Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 10:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
USCG vessel certification location on vessel

Hi,

I've finally received the actual Certificate of Documentation from the USCG. I'm aware of the 30mm high letter requirement for the OffNum to be located on a visible part of the structure. However, i'm aware that the certificate should be kept on the vessel.

Previously, with the state registration/title documents I've kept a notarized copy on the vessel (clearly stamped 'copy') along with my insurance documents etc.

That said, when it came to the Radio Station license (for the boat) I placed that in frame near to the nav-station where the VHF and SSB are located, so that I wouldn't need to dig it out if ever I was boarded for inspection. I was thinking about putting a notarized copy of the USCG certificate somewhere else on the boat in a similar frame. Is this overkill? should I just maintain a copy in my certificate/insurance binder? What do other people do with their USCG certificate?

I'm interested to know...

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:30   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: USCG vessel certification location on vessel

Everything is in a binder for us......then again our bulkhead space is at a premium.

When checking in the customs agents like to be able to sit with the document in their hand as well

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
When checking in the customs agents like to be able to sit with the document in their hand as well
Aha! Yes, good point! Thank you.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:30   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have everything in document protectors in a binder, with copies. So if they need a copy, they can just take one
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:21   #5

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet

We were inspected last month by the CG in the ICW. The first thing he wanted to see in hand the CG doc.which is kept with rules of the road book in a ziplock bag. All are in a drawer inside,the inspector was impressed that we had rules of the road book. Every thing checked out, the inspection report is good for a year,
I keep it in the ziplock bag so no inspic fo a year. The three CG inspectors were very nice to us no problems!
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defeverboat View Post
We were inspected last month by the CG in the ICW. The first thing he wanted to see in hand the CG doc.which is kept with rules of the road book in a ziplock bag. All are in a drawer inside,the inspector was impressed that we had rules of the road book. Every thing checked out, the inspection report is good for a year,

I keep it in the ziplock bag so no inspic fo a year. The three CG inspectors were very nice to us no problems!

Now I'm thinking that I should keep the cert and "rules of the road" booklet rolled around the gas cannister of a fog horn, stowed inside a floating cushion along with in-date flares!

I like the idea of keeping the USCG r.o.t.r along with all of the other certs/docs that authorities like to see.

I wonder what the "perfect" document wallet would look like, when considering the above.

Sent from mTalk
Old 09-12-2016, 07:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defeverboat View Post
Defeverboat, were you "boarded" by a CG law enforcement team or inspected by the CG Auxiliary? Did you receive the yellow copy of CG Form 4100? If you did, it is not "good for a year" - it may speed up the next boarding but what's to say that you have enough life jackets or all your fire extinguishers are good the next time? The courtesy inspections by the CG Aux are just that, a courtesy (very helpful for many and well worth the time) but that does not stop a law enforcement team from boarding your vessel. The team can use the CG Aux sticker in considering whether to board you or someone else though, so it increases the odds of not being boarded.

I'm not sure why they were impressed by you having the "rules" because the Inland rules are required for any self propelled vessel over 12 meters (39.4 feet).
K100Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:28   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

I keep a binder with all the docs, including insurance and the state card (FWIW), with copies. That's the most convenient thing for anyone who boards and wants to see documentation.

There is no reason whatsoever to post the cert anywhere on the boat. Only the plaque needs to be affixed to the boat, and its more important that it's permanently affixed than it be out in the open. You can even epoxy it in bilge if you want, so long as it's clearly visible when you pull up a floorboard.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:40   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post

I wonder what the "perfect" document wallet would look like, when considering the above.

Sent from mTalk
I just have a bi-fold plastic binder with pockets. All originals and many copies in there (USCG registration, recent zarpes/cruising permits, insurance, ship station liscnece, crew list, etc...and many copies of each). All fits nicely into a flat waterproof bag with a zip top. Has served me well for many years and many countries.

No COLREGS in my bag. No officials outside the USA care about that (or much of anything else), but I do have a copy aboard.

Registration numbers on a nice wooden plaque affixed to a bulkhead in the port aft cabin. Never, even in the USA, had an official ask to see it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:49   #10

Boat: Columbia 36

USCG and probably foreign Customs will want to see the original Document, not a copy. I keep mine in a sleeve in a binder with all my other documentation. And as a USCG Auxiliarist, I rarely get boarded except for training missions.

capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification