Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2024, 07:54   #1

When do you (generally) need to check-in with immigration etc

Hi guys,

I'm doing up a rough passage plan and just wondering what the general rules are for when you are required to check in with a country's immigration, customs etc. I can find plenty of info on the check in process but not so much for what point are you deemed to have entered the country and required to do this? Is it when you anchor, make landfall, enter territorial waters, sail within a certain distance of the coast?

As an example, I'm doing a rough plan up from Sint Maarten and heading past Virgins Islands, Puerto Rico, DR, Haiti, Jamaica, Providencia (Colombia) and finally Panama. We're not planning on stopping at all of these places (unless required or for bad weather etc). So would I be able to just sail right on by the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico and make port in DR for example? If so, would I need to stay a certain distance offshore? Or will I be required to make port and check in simply by entering their waters?

Cheers guys!
mnschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote