Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2024, 07:54   #1

When do you (generally) need to check-in with immigration etc

Hi guys,

I'm doing up a rough passage plan and just wondering what the general rules are for when you are required to check in with a country's immigration, customs etc. I can find plenty of info on the check in process but not so much for what point are you deemed to have entered the country and required to do this? Is it when you anchor, make landfall, enter territorial waters, sail within a certain distance of the coast?

As an example, I'm doing a rough plan up from Sint Maarten and heading past Virgins Islands, Puerto Rico, DR, Haiti, Jamaica, Providencia (Colombia) and finally Panama. We're not planning on stopping at all of these places (unless required or for bad weather etc). So would I be able to just sail right on by the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico and make port in DR for example? If so, would I need to stay a certain distance offshore? Or will I be required to make port and check in simply by entering their waters?

Cheers guys!
mnschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 08:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When do you (generally) need to check-in with immigration etc

I think one has right of transit as long as no part of the vessel comes in contact with the land or claimed territory.. if one anchors one needs to clear in and out.
I have sailed along many countries coasts within the limits and never cleared in without consequence.
You may be hailed by a CG patrol boat as to your intentions and details such as destination, number on board, nationality etc but that's it in the main.
Off some coasts you may be told to follow them into port for a search by customs for drugs or weapons.
The only country I have encountered this was N France.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 09:29   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: When do you (generally) need to check-in with immigration etc

International laws recognizes the right of "Comity" or Right of Innocent Passage. This means you can sail through a countries national waters without being subject to checking in etc as long as you do not stop, make harbor, anchor etc.

As Boatman said - you may be hailed as to your intentions.

If you are not a US citizen or permanent resident then you must check in as soon as you anchor or tie up in a harbor. You need to use the ROAM app and you must have a B1/B2 visa.

Other countries may be more relaxed, but generally you should check in as soon as you enter the marina or drop your hook. Some countries are fairly relaxed and some get quite uptight if you wait a day or so.

Best practice - get it over with go check in as soon as you arrive

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 09:36   #4

Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up guys!
mnschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 09:42   #5

I remember seeing posts on this forum during 2020 that suggested the BVIs were not honoring innocent passage. I have no idea if that was only during Covid lockdown or if the whole thing was exaggerated. Just wanted to mention it.

Perhaps someone with actual experience in that area will clarify.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 09:44   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You usually can't just show up at any anchorage or marina. Each country has a limited number of check in ports.

For more information on each country's formalities, see noonsite. It used to be free, but $3/mo is probably worth it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 09:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnschwarz View Post
Hi guys,

I'm doing up a rough passage plan and just wondering what the general rules are for when you are required to check in with a country's immigration, customs etc. I can find plenty of info on the check in process but not so much for what point are you deemed to have entered the country and required to do this? Is it when you anchor, make landfall, enter territorial waters, sail within a certain distance of the coast?

As an example, I'm doing a rough plan up from Sint Maarten and heading past Virgins Islands, Puerto Rico, DR, Haiti, Jamaica, Providencia (Colombia) and finally Panama. We're not planning on stopping at all of these places (unless required or for bad weather etc). So would I be able to just sail right on by the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico and make port in DR for example? If so, would I need to stay a certain distance offshore? Or will I be required to make port and check in simply by entering their waters?

Cheers guys!
If you are not stopping, then you can skip checking in. Every day thousands of ships sail through the territorial waters of any number of countries, and just keep going. Do remember that it is on you to be aware of any restricted areas to be avoided.

Once you get to a country you will be staying in, you must make your first contact at an official port of entry.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 09:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
I remember seeing posts on this forum during 2020 that suggested the BVIs were not honoring innocent passage. I have no idea if that was only during Covid lockdown or if the whole thing was exaggerated. Just wanted to mention it.

Perhaps someone with actual experience in that area will clarify.
They had a defined restricted zone where they required boats transiting to be checked in. The reason is so many boats coming from the USVI were blowing off checking in. This has been an ongoing problem with idiots who think rules don’t apply to them.

Outside of the defined areas, transit was still allowed.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 10:12   #9
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

The islands I've just been coming through stated you must check in within 24 hours of entering the country. I have done it as soon as possible after arrival. Most state the captain must go alone to check everyone in. some places are more strict on this than others. But do bear in mind nobody is supposed to step on land until check in has taken place.

Transiting past islands I've not had an issue. But Boatman is spot on - you can get questioned. That happened to me once - also in France. I don't know about the BVI's... yet....

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 10:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnschwarz View Post
I'm doing a rough plan up from Sint Maarten and heading past Virgins Islands, Puerto Rico, DR, Haiti, Jamaica, Providencia (Colombia) and finally Panama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

If you are not a US citizen or permanent resident then you must check in as soon as you anchor or tie up in a harbor. You need to use the ROAM app and you must have a B1/B2 visa.
B1/B2 Visas are issued by the US State Dept. for fireign travel TO the United States. That is not really the scope of the question. About the only place that might be useful is Puerto Rico.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 10:18   #11

Here is a decent extract of the international interpretation of Right of Innocent Passage. To my reading. A case can be made either way - cannot anchor without checking in even if you are doing so expediently without going ashore: or the inverse - international rules permit briefly anchoring as long as intentions are benign.

https://www.journalofterritorialandm...ransit-passage

Whether the official who visits you in the anchorage is familiar with international law is key. Being conversant in the local language would also be helpful. My understanding is that many countries kicked everyone out regardless of Innocent Passage claims.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 12:40   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It really depends on where you're going to visit, and what their rules are. For instance, Australia requires you to notify Customs well in advance before you arrive, and which port of entry you have selected. You sail in with your "Q" flag displayed at the starboard spreader, and don't take it down till Quarantine is finished with you. Then you fly the nation's courtesy flag.

If you're not stopping in a country, give them a wide berth, they don't mind your sailing by. But if you stop, as Boatie said, you are required to check in and out. Sometimes they'll let you do this: check in and out for the same day, and you can go take on water, fuel, and provisions, if you're in a hurry to go elsewhere.

Ann