Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2021, 10:07   #1

Boat: Hunter 38
When to/not to display state registration #s etc

I have a coast guard documented vessel.

I registered it in Georgia, provided them the CG #, Bills of sale etc.

Do I need to display:

1) The state registration sticker (I think its good for 4 years)
2) The state registration number
3) The additional state marine toilet sticker

The reason I ask is I see very few yachts with state registration numbers on them at all. I'm wandering around the marina here and most of the ones displaying the state numbers are smaller power boats like pontoons and runabouts.

I'm a bit confused by the regs.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:46   #2

Boat: B24
Re: When to/not to display state registration #s etc

So long as your USCG documentation is still up to date, I doubt the the Coast Guard cares, but I may be wrong... I'd ask the State folks...

We bought a boat that had been converted (actually the former owner started the process, but something must have happened) from USCG documentation (allowed to lapse) and then started to register in a state... neither was completed, and straightening it out was a aggravating so, I'd simply ask, but make sure the state folks know your vessel has a current Documentation, so they ar answering the right question...

I've had several boats that were documented, and also had a state "tax" sticker but I don't recall ever plastering those state registration numbers on a documented vessel (which may mean I've been lucky...)
Old 02-07-2021, 10:56   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

By federal law, documented vessels may NOT display state numbers. But the states can and will require you to show their tax and any other stickers they issue. Some states do issue numbers for documented boats, but you don't display them. Just keep the registration certificate that came with them with your Document. Here in Michigan we have to state register and are issued numbers but they're not displayed. The tax sticker is. If boarded by the USCG, they only care about the Document. If boarded by the locals, they only care about the state cert and sticker. Locals need probable cause to stop a boat just like street cops do for cars. Not having numbers displayed could be seen as PC, but the state sticker says you're registered negating the PC.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:04   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

Documented vessels that display their name and home port generally aren't required to display state or local registration stickers, but there may be exceptions because the requirement is part of state law.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Documented vessels that display their name and home port generally aren't required to display state or local registration stickers, but there may be exceptions because the requirement is part of state law.
Actually, what has been written so far is wrong, but it’s the internet so you get what you paid for…

The USCG regulations FORBID the display of state registration numbers on documented vessels. Period. Full stop. No exceptions. Since federal rules trump states, that should tell you what you want to know. If your local DMV tells you otherwise, they are WRONG.

The USCG does not care about stickers, display those as your individual state law requires.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:02   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

BillKny and JGW have it right.

Law forbids posting state registration numbers on a documented boat. Any local water police that say otherwise I believe this is written on the USCG web site.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:23   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Actually, what has been written so far is wrong, but it’s the internet so you get what you paid for…

The USCG regulations FORBID the display of state registration numbers on documented vessels. Period. Full stop. No exceptions.

I reread my post three times and still can't find the part where I said anything about displaying state registration numbers. The internet indeed...
Old 02-07-2021, 12:43   #8

Boat: Ericson 38

#2 of question ask about state numbers?
ralph hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 13:39   #9
Marine Service Provider

If you have a USCG Documented Vessel and then you registered it with the State of George you have just invalidated your USCG Documentation. Do not display state registrations number on a USCG documented vessel. You can't do both.

If you have a loan on your boat secured by a Preferred Ship Mortgage on file with the USCG you may have invalidated that lien as well and be in technical default with the lender. You will most likely not be to borrow money on this vessel since most boat lenders are usually sophisticated enough to require a Preferred Ship Mortgage as their security.

Furthermore, the USCG will have no record of your state registration so they will continue to sent you the notice of renewal of documentation and you will probably keep on paying the fee.

If the State of Georgia has a personal property tax that applies to boat and/or sales taxes are due on the boat, you must notify the State tax authorities that this is a documented vessel which cannot be state registered and they will provide you with a decal to affix to the boat with notifies state inspectors who cruise the marinas, anchorages and privately moored boats that you are on record as a tax payer.

If something untoward occurs you may have additional legal exposure depending on the nature of the issue. Getting in trouble in foreign waters or foreign ports being just one of them.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 14:05   #10

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' (2 of them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
If you have a USCG Documented Vessel and then you registered it with the State of George you have just invalidated your USCG Documentation. Do not display state registrations number on a USCG documented vessel. You can't do both.
There's a difference between titling (which is what the USCG documentation is) and registration. You cannot get a state TITLE for a boat that's documented without invalidating the documentation, but many states (Maryland and Florida are 2 that are notorious about it) require that you be registered if you spend more than xxx days in the state.

You're correct that you're not allowed to display state registration numbers on a documented boat, but that doesn't mean the boat isn't also registered.
BCCLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 14:14   #11

Boat: Rawson 30PH

A documented vessel does not display state registration numbers. However, you have to display the “tax stamp” that shows the state you gave them their pound of flesh.

Coast guard does not care and does not collect tax/ enforce the state dept of revenues grasp … but local cops do, as well as the state tax department.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 14:21   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCLover View Post
There's a difference between titling (which is what the USCG documentation is) and registration. You cannot get a state TITLE for a boat that's documented without invalidating the documentation, but many states (Maryland and Florida are 2 that are notorious about it) require that you be registered if you spend more than xxx days in the state.

You're correct that you're not allowed to display state registration numbers on a documented boat, but that doesn't mean the boat isn't also registered.
^^ This. Tax sticker, bu no numbers..
Old 02-07-2021, 15:15   #13

Boat: B24

Quote:
If you have a USCG Documented Vessel and then you registered it with the State of George you have just invalidated your USCG Documentation. Do not display state registrations number on a USCG documented vessel. You can't do both...

That's what happended with ours (previous owner tried half `n half I guess, never was sure...), and it took nearly a year to straighten it out (as well as a few $$$)
Old 02-07-2021, 15:52   #14

Quote:

If you have a loan on your boat secured by a Preferred Ship Mortgage on file with the USCG you may have invalidated that lien ...

If the State of Georgia has a personal property tax that applies to boat and/or sales taxes are due on the boat, you must notify the State tax authorities that this is a documented vessel which cannot be state registered and they will provide you with a decal to affix to the boat with notifies state inspectors who cruise the marinas, anchorages and privately moored boats that you are on record as a tax payer....
I did what the web site told me to do, perhaps I need to undo it. But if the USCG doesn't know anything about state registration, then idk how it would have invalidated it. There's even a spot on the GA form for USCG documentation number. I'll call them again but last time I just got banjo music.

I don't borrow money for toys

As far as taxes, we'll see. GA has an occasional sale exemption, which has worked for me on planes and collector cars before. Fingers x'd but as I bought through a broker, albeit out of state, I expect to get a bill. I planned for that, but if I get an exemption its lagniappe.
Old 02-07-2021, 15:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCLover View Post

Ah! I think this is where the confusion lies.

The boat is registered in GA, not titled.

At the same time I registered a brand new dingy (not USCG documented) and had to physically send in the manufacturers original MSO because they need to take it out of circulation. I didn't have to do anything like that with the main boat, just scan and email.

GA is a title state. I just looked them up on the DNR site, USCG documentation number is clearly on my REGISTRATION details.

Tags
registration