Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2023, 06:59   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Re: Getting clearance to leave the US with a US vessel

I never left a country without a completed ship manifest and crew list. Your vessel can be seized for illegal movement if you do not travel with the correct paperwork.

I also carried with me many many copies of my passport, crew passports, including the front page and page with stamped exits. Further, I had nice color copies of my US Coast guard certificate.

https://usacustomsclearance.com/proc...ping-manifest/

In some countries I just needed to present a stack of passports and I left the crew aboard. In Malaysia, I had to bring the entire crew when checking. This meant they all had to get off the vessel and I had to leave it unmanned. I was very reluctant to do that. Singapore used to board my vessel at Sister's Island and handle the immigration stamps on the spot. Singapore now requires you to hire an agent to do your check in and I am unsure of the procedure.

Consult the website noonsite for the most update information for each country. Also be sure to contribute to that website your experiences entering/leaving a country so you can help the next cruising sailor with the latest information.

For example: I provided tips to other sailors how to combat crooked immigration officials who demanded a fee that they pocketed.

I seem to recall a sailing vessel was seized in Chuuk for having the wrong paperwork and the owner was forced off the vessel. By the time he was able to get back aboard the locals had stripped it bare. I stopped in Chuuk once...once was enough and the second time I sailed right past it.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 07:18   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindbadly View Post
Can someone clarify the process and requirements for leaving US waters with a US documented vessel?...
Normally leaving any country Customs and Immigration need to provide clearance before leaving to show that you haven't left owing money or committed any offences and are a reputable vessel to be allowed into the country that one next arrives at.
The United States does not require exit notification in order to leave.
The problem is with the destination country. Most countries won't allow you to clear in without your zarpe / exit clearance from the previous port.

If you sail from the United States to Dutch Sint Maarten (I've done that a couple of times), you will need to head into the local customs office before leaving and getting an exit clearance form signed and stamped. The form that you will get is a OMB-1300 which has all sorts of columns meant for commercial shipping that you don't need to fill in.

I've used the Norfolk, VA office each time and they know the drill, I'm in and out of there within 10 minutes when there's nobody else in line.

Some countries will let you in without an exit clearance from the previous port when you come from the USA. The BVI is an example, but that is because they are next to the USVI and I've always arrived there with a completed USA exit form. The French islands are rather lax in checking your exit paperwork, so even though they nominally require clearance, they don't check for it. So the previous example, if you go to the French side of St. Martin then you wouldn't have to present your exit papers.
Old 19-05-2023, 07:52   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 49

No requirement to checkout of the US, with the decal you can check in with your phone, after crossing the imaginary border line, you’ll get a text that you are checked in/or you need to go to customs.
Bluechart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 07:59   #19

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindbadly View Post
Can someone clarify the process and requirements for leaving US waters with a US documented vessel? I am an American citizen and called CBP in Bangor, Maine yesterday to inquire. It was as though I was at the door with a rifle. An officious young woman all but told me to go away and not bother her. Very rude and important but we know how many in the world of US authorities can be.

Normally leaving any country Customs and Immigration need to provide clearance before leaving to show that you haven't left owing money or committed any offences and are a reputable vessel to be allowed into the country that one next arrives at.

Traditionally,Bangor,Me. know(or care?) very little about marine customs proceedures,even though they are district HQ.

I recommend that you call Eastport or Lubec first.
https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/eastport-maine-0103

Cheers/Len(from just across the border)
Old 19-05-2023, 08:00   #20

Boat: Hylas 49

Bermuda does not ask for exit papers from the US.
Get the decal and the CBP Roam app. When you check back in you input the passport info for the crew. They will do a video call to match faces to passports.

If you have a foreign national onboard it is best to check out or they might get in trouble.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 08:27   #21

Boat: Cal-40

If your vessel is USA flagged and all passengers/crew are USA citizens then you don’t need to clear out you can just leave. Upon arrival of your first foreign port because your passports and documentation is USA and this was your last port you don’t need clearing out papers because they understand you have none.
Of course you need to clear out of that foreign port and get exit papers and your passports stamped out then when your return to the USA you clear in and show them your clearance out papers for your last port.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 08:34   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 49

With the CBP app. you can check in while underway.
Bluechart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 11:59   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
If your vessel is USA flagged and all passengers/crew are USA citizens then you don’t need to clear out you can just leave. Upon arrival of your first foreign port because your passports and documentation is USA and this was your last port you don’t need clearing out papers because they understand you have none.
Of course you need to clear out of that foreign port and get exit papers and your passports stamped out then when your return to the USA you clear in and show them your clearance out papers for your last port.
Yes, that would be nice if it were always true. But don't try this entering a Mexican port with no zarpe.
Old 19-05-2023, 13:37   #24

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Yes, that would be nice if it were always true. But don't try this entering a Mexican port with no zarpe.
Entering Mexico in Ensenada (2013), they were not interested in a zarpe from USA. (We had the paperwork but they didn't ask for it.)
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 14:00   #25

If you sail to the Caribbean from the USA without a zarpe, you won't be let into

Dominican Republic
Anguilla
Sint Maarten
Antigua & Barbuda
St. Kitts and Nevis
Statia
Saba
Montserrat
Dominica
St. Lucia

Those are from personal experience in the past couple of years.

So far we have a 10 year old experience from Mexico, that says it isn't necessary, and a more recent voice that says it is necessary.

I'd just get my clearance before leaving, even if you won't need it. Just to give you an idea that I've done this before, here's a picture of my clearances from the past 10 years (the older ones are archived elsewhere).
Old 19-05-2023, 14:11   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

As US citizens, we do not need permission to go/travel. That said, many countries do not know, or believe this. Our Salty Dawg organization had to grease the skids in Antigua for our fall rally. No problem entering English Harbor but a few tried to clear in at Jolly Harbor. Those immigration guys were not given the word. You can get a zarpa from the CG or other US agents but it is sometimes difficult. If you clear into any of the French West Indies islands, generally there is no problem.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 14:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
As US citizens, we do not need permission to go/travel. That said, many countries do not know, or believe this. Our Salty Dawg organization had to grease the skids in Antigua for our fall rally. No problem entering English Harbor but a few tried to clear in at Jolly Harbor. Those immigration guys were not given the word. You can get a zarpa from the CG or other US agents but it is sometimes difficult. If you clear into any of the French West Indies islands, generally there is no problem.

OH,Really! / Len
Old 19-05-2023, 14:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
As US citizens, we do not need permission to go/travel. That said, many countries do not know, or believe this.
That's one of the most America-centric posts I've read here in quite a while! You seem to assume that other countries need to abide by America's rules.

Every country is sovereign, and even the small Caribbean nations such as Antigua & Barbuda are free to make their travel rules. If they say a Zarpe is required for entry, then it is; and if Americans can freely leave the USA that has absolutely no bearing on the matter.

An explicit exception for one rally does not constitute a change in policy for Antigua. Those officers, both in Jolly and English, can be talked with. I left Antigua at English Habbour yesterday and negotiated permission to return soon to volunteer at a regatta; despite my passport having less than 6 months to run. But that doesn't mean that someone else might have gotten denied entry for the same reason today.
Old 19-05-2023, 14:36   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Entering Mexico in Ensenada (2013), they were not interested in a zarpe from USA. (We had the paperwork but they didn't ask for it.)
Nice. They are or were sticklers in Cancun.
Old 19-05-2023, 15:25   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
That's one of the most America-centric posts I've read here in quite a while! You seem to assume that other countries need to abide by America's rules.

Every country is sovereign, and even the small Caribbean nations such as Antigua & Barbuda are free to make their travel rules. If they say a Zarpe is required for entry, then it is; and if Americans can freely leave the USA that has absolutely no bearing on the matter.

An explicit exception for one rally does not constitute a change in policy for Antigua. Those officers, both in Jolly and English, can be talked with. I left Antigua at English Habbour yesterday and negotiated permission to return soon to volunteer at a regatta; despite my passport having less than 6 months to run. But that doesn't mean that someone else might have gotten denied entry for the same reason today.

Oh! Really!!! / Len