we've been thinking about for 4-5 years, it's a great place to store tidbits as we learn new things.

And that's it. It's ridiculously simple. The goal is to eliminate all small pieces of paper. A secondary goal is to make it so easy to use that it actually gets used. A complex record structure with all types of computed fields might seem highly functional. But simplicity makes it highly useful.

Another requirement for the database is searching. In our database, any field can be searched for text. Having that capability is a time saver by forcing the CPU to look for things in the database instead of manually scrolling and looking. Search "Bennett Brothers" in Projects and up pops the quotes they gave us on two of our larger projects.
Search "River Dunes" in the Captain's Log and up pops a list of every time we visited, all personal notes, and what our trip was like to get there. It's pure value to us.

The Projects database is the simplest one. It's a good one to show how easy this whole thing is to put together. You don't need to buy an expensive yacht management system. Instead, create requirements and build the simplest record structure possible. Usability matters.

In the next continuation of this series, we'll explore a couple of the other databases. They all have more fields while still being simple.
By the end, we'll provide templates of all the databases for HanDBase if you haven't been tempted by Google's apps.

This series has generated a lot of interest so we'll pick up the pace and continue with it. After today's newsletter, there'll be one more segment and then we'll provide templates for all of the databases. We've been in contact with the HanDBase developers and they'll host the templates on their own website so boaters everywhere can use them as a starting point.

If this is the first time you're seeing this series, you might want to refer back to the index of newsletters to see the other segments. All newsletters are archived here:
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters

The most important database in the Keeping Track set is the Captain's Log table. This is the main log where all actions are recorded. Although there are about 10 different categories of items, most of the entries fall under two categories - destination travel and maintenance. Here are all the fields we use in our Captain's Log:

Date/Time - the date and time of the entry.

Category - a popup of categories. The categories we use are:
Maintenance, Repair, Equipment, Misc, Boat Movement, Water, and a category for each "cruise" we've done. Equipment is the log for every new piece of equipment added to the boat. Boat Movement is when we're moving the boat not associated with cruising. Water is when we're tracking water usage.

Desc - a title description for the entry. For the cruising categories, this is the city, state where we arrived.

Location - this is a more descriptive entry of exactly where we arrived.
It's an ActiveCaptain marina or anchorage name in 99% of the cruise entries. This item is also filled out for maintenance and other log entries. It's very valuable to know where particular projects were done.
Here at Chesapeake, VA, we're having our salon settee re-upholstered this week. We've record that as a maintenance item with a location of Atlantic Yacht Basin. This allows us to recall where we can get this type of work done in the future by looking back in the records.

Lat/Lon - the latitude/longitude. This is most often only recorded for destination entries.

HrsToday - this records the number of hours it took to arrive at a destination. Surprisingly, we often look back on this. It lets us know how long it has taken to go from one location to another over more than a decade of traveling along the waterways. It has been very valuable in fine tuning our planning.

Notes - this contains paragraphs of notes appropriate to the entry. It will contain the upholstering company we used in the example above, contact information, pricing, and our (hopefully positive) impressions.
For cruising log entries, it details any issues we faced, weather encountered, and other things we'd like to remember about the destination. We often put the names of people we met or experiences we had at the location. These notes also end up as reminders for us when we write a review about a marina or anchorage.

EngHours - the hour meter reading of the engine hours. This gives backup timing on many of the entries. For the engine oil change maintenance entries we made last weekend, it's an important record of the hours for that work. Whenever maintenance is done on our generator, this field is used for the generator engine hours (also done last weekend).

NMToday - a record of the nautical miles traveled for destination entries.

We've changed the fields collected for the Captain's Log many times over the years but there hasn't been a change in about 4 years. This list of fields works for us. It's probably a good starting point for others.

One more simple database to describe - the Fuel Log. This database logs every drop of fuel we have ever purchased for our boat. We always make entries when we fill all tanks. This allows the database to provide a running gallons-per-hour tracking which gives us a view into possible issues with the engines.

The fields in the Fuel Log are:

- Date/Time - when the fuel was purchased.

- Location - where the fuel was purchased.

- Gallons - how many gallons were purchased.

- PerGallon - the cost per gallon paid (the first entry was 5/8/03 for
$1.25 per gallon).

- Total Cost - a calculated field we use to check the math of the charge given to us.

- CurrentEngHrs - hour meter reading for the engines at the time of fuel purchase.

- PrevEngHrs - hour meter reading for the engines at the previous fuel purchase.

- CurrentGenHrs - hour meter reading for the generator at the time of fuel purchase.

- PrevGenHrs - hour meter reading for the generator at the previous fuel purchase.

GPH - a computed field that takes all the hours fields and the number of gallons and computes the gallons-per-hour for this last fuel usage.
It automatically removes the generator gallons used to give a better efficiency indication for just the main engines.

Notes - any notes we want to remember about the fuel purchase.

This has been a dry look at a few more of our databases used. Next time, we'll finish up with the Maintenance, Parts, Spares, and Engine Room Logs.

>>> Keeping Track of Everything - 4 >>>

This is the final part of the Keeping Track of Everything series. The other 3 sections can be found at:
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2015-04-22.php
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2015-05-06.php
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2015-05-27.php

We've also provided blank template database downloads for the 6 main databases written about in the series - see the end of the segment for download/installation instructions.

The last 3 databases we use for our own boat are:

Maintenance - reminders of all items that need to be done based on elapsed time (like every year) or based on engine hours.

Parts - a list of every part and product we use.

Spares - a list of spare items, where they're stored, and how many are left.

The Maintenance database is something that gets examined at the first of every month. It's just a procedure that we follow. We look ahead at all the different maintenance items that need to be completed in that next month and plan to complete them. Once a maintenance item is done, the time or engine hours is updated and an entry is put into the Captain's Log database to document what was done for historical reasons.
The Maintenance and Captain's Log database work together in that way.
Integrated yacht management systems would typically do this logging automatically. We've found it perfectly acceptable to edit 2 log entries in this manual way.

Our maintenance database has these fields:

Item - the name of the maintenance task. This would be something like, "Engine oil change," or "Grease windlass."

Next Date - the next due date for the task when the task is dependent on an elapsed time.

Date Inc - the increment of time once the task is completed. So if the windlass gets greased every 6 months, this field would be 6 months for that task.

Next Hours - the next engine hours setting for the task when the task depends on engine or generator hours.

Hours Inc - the increment of hours once the task is completed. So if the generator oil gets changed every 100 hours, this field would be 100 hours.

Notes - any notes, instructions, or special things to remember when performing the task.

The Parts database is where all model numbers, serial numbers, dealers, manufacturers, phone numbers, and special instructions are kept. So when we forget how to pair the remote for our autopilot, we know the 3 steps are listed under the autopilot part.

The parts database has these fields:

Part - the part name like, "Hot water heater," or "Autopilot."

Type - a popup list that categorizes the part. Our list is Dinghy, Electrical, Electronics, Engines & Accy, Mechanical, Plumbing/Heating/ Air, and Other.

Location - where the part is located.

S/N - the serial number for the part that is installed.

Notes - any notes, instructions, or special things to remember about this particular part. It's a good place to put phone numbers of suppliers or the names of people who can help with the part.

And finally, the spares database. This is where we store records for
filters, oil, impellers, along with other items that get consumed and
the location of hard-to-find items. The fields are:

Item - the spare item like, "Racor engine filter," or "Antifreeze
gallons."

Count - the number of spare items remaining.

Notes - any notes, instructions, or special things to remember about
this particular spare. This often lists the location of the spare items
to make finding them easier.

The only other database that we mentioned before was the Engine Room Log.
We used to record temperature and gauge readings on every engine room
check. After 7 years of doing that, we stopped recording the values
because we knew what each value should be. We probably could have stopped
after 2 years. It's probably a good idea to keep a recorded engine room
log until you are very familiar with all the running operations of your
engine room.

These databases are what we use. As time has gone on, they've gotten
simpler and simpler. We use to have more fields but the fewer the number
of fields, the easier it is to use. The advantage of using a general
database is that you can change the tables as you need.

We've packaged up the templates for every one of the databases we wrote
about and provided them to HanDBase. They were very interested in making
them available to everyone for free. If you would like the templates,
here are the download instructions for iOS and Android.

iOS:
1. Open HanDBase to the database selection screen.
2. Tap the + button.
3. Choose the Download Template option.
4. When the screen refreshes, enter "ActiveCaptain" in the search bar.
5. After a moment, select the first database from the list, opening it
in HanDBase.
6. Repeat for the other five databases in the archive.

Android:
1. Download:
Gallery
This will load HanDBase's online gallery and initiate the download of a
zip archive of the files.
2. Save the zip archive to the Android device.
3. Open the zip archive using a file manager.
4. Copy the six files from the archive to the HanDBase folder at the
root level of the Android's internal storage.

In addition, another developer was inspired by this series to create a
database app from FileMaker called eNavGo Logbook. You can find out
more information and make contact with him here:
http://www.danlab.ca/nav/index.html

Keeping track of everything onboard is all about safety. We hope this
series will help you to find the tracking methods that work best for you
and your boat. With so many systems, parts, and maintenance items
onboard, we can all use a little extra organization.
Old 13-05-2021, 18:30   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The link to the newsletters just goes to the Active Captain home page. I'm really interested, but before I pay $10, I'd like to see what I'm getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post
From Jeff Siegel, founder of Active Captain before Garmin fouled it up:

>>> Keeping Track of Everything >>>

One of the most common questions we've been asked over the years revolves around the ways we keep track of our ships logs, maintenance reminders, projects, and other boating lists. It shouldn't surprise anyone that we use technology to solve these needs. We've learned some valuable lessons and will split them into a few newsletter segments to help others keep track of, well, everything. First, an overview of the things we database.

From the first moment we stepped onto our current boat in 2003, we've used the same databases. This provides us with an incredible wealth of information including every maintenance project, service, problem, destination, and many more details. Every time we've moved the boat, a log entry was made. Every drop of fuel we've purchased in 12+ years has a similar record. Every new piece of equipment that came onboard and every service task performed was logged. Our databases include every part on the boat including serial numbers, part numbers, manufacturer, and additional information we've learned about each part.

Although we've changed software products about 4 times in the 12+ years, the data has always been able to be moved ahead to the next generation.
That is the most important lesson - make sure any database you use has the ability to export into some type of open spreadsheet or database format like CSV or Excel. Being able to then import that data into the next tool means the data can continue to live on. We're reminded of how important that is whenever we wonder how long it has been since we've been to a particular place, where we first met friends like Don & Cindy, or how to pair the Garmin autopilot remote (it's a note in the Garmin parts record).

Another important lesson we've learned is that the data has to reside on our phone. A normal spreadsheet on a laptop is adequate, but having the data with you, in your pocket, provides numerous benefits. First, adding and editing records is trivial. There's no writing down information on pieces of paper for data entry onto the laptop. Your phone is always around you. It's incredibly convenient to make frequent additions at the exact moment you think of it.

Another advantage of having the databases with you all the time is that the information is available wherever you are. When we were in Salem, MA a few years ago, there was a marine supply store going out of business and selling their huge inventory of zincs. We pulled the phone out and had all the part numbers we needed to take advantage of hundreds of dollars of savings. Whenever we're in a Walmart or Home Depot type of store, before we leave, we check the phone to see what items we need to complete current or upcoming boat projects.

So here are the 7 databases that are always with us:

- Projects: a list of the outstanding boat projects being worked on. It has a list of projects including items that need to be purchased alongside the tasks that need to be completed. Each item has a month providing a "deadline."

- Captain's Log: the major database containing every action that has been done on the boat. Boat movement, maintenance performed, new items added, and much more all have individual records.

- Fuel Log: a special database that lists every time fuel is purchased.
It uses the previous purchase to automatically provide a running gallons per hour display. This is a great way to check on any changes to engine efficiency. The first entry was made on May 8, 2003 when we purchased
515.17 gallons of diesel at Herrington Harbor North for $1.25/gallon.

- Maintenance: this database lists all the maintenance items that need to be done by elapsed time or by engine hours. It's the place to put reminders about common things like oil changes or uncommon things like rudder post check reminders. The items are sorted showing the things that need to be done next. Once an item is completed, its date/hours are incremented and an entry is made in the Captain's Log.

- Parts Database: a list of every part on the boat that we need to keep track of. Over the first couple of years, we spent many hours poking around the boat to record serial and part numbers. We also write notes about any part along with phone numbers and vendors who have the part.
When something new is purchased, it goes into the database before it is installed on the boat.

- Spares: a list of all major boat spares and where they are located.
We always go through every item in this database before taking off on longer trips to make sure we have all filters, pumps, hoses, and a hundred other items. When something is used, it is removed from the list. This database also has the location of each spare since these types of parts tend to be hidden away and hard to find just when you need them most.

- Engine Room Log: measurements taken at each engine room check. To be honest, we stopped logging these measurements after 8 years of doing them every hour while underway. We found it very valuable during those early years - it let us know when coolers needed to be cleaned and pointed to other minor problems before they became major ones. By now, we know every reading to within a degree and immediately know when additional attention is needed. Still, this was an incredibly valuable tool in figuring out what to measure along with giving real data to help us learn about our boat.

Those are the only 7 databases we use. For the last 7 years, we've been using HanDBase for iOS, Android, and Macintosh. The Mac version is used to back up the phone data. All real data entry and viewing is done on phones.

Future newsletters will look at the design of each database. The tools for creating and using these types of record storage are very simple.
When the series is complete, we'll provide blank databases for each of our personal ones as starting points for your own use.

A couple of weeks ago we wrote a newsletter segment about how we keep databases of projects, logs, parts, and fuel purchases. It generated a lot of emails and responses. So we thought we'd dig into the subject a little deeper and give the next set of ideas about the things we've learned by keeping these databases at our fingertips over the last
13 years.

We're using off-the-shelf database tools to create our solution. While there are many solutions that are laptop or web-based, they have severe limitations. Our databases are used almost every day because of one incredibly important feature - they are fully functional on our phones. Laptops and online solutions aren't good enough because there are too many advantages to having the information accessible and with us all the time.

For example, just recently we found ourselves in one of those "Dollar"
stores. The same thing happens in every store we visit - out pops the phone to open the project database. That database is a catch-all place listing the projects we're working on and a reminder list of the things we need. Opening it on this day reminded us that we wanted a couple of those large cellulose sponges for the engine room. There is no better place to buy them than a Dollar store. And there's no way we would have remembered we needed them. But having the entire list of projects in a pocket? Now the sponges are off the list.

Online usage is a problem too. We want full access to all the data when offshore, in remote locations, or in our engine room where cell phones rarely work. The solution has got to be mobile and that means it must run on iPhone and Android, somehow.

A lot of people had the idea to use Google Docs for the platform today.
Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms are a web-based word processor, spreadsheet, form processor, and slide creator. It's collaborative between users or locations. It's free. And there are free apps for Android and iOS from Google that synchronize the data and keep it offline on the mobile devices. We've used Google Sheets for online task lists with other developers and it has worked incredibly well.
If we were starting over with our databases, we'd likely try using Google Docs first. It's something you should be aware of for many different reasons. Check out more information on it here:
https://www.google.com/docs/about/

So let's dig deeper into a couple of the databases to show how simple this whole thing is. First, that Projects database currently has 20 projects listed. There are some simple things - we need 5 more hose nozzles because we have no more spares after having 2 go bad in the Bahamas. Then there are longer-term projects - we want a bow eye installed at the waterline to significantly reduce the rode we need when anchoring because of our 10 foot bow.

The project list usually grows to about 50 items in the fall when we typically start our "season" of cruising. The database is a simple list of records. Each record stores fields of data. We used to have about 8 fields for all types of special data collection. But that has filtered down over the years to records with only 3 fields now:

Item - the name of the project. This is used for sorting the list of all projects. Whenever the Project database is opened, the list by item name is displayed.

When - a popup list allowing selection of any month, season, "now", or "long term." This field designates when we'd like the project to be completed. With a couple of taps, the list is sorted by this field allowing us to make sure that all, let's say, Fall and October projects have been completed by the time we start heading south.

Notes - a free form text field where we type notes about the specific project. For things like sponges, there's not a lot of need for notes.
But for the bow eye project we've been thinking about for 4-5 years, it's a great place to store tidbits as we learn new things.

And that's it. It's ridiculously simple. The goal is to eliminate all small pieces of paper. A secondary goal is to make it so easy to use that it actually gets used. A complex record structure with all types of computed fields might seem highly functional. But simplicity makes it highly useful.

Another requirement for the database is searching. In our database, any field can be searched for text. Having that capability is a time saver by forcing the CPU to look for things in the database instead of manually scrolling and looking. Search "Bennett Brothers" in Projects and up pops the quotes they gave us on two of our larger projects.
Search "River Dunes" in the Captain's Log and up pops a list of every time we visited, all personal notes, and what our trip was like to get there. It's pure value to us.

The Projects database is the simplest one. It's a good one to show how easy this whole thing is to put together. You don't need to buy an expensive yacht management system. Instead, create requirements and build the simplest record structure possible. Usability matters.

In the next continuation of this series, we'll explore a couple of the other databases. They all have more fields while still being simple.
By the end, we'll provide templates of all the databases for HanDBase if you haven't been tempted by Google's apps.

This series has generated a lot of interest so we'll pick up the pace and continue with it. After today's newsletter, there'll be one more segment and then we'll provide templates for all of the databases. We've been in contact with the HanDBase developers and they'll host the templates on their own website so boaters everywhere can use them as a starting point.

If this is the first time you're seeing this series, you might want to refer back to the index of newsletters to see the other segments. All newsletters are archived here:
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters

The most important database in the Keeping Track set is the Captain's Log table. This is the main log where all actions are recorded. Although there are about 10 different categories of items, most of the entries fall under two categories - destination travel and maintenance. Here are all the fields we use in our Captain's Log:

Date/Time - the date and time of the entry.

Category - a popup of categories. The categories we use are:
Maintenance, Repair, Equipment, Misc, Boat Movement, Water, and a category for each "cruise" we've done. Equipment is the log for every new piece of equipment added to the boat. Boat Movement is when we're moving the boat not associated with cruising. Water is when we're tracking water usage.

Desc - a title description for the entry. For the cruising categories, this is the city, state where we arrived.

Location - this is a more descriptive entry of exactly where we arrived.
It's an ActiveCaptain marina or anchorage name in 99% of the cruise entries. This item is also filled out for maintenance and other log entries. It's very valuable to know where particular projects were done.
Here at Chesapeake, VA, we're having our salon settee re-upholstered this week. We've record that as a maintenance item with a location of Atlantic Yacht Basin. This allows us to recall where we can get this type of work done in the future by looking back in the records.

Lat/Lon - the latitude/longitude. This is most often only recorded for destination entries.

HrsToday - this records the number of hours it took to arrive at a destination. Surprisingly, we often look back on this. It lets us know how long it has taken to go from one location to another over more than a decade of traveling along the waterways. It has been very valuable in fine tuning our planning.

Notes - this contains paragraphs of notes appropriate to the entry. It will contain the upholstering company we used in the example above, contact information, pricing, and our (hopefully positive) impressions.
For cruising log entries, it details any issues we faced, weather encountered, and other things we'd like to remember about the destination. We often put the names of people we met or experiences we had at the location. These notes also end up as reminders for us when we write a review about a marina or anchorage.

EngHours - the hour meter reading of the engine hours. This gives backup timing on many of the entries. For the engine oil change maintenance entries we made last weekend, it's an important record of the hours for that work. Whenever maintenance is done on our generator, this field is used for the generator engine hours (also done last weekend).

NMToday - a record of the nautical miles traveled for destination entries.

We've changed the fields collected for the Captain's Log many times over the years but there hasn't been a change in about 4 years. This list of fields works for us. It's probably a good starting point for others.

One more simple database to describe - the Fuel Log. This database logs every drop of fuel we have ever purchased for our boat. We always make entries when we fill all tanks. This allows the database to provide a running gallons-per-hour tracking which gives us a view into possible issues with the engines.

The fields in the Fuel Log are:

- Date/Time - when the fuel was purchased.

- Location - where the fuel was purchased.

- Gallons - how many gallons were purchased.

- PerGallon - the cost per gallon paid (the first entry was 5/8/03 for
$1.25 per gallon).

- Total Cost - a calculated field we use to check the math of the charge given to us.

- CurrentEngHrs - hour meter reading for the engines at the time of fuel purchase.

- PrevEngHrs - hour meter reading for the engines at the previous fuel purchase.

- CurrentGenHrs - hour meter reading for the generator at the time of fuel purchase.

- PrevGenHrs - hour meter reading for the generator at the previous fuel purchase.

GPH - a computed field that takes all the hours fields and the number of gallons and computes the gallons-per-hour for this last fuel usage.
It automatically removes the generator gallons used to give a better efficiency indication for just the main engines.

Notes - any notes we want to remember about the fuel purchase.

This has been a dry look at a few more of our databases used. Next time, we'll finish up with the Maintenance, Parts, Spares, and Engine Room Logs.

>>> Keeping Track of Everything - 4 >>>

This is the final part of the Keeping Track of Everything series. The other 3 sections can be found at:
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2015-04-22.php
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2015-05-06.php
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2015-05-27.php

We've also provided blank template database downloads for the 6 main databases written about in the series - see the end of the segment for download/installation instructions.

The last 3 databases we use for our own boat are:

Maintenance - reminders of all items that need to be done based on elapsed time (like every year) or based on engine hours.

Parts - a list of every part and product we use.

Spares - a list of spare items, where they're stored, and how many are left.

The Maintenance database is something that gets examined at the first of every month. It's just a procedure that we follow. We look ahead at all the different maintenance items that need to be completed in that next month and plan to complete them. Once a maintenance item is done, the time or engine hours is updated and an entry is put into the Captain's Log database to document what was done for historical reasons.
The Maintenance and Captain's Log database work together in that way.
Integrated yacht management systems would typically do this logging automatically. We've found it perfectly acceptable to edit 2 log entries in this manual way.

Our maintenance database has these fields:

Item - the name of the maintenance task. This would be something like, "Engine oil change," or "Grease windlass."

Next Date - the next due date for the task when the task is dependent on an elapsed time.

Date Inc - the increment of time once the task is completed. So if the windlass gets greased every 6 months, this field would be 6 months for that task.

Next Hours - the next engine hours setting for the task when the task depends on engine or generator hours.

Hours Inc - the increment of hours once the task is completed. So if the generator oil gets changed every 100 hours, this field would be 100 hours.

Notes - any notes, instructions, or special things to remember when performing the task.

The Parts database is where all model numbers, serial numbers, dealers, manufacturers, phone numbers, and special instructions are kept. So when we forget how to pair the remote for our autopilot, we know the 3 steps are listed under the autopilot part.

The parts database has these fields:

Part - the part name like, "Hot water heater," or "Autopilot."

Type - a popup list that categorizes the part. Our list is Dinghy, Electrical, Electronics, Engines & Accy, Mechanical, Plumbing/Heating/ Air, and Other.

Location - where the part is located.

S/N - the serial number for the part that is installed.

Notes - any notes, instructions, or special things to remember about this particular part. It's a good place to put phone numbers of suppliers or the names of people who can help with the part.

And finally, the spares database. This is where we store records for
filters, oil, impellers, along with other items that get consumed and
the location of hard-to-find items. The fields are:

Item - the spare item like, "Racor engine filter," or "Antifreeze
gallons."

Count - the number of spare items remaining.

Notes - any notes, instructions, or special things to remember about
this particular spare. This often lists the location of the spare items
to make finding them easier.

The only other database that we mentioned before was the Engine Room Log.
We used to record temperature and gauge readings on every engine room
check. After 7 years of doing that, we stopped recording the values
because we knew what each value should be. We probably could have stopped
after 2 years. It's probably a good idea to keep a recorded engine room
log until you are very familiar with all the running operations of your
engine room.

These databases are what we use. As time has gone on, they've gotten
simpler and simpler. We use to have more fields but the fewer the number
of fields, the easier it is to use. The advantage of using a general
database is that you can change the tables as you need.

We've packaged up the templates for every one of the databases we wrote
about and provided them to HanDBase. They were very interested in making
them available to everyone for free. If you would like the templates,
here are the download instructions for iOS and Android.

iOS:
1. Open HanDBase to the database selection screen.
2. Tap the + button.
3. Choose the Download Template option.
4. When the screen refreshes, enter "ActiveCaptain" in the search bar.
5. After a moment, select the first database from the list, opening it
in HanDBase.
6. Repeat for the other five databases in the archive.

Android:
1. Download:
Gallery
This will load HanDBase's online gallery and initiate the download of a
zip archive of the files.
2. Save the zip archive to the Android device.
3. Open the zip archive using a file manager.
4. Copy the six files from the archive to the HanDBase folder at the
root level of the Android's internal storage.

In addition, another developer was inspired by this series to create a
database app from FileMaker called eNavGo Logbook. You can find out
more information and make contact with him here:
http://www.danlab.ca/nav/index.html

Keeping track of everything onboard is all about safety. We hope this
series will help you to find the tracking methods that work best for you
and your boat. With so many systems, parts, and maintenance items
onboard, we can all use a little extra organization.
Old 13-05-2021, 19:36   #15

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

I was in the process of editing the bad links and the forum decided all I could use was 30 min so when I clicked save it wouldn't let me, and all that editing was lost.

You can edit the quotes when you post, unless for some reason you intentionally wanted to quote that whole thing I posted.

Tags
boat