Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2013, 03:01   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Wireless Audio Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
I don't own this, but it's on my list of items of interest
review:
This doesn't look so Eco to me since you have to constantly feed it batteries to make it go.

Maybe OK for an occasional day out but doesn't seem very practical for someone that lives on board a cruiser and might listen to music on a regular basis.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 03:18   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Not wireless but a great solution to power speakers from MP3 players is one of these class T amps.
They will run directly from 12v ( although some need precautions with charging voltages) very efficiently (0.2A) and with near audiophile sound quality.

They are about as big as couple of packs of cards and cost $35-$75.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	63298  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 08:33   #18
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
This doesn't look so Eco to me since you have to constantly feed it batteries to make it go.

Maybe OK for an occasional day out but doesn't seem very practical for someone that lives on board a cruiser and might listen to music on a regular basis.
You don't "feed it batteries", you get 10 hours from a 2 hour charge. This is up there with the best you're going to get with wireless speakers, and an appropriate answer for someone looking for something wireless, not wired
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 08:37   #19
o_q

Quote:
Well please enlighten me. How would you power a wireless speaker on a boat?

Internal batteries? Don't want to keep replacing batteries.

Rechargeable? Either have to run a wire to the speaker for charging or carry the speaker back and forth to a charger.

12V DC from the main battery? Still have to run a wire to the speaker for power.

125V AC? Have to have an inverter or generator and still have to run a wire to the speaker.

Maybe you know about a speaker that draws energy from the ether and needs no source of power?
All you are saying is that you don't like wireless speaker technology, which I really don't give a crap about. I'm not going to try to convince you to like something you don't, but I will point out how the OP might not appreciate your answer.
Old 29-06-2013, 09:04   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
All you are saying is that you don't like wireless speaker technology, which I really don't give a crap about. I'm not going to try to convince you to like something you don't, but I will point out how the OP might not appreciate your answer.
I have nothing at all against wireless technology, in general or specifically for connecting speakers. Also have a degree in EE and used to own a recording studio so possibly I'm not as behind the times as you suggest.

In regard to the OP, I think he would like to know any requirements or shortcomings with wireless technology before investing in new speakers. Perhaps he doesn't want to deal with replacing batteries every day or so. Maybe he doesn't realize that he might be giving up an audio cable for a power wire. Maybe the OP can make up his own mind about what he appreciates or not.
Old 29-06-2013, 09:31   #21

small solar cell on each speaker/amp would probably work!
I think today though, maybe you just need an Ipod stereo base... sound better than most marine speakers and just carry it to where you are going to be... foredeck, cockpit, settee etc. You dont have to tear the boat apart to wire speakers everywhere and you can isolate the music to the person that wants it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 09:50   #22
o_q

Quote:
Perhaps he doesn't want to deal with replacing batteries every day or so.
When you say stuff like this, it suggests you are a bit behind. No one tolerates batteries (non lithium ion/rechargeable) anymore. It's almost as ridiculous as putting triple A batteries in our cell phones. We are in a mobile era, and we expect long battery life.

I suspect our technology in battery life is moving faster than you are paying attention since you've long ago discounted its feasibility. You may also not be used to charging things. Everyone with a smartphone is used to the idea of charging their gadgets on a daily basis. Ten hours is a reasonable amount of time in a day.
Old 29-06-2013, 09:54   #23
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
small solar cell on each speaker/amp would probably work!
I think today though, maybe you just need an Ipod stereo base... sound better than most marine speakers and just carry it to where you are going to be... foredeck, cockpit, settee etc. You dont have to tear the boat apart to wire speakers everywhere and you can isolate the music to the person that wants it!
Is there a difference between marine and car stereo speakers?
I assume they have better quality wiring for a salt water environment, but poor quality audio due to the niche nature of the sailing market.
Old 29-06-2013, 09:57   #24

some of the marine speakers have plastic cones that dont absorb moisture. The frames etc I've seen are just steel or coated. I've never heard one that sounded any good. Probably due to the plastic cones and environmental reasons... moisture getting in the voice coils etc. an Ipod dock is simpler and better sounding now days. My 47 footer had 3 pair of Bose mini speakers, switches and volume controls to route the sound diff parts of the boat. what a mess! I would never do that now days.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 10:01   #25
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My 47 footer had 3 pair of Bose mini speakers, switches and volume controls to route the sound diff parts of the boat. what a mess! I would never do that now days.
Yeah, having wires and devices that aren't all-in-one and self-contained would seem like a problem on a boat.
Old 29-06-2013, 19:02   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
When you say stuff like this, it suggests you are a bit behind. No one tolerates batteries (non lithium ion/rechargeable) anymore. It's almost as ridiculous as putting triple A batteries in our cell phones. We are in a mobile era, and we expect long battery life.

I suspect our technology in battery life is moving faster than you are paying attention since you've long ago discounted its feasibility. You may also not be used to charging things. Everyone with a smartphone is used to the idea of charging their gadgets on a daily basis. Ten hours is a reasonable amount of time in a day.
OK, I'll try one more time and try to keep it really simple so maybe you'll get it.

1. I am discounting nothing and you are making quite a few accusations and assumptions about someone you know not at all.

2. Unless you are an electrical engineer with a background in chemistry I doubt seriously if you know a fraction of what I know about batteries and audio technology and I do pay attention and keep up with new technology, maybe not on the basic technical level but at the very minimum what's out there and how it works.

3. I have no doubt that you might get 10 hours on a pair of small, low volume speakers but my preference in sound is higher fidelity, decent bass and reasonable volume. It would take a pretty good sized battery to produce the sound I want longer than half hour or so. I don't feel like doing the math right now but since you're so expert maybe you can do the calculations for us.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25   #27
o_q

Quote:
3. I have no doubt that you might get 10 hours on a pair of small, low volume speakers but my preference in sound is higher fidelity, decent bass and reasonable volume. It would take a pretty good sized battery to produce the sound I want longer than half hour or so. I don't feel like doing the math right now but since you're so expert maybe you can do the calculations for us.
Oh. I suspected we were talking about YOU, and not the OP. Thanks for making that clear.

Maybe you should make a thread called "What skipmac wants", and if anyone else dares to ask about an item they're looking for, we'll set them straight by linking them to your thread. Then you can tell them what they really wanted.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:30   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh. I suspected we were talking about YOU, and not the OP. Thanks for making that clear.

Maybe you should make a thread called "What skipmac wants", and if anyone else dares to ask about an item they're looking for, we'll set them straight by linking them to your thread. Then you can tell them what they really wanted.
So now you know all about the OPs requirements.

Your first post to me showed a lack of manners and knowledge about audio. Every post since shows the same.

I see no reason to waste any more time on you or your opinions so I'm out of this thread.
Old 01-07-2013, 15:10   #29

Quote:
I get ~5 on my supertooth disco. It's decent and can easily be heard throughout the boat. Battery life depends a lot on volume and Bluetooth proximity.

But yeah the guy lecturing you is out of line.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 15:33   #30

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Great on engines but I'm a complete numpty on electronics. What I'm looking for is a wireless headset to connect to the ships VHF with freedom of movement, I'm not in the first flush of youth and my old Uniden VHF with handset gave up the ghost. Because of the boat's engine/poor hearing I need a headset, any idea's you switched on guys ? By the way keep it simple I don't want, or need, complicated systems, just something simple and reliable that I can use the VHF and speak/be heard in bad weather conditions.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote