Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2021, 18:48   #1

Boat: 34' Aloha sloop, S/V Ishi (deceased)
Pur/Katadyn watermaker book

Hola amigos,

I was just cruising by the Cruiser's Forum and noticed that there were a number of folks no longer able to access my book on Pur/Katadyn watermakers. I apologize for the fact that some months ago I had to discontinue my website (ishipaco.com), where I had posted the book in PDF format. The site began getting over 5000 Russian spam emails every day and became impossible to maintain.

To CF Managers:I tried attaching a PDF file of my watermaker book to this email but was blocked due to too large file size. I would be happy for Cruiser's Forum to make it available to anyone who wants it.

Please note that the book was originally published in 1999. Also be advised that, since we quit cruising in 2009, I have not been in contact with Katadyn regarding changes in product design or use/maintenance. In particular, Katadyn is not to be considered responsible in any way for the creation of, or the material in, this book! It is purely my personal account of what did, or did not, work for me while cruising for 13 years. Of course, I assume no liability for errors or incorrect/out-of-date information. I can only assure you that the PDF is an exact copy of both the original hard copy of the book and the PDF copy I posted on the ishipaco.com website.

Finally: I also had posted on my website my detailed video on tearing down and assembling the PUR/Katadyn Model 40E watermaker, which many people have found very helpful. Since I no longer maintain a website, I would be pleased to have Cruisers Forum continue to make both my book and video available free of charge to forum participants. Since the book(~2.8MB) and video (~550MB) are too large for unapproved transfer, I will await further instructions from the forum manger(s) on if and how to proceed.

Cheers to all,
Gary Albers (Ishipaco)
S/V Ishi (deceased)

Long Beach CA (on dry land)
ishipaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 20:32   #2

Boat: Coast 34 Sail
Re: Pur/Katadyn watermaker book

Thank you Gary we have used your guide for our PUR for years. Sorry to hear about your website problems.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:39   #3

Hello Gary,
I have just purchased a boat, built 1997, with a Powersurvivor 160E. The last owner never used it and he owned the boat for 15 years.
It pumps water but it comes out of the reject water orifice in bulk even with the valve set to produce water.
I would greatly appreciate a copy of your book. Perhaps you could email directly to my email: omuramba.roger@gmail.com
Many thanks Roger
omuramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 18:33   #4

Boat: Nautical Development Offshore 40

You may have already received it from someone else, but check your email.

Cheers!
SV One Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 07:46   #5

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

Hey Gary,

I would love a copy of your book and repair information. I've been searching and searching to no avail. Any luck?

Edit: Disregard, found it at

https://web.archive.org/web/20190308...rmakerBook.PDF
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 14:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishipaco View Post
Hola amigos,

I was just cruising by the Cruiser's Forum and noticed that there were a number of folks no longer able to access my book on Pur/Katadyn watermakers. I apologize for the fact that some months ago I had to discontinue my website (ishipaco.com), where I had posted the book in PDF format. The site began getting over 5000 Russian spam emails every day and became impossible to maintain.

To CF Managers:I tried attaching a PDF file of my watermaker book to this email but was blocked due to too large file size. I would be happy for Cruiser's Forum to make it available to anyone who wants it.

Please note that the book was originally published in 1999. Also be advised that, since we quit cruising in 2009, I have not been in contact with Katadyn regarding changes in product design or use/maintenance. In particular, Katadyn is not to be considered responsible in any way for the creation of, or the material in, this book! It is purely my personal account of what did, or did not, work for me while cruising for 13 years. I even ordered an essay on it at https://essays.edubirdie.com/buy-essay because I wondered how they would write it. Of course, I assume no liability for errors or incorrect/out-of-date information. I can only assure you that the PDF is an exact copy of both the original hard copy of the book and the PDF copy I posted on the ishipaco.com website.

Finally: I also had posted on my website my detailed video on tearing down and assembling the PUR/Katadyn Model 40E watermaker, which many people have found very helpful. Since I no longer maintain a website, I would be pleased to have Cruisers Forum continue to make both my book and video available free of charge to forum participants. Since the book(~2.8MB) and video (~550MB) are too large for unapproved transfer, I will await further instructions from the forum manger(s) on if and how to proceed.

Cheers to all,
Gary Albers (Ishipaco)
S/V Ishi (deceased)

Thank you so much for sharing the book, because I was looking for something similar.
Siould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 18:15   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishipaco View Post
Hola amigos,

Please note that the book was originally published in 1999. Also be advised that, since we quit cruising in 2009, I have not been in contact with Katadyn regarding changes in product design or use/maintenance. In particular, Katadyn is not to be considered responsible in any way for the creation of, or the material in, this book! It is purely my personal account of what did, or did not, work for me while cruising for 13 years. Of course, I assume no liability for errors or incorrect/out-of-date information. I can only assure you that the PDF is an exact copy of both the original hard copy of the book and the PDF copy I posted on the ishipaco.com website.

Cheers to all,
Gary Albers (Ishipaco)
S/V Ishi (deceased)

Gary I would like to thank you for your unending support for us budget cruisers . I have used your book on 3 of my boats all with a powersurvivor35 on board. Your book has been invaluable over the last 20 years . That I have been using the powersurvivor35 units.
Old 27-12-2022, 11:10   #8

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Quote:
had posted on my website my detailed video on tearing down and assembling the PUR/Katadyn Model 40E watermaker

Any place to find this video now?
thanks
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2022, 12:03   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Any place to find this video now?
thanks