Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 15:26   #1

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Boat inventory app -

I've searched this topic, and find all sorts of advice. My wife keeps track of stuff in "notes" but it kind of sucks. No, please don't recommend Word or Excel. Been there done that. Here's what we are looking for:

An app that will track the location of crap in our boat. The app synchs between her phone and mine. It scans bar codes if the item has it. Quick and easy to use. The location and the item. Picture would be even better.

See, I joke with my wife about where she puts things. I use the 3 stooges when they are PIs. Shemp files the wig (it's evidence) under "D" for "Dandruff". I have what I think is the logical place, she has hers. And they sometimes don't jive.

TIA.
Old 20-04-2021, 17:55   #2

Re: Boat inventory app -

77 views and NO answers? Hmm.
Old 20-04-2021, 18:53   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Google docs for us
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 19:28   #4

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150 (Papeete), Beneteau First 35s5 (Vancouver)

I use Sortly, an iOS app. It scans bar and QR codes, pictures can be added of items along with their storage location (in case you forget what "stbd fwd rear locker" means). You can search by item name or location (i.e. what is in the stbd fwd rear locker?).

You can set both the number of like items (e.g. fuel filters) and the minimum required inventory. Not sure what happens if the number drops below the minimum.

I have two boats and it keeps track of what stuff is on which boat and its location - a task that my brain struggles with.

It is subscription based, works online and offline and user support is actually pretty good.

I started with the free version and used it until I hit the maximum number of items. It was working well enough that I bought a subscription, about 4 years ago. I have the "Plus" plan - unlimited entries, 8 custom fields and 1 user license for C$61.99. More than one user costs more.

A simpler and free inventory app is "AnyList". It can be shared, can accommodate photos but as far as I can tell does not scan codes. Items and their location can be added using Siri or Alexa. We use it mostly for managing food (shopping and inventory - but the latter not on the boat, we use Sortly for food, particularly when canned and other long life storage items are put into hard to access locations).

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions re these two apps that I have been less than clear about.
Old 22-04-2021, 14:28   #5

Looking at Sortly and MyStuff2Pro. Sortly is not cheap. MyStuff is about $9. Looks like it might work.
Old 22-04-2021, 15:22   #6

Maybe a better thing?

Quote:
PartKeepr
Open Source Inventory Management
How often have you ordered parts you already had in stock, but couldn't find them? How often did you forget to re-order parts because your stock went low and you didn't notice? How often have you thought: „I just ordered at my distributor, but forgot an important part?“

https://partkeepr.org/
Old 22-04-2021, 15:23   #7

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I have an app for shopping. You can enter the items you want. You can create as many shops as you want. It lists aisles etc. Sync between my wife and me. Add photos. Use an app like this creatively and you have what you are looking for. I have OurGroceries on iPhone.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 15:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
I have an app for shopping. You can enter the items you want. You can create as many shops as you want. It lists aisles etc. Sync between my wife and me. Add photos. Use an app like this creatively and you have what you are looking for. I have OurGroceries on iPhone.
Was thinking pantry organising apps myself, a few out there
Old 23-04-2021, 08:50   #9

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We use Pantry Check. It allows for multiple locations and categories, barcode scan or photo, sort by location or category, stale dates, etc. I started using the app instead of a spreadsheet after losing a box of cotter pins, ordering another set of cotter pins, and subsequently finding the lost cotter pins in the butt end of a locker. It's not perfect and multiple users have to share one login.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat