Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2024, 02:11   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Croatian Marina Fire

A fire, at a marina in Medulin, on the Istrian peninsula, in northwestern Croatia [Adriatic Sea], has destroyed 22 boats, and caused huge damage, but no injuries.
Photos showed boats, in the marina, burning in a raging blaze. Local media said some owners jumped into the sea, to escape, as firefighters rushed to separate the boats still untouched by the fire.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 02:44   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Croatian Marina Fire

Oh, gosh, my sympathies to all involved!

Good luck, bretheren,

Ann
Old 16-05-2024, 03:26   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Seeing this just adds to my desire to get out of this marina.

A whole stack of new live-aboards. Already I’m seeing boats closed up with the heaters running full bore. Only a matter of time before one of them goes up.

Luckily we are on board full time. The key is in the ignition and we can get out fast if needed.
Old 16-05-2024, 15:25   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@GILow,

Does your marina have a fire plan? One we spent a lot of time at in the Brisbane area did, and made sense, too. It was posted two places, in the marina office, where one paid one's bill, and also on the outside of the building, where you could read it and the phone numbers to call at night.

The general idea is to clear a four or five berth space on each side of the vessel on fire, after calling the fire department and the water police and the fireboat. It's a situation where having liveaboard folks can save or help save quite a lot.

Ann
Old 16-05-2024, 15:50   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

start fire is from explosion in 1 second what i see 3-4 boat catch fire
but on other side of ponton boat is saved except 2 havy damaged

cleaning started. this boat wher is started he be this day come in marina.
marina is very small and strange.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 16:44   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@GILow,

Does your marina have a fire plan? One we spent a lot of time at in the Brisbane area did, and made sense, too. It was posted two places, in the marina office, where one paid one's bill, and also on the outside of the building, where you could read it and the phone numbers to call at night.

The general idea is to clear a four or five berth space on each side of the vessel on fire, after calling the fire department and the water police and the fireboat. It's a situation where having liveaboard folks can save or help save quite a lot.

Ann
Yes, and to the credit of management it’s well publicised too.
Old 16-05-2024, 18:39   #7

Most people do not realize that fiberglass-- which nearly all pleasure boats are
made of----------- burns insanely super hot when it gets going.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2024, 14:18   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

The fire at the Croatian Marina looks shocking and confronting, and it's amazing it didn't result in fatality. Thanks goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@GILow,
Does your marina have a fire plan? ...
Ann
Having a marina plan is something I'd not heard of before. What a great idea, and I'll certainly be raising this with the marina managers I come across.

One poster mentioned the heat at which fibre glass burns. It's reported to be about 700 °C. This is a good point and I'm not intending to play one up but I'll point out that plastic wiring burns at twice as hot and gives off inordinate thick toxic smoke. I speak from experience.

I can't help but wonder,
1. when you add in lithium batteries to the already very significant fuel load of a plastic boat, is one massively adding to that fuel load? Is it perhaps doubled?

2. are slip spaces in Marinas too small to handle emergencies?

On the issue of lithium powering a yacht. We know lithium batteries have runaway fires.

I've heard this advice; choose a well-ventilated store that is away from direct sunlight, and not in the vicinity of hot surfaces, mechanical equipment, open flames or other ignition sources. Strikes me as imminently sensible.

And yet every siting I've seen has been deep in the bowels of the vessel, sometimes in the engine bay itself. I wonder why those installing lithium don't mount them safely in a similar way to gas bottles? I'd be interested to hear responses who've configured with lithium.
Old 17-05-2024, 14:40   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
The fire at the Croatian Marina looks shocking and confronting, and it's amazing it didn't result in fatality. Thanks goodness!

Having a marina plan is something I'd not heard of before. What a great idea, and I'll certainly be raising this with the marina managers I come across.

One poster mentioned the heat at which fibre glass burns. It's reported to be about 700 °C. This is a good point and I'm not intending to play one up but I'll point out that plastic wiring burns at twice as hot and gives off inordinate thick toxic smoke. I speak from experience.

I can't help but wonder,
1. when you add in lithium batteries to the already very significant fuel load of a plastic boat, is one massively adding to that fuel load? Is it perhaps doubled?

2. are slip spaces in Marinas too small to handle emergencies?

On the issue of lithium powering a yacht. We know lithium batteries have runaway fires.

I've heard this advice; choose a well-ventilated store that is away from direct sunlight, and not in the vicinity of hot surfaces, mechanical equipment, open flames or other ignition sources. Strikes me as imminently sensible.

And yet every siting I've seen has been deep in the bowels of the vessel, sometimes in the engine bay itself. I wonder why those installing lithium don't mount them safely in a similar way to gas bottles? I'd be interested to hear responses who've configured with lithium.
You're thinking of Lithium Ion batteries as used in cell phones, power tools, laptops, etc. Those can contribute to nasty fires. However, lithium boat house batteries are typically Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) which doesn't have the same fire danger and are insignificant relative to the mass of flammable fiberglass surrounding them.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2024, 15:29   #10
Marine Service Provider

again 1 fire before 2 hour. lucky firefigting come from port of Split .from other side of fence under 1 minute,and also boat is aluminium taxi, diesel engine and have 2 space empty becouse 2 boat splash today. huge luck today. o yes some worker from nepal work on this boat solo.tomorow more info

also today beautiful more 55 charter sailboat hit rock and sink. 1 year old ,owner version. 3 cabin 55 ft boat https://more-yachts.hr/more-55/
Old 17-05-2024, 15:50   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I was a witness to a fire onboard a power boat docked near mine.

From the time the first smoke appeared to the time the fire brigade arrived was probably 5 minutes, by which time the boat had burned down to the waterline.

Had anyone been aboard, they would not have survived
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 04:32   #12
Marine Service Provider

again fire on 100 ft wooden boat in marina. lucky marina is almost empty sea picture when this port is full of 100-250 ft boat.
fire is stopet i dont know how.
https://www.morski.hr/pozar-na-divlj...rilu-jesenice/

Tags
Croatia