Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2011, 21:20   #1

Vessel on a Vessel

I recently acquired an old boat that had a few things that surprised me. One being when I turned on the water pump the cabin would fill up with water from leaking pipes, so I decided to replace all plumbing. While removing the sink drain I noticed the bottom of the wood that acts as a step / sink was rotting. I went and got a piece of plywood from a wood shop close by. My original intentions where to get teak but the carpenter recommended a plywood signboard. He told me how to waterproof it and make it last.

After I bought my new board and waterproofed it I did not like the idea of placing anything like the old material on it nor the old sink. I decided to use some leftover marine. Vinyl for the cover as it will hold spilled water on it long enough for me to wipe it up, and it handles rough weather. As for the sink a new stainless sink without the drain connection I needed was going to cost me an additional $149. As well as the $20 shop fee to cut the sink hole in the lumber. I decided I was going to do something nice that looked expensive but wasn't. I settled on a vessel sink. Locally they run 200 - $1,600 you can find some online that are ceramic cheaper, but I wanted fancy and different. I knew just the place to look.

I headed into my local home goods and scouted out at least 5 potential vessel sinks. One was a sea shell that was metal, I wanted it because there was a matching baseplate. I intended to drill an outlet at the bottom and have the water fall on the lower plate but finding a stopper would have been difficult and the metal would have likely corroded in the future. Not worth it's 34.99 price + 15.99 base plate price. I saw a crystal glass for 12.99 and decided I had to make it my sink. At the moment I did not know how or where to get something or someone to drill a 2" hole in it's bottom. I called around and got a quote for 15.99 (no guarantees that it won't brake during drilling) with a diamond drill bit at a glass shop, and $40 at a water cutting shop who wasn't sure if the bowl would fit under his nozzle. I took it to the cheaper place as I have heard success stories. Of drilling glass w/ diamonds before. They did it while I went sailing for the evening. Came back it was flawless.

I drilled the appropriate sized holes in my board and sealed it again. This time I added 5200 sealant around every gasket to ensure it maintains it's watertightness. I tested everything after fixing the plumbing and there where no leaks, my new Kohler spray faucet works like a charm. Only one problem. The crystal amplifies the sun and causes burns on my vinyl. I places white yellow and blue objects in the path and they didn't burn. So I will end up covering the bottom with a bright decorative object, or tiles.

Enjoy the pictures / attachments and thanks for reading my vessel sink install.

Raphael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2394371748.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	25528   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2953006835.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	25529  

Name:	image-1780691137.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	25530   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-23677564.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	25531  

Name:	image-605343650.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	25532  
rj_whitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 23:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Vessel on a Vessel

I gotta say that is a first for me! Good thinking!
Old 27-03-2011, 00:04   #3

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Creative!

I Like it!

I thought of doing something like that for a bathroom remodel. Thankfully, I sold the house before I parted with too much money.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 05:53   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Ah, a Lalique sink. The possibilities are endless. I always like creativity.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 06:07   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

What a great idea, would look really cool in a bathroom.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 07:33   #6

I hope no one gets tossed against the sink in a blow. There isn't anything on this boat someone hasn't hit when we dropped off a wave. But maybe you are better sailors than we are.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 07:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T'
I hope no one gets tossed against the sink in a blow. There isn't anything on this boat someone hasn't hit when we dropped off a wave. But maybe you are better sailors than we are.
It's a low cabin so no one is standing in it. If you do manage to loose your footing the bowl is slightly under the companion way ledge, and a bit ways back from the edge. I'm a solo sailor as well so no one will be aboard but me. I did think about that though and that's why I chose the thickest glass. Metal or wood was what I really wanted but the cost was up there. Plus corrosion was a worry on metal as you don't know what they make them out of.
rj_whitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 08:10   #8

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Beautiful and ingenuitive...you are a ARTIST. Thanks for sharing!
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote