Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2023, 05:02   #1

Getting clearance to leave the US with a US vessel

Can someone clarify the process and requirements for leaving US waters with a US documented vessel? I am an American citizen and called CBP in Bangor, Maine yesterday to inquire. It was as though I was at the door with a rifle. An officious young woman all but told me to go away and not bother her. Very rude and important but we know how many in the world of US authorities can be.

Normally leaving any country Customs and Immigration need to provide clearance before leaving to show that you haven't left owing money or committed any offences and are a reputable vessel to be allowed into the country that one next arrives at.
Sindbadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:12   #2

Re: Getting clearance to leave the US with a US vessel

The USA does not require clearing out as a routine matter for recreational boats with a US flag. You will find that there are people who say that the USA will not check you out, this is NOT true. There are countries that do require an outbound clearance be shown a check-in.

The procedure is actually simple: https://fetchinketch.net/2022/05/01/...ut-of-the-usa/
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:15   #3

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I have left the US several times aboard a US-documented vessel. I have never encountered any kind of exit requirement such as you describe. After all, other kinds of travelers ( air, auto, cruise ship, etc) are equally unrestricted. However, when we sailed to Cuba in 2000, the Coast Guard issued a permit called “Permission to Leave A Security Zone.” It didn’t deal with unpaid bills or anything, but was mostly speaking to the crew’s willingness to disavow the protection of the US while entering the sovereign waters of an unfriendly country.
As far as leaving owing money? Hundreds of thousands- millions?- do it every year. Most come back for the chance to owe even more money.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:22   #4

Thanks very much. I apparently need to apply for a "decal" of some nature which will be sent to me. The woman I tried to talk to was offended that I didn't know what this was. Not sure what this is or how to actually get it but she said I need to go to their site......
Old 06-05-2023, 05:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Your concern is real and I have experienced similar reactions from CBP. This trip I sailed from the USVI and tried to check I to DUTCH St Martin. Got flat refused, ain't gonna happen.

They suggested I check in on the French side, then clear out, then approach the Dutch side.

I know there is a procedure but do not know what it is.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:34   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Prior to leaving I go to the US Customs office and am given a decal with a number on it.
This I stick on the port side of the mast near the bottom.
When I return, checking in is usually done by phone, and you will be asked for that number.
I believe you can do this online now, but I have not done so myself.
The decal fee is not very much.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:37   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindbadly View Post
Thanks very much. I apparently need to apply for a "decal" of some nature which will be sent to me. The woman I tried to talk to was offended that I didn't know what this was. Not sure what this is or how to actually get it but she said I need to go to their site......
https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#%20

Info on the decals is above. The purpose of the decals is to expedite the process of returning to the US. If you do not have the decals, you will likely need to go to a customs office, in person, to check back in. With the decals you often (but not always) can check in by phone video using the CBP ROAM app.

You apply and pay for the decals online. I got mine in the mail within a couple of weeks after applying.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:43   #8

So the Decal is an annual requirement? I am heading to the Med for some time so I guess there is no point in getting the decal now as it will have expired by the time the boat returns.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:53   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindbadly View Post
So the Decal is an annual requirement? I am heading to the Med for some time so I guess there is no point in getting the decal now as it will have expired by the time the boat returns.
Yes, annual.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:50   #10

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

You don’t need the physical decal - You need the number.
When you apply online you will get a decal number and a receipt online. I suggest you print that online screen showing the receipt, and print to PDF to save with scans of your other important vessel documents.
PS - I have a portable printer and scanner aboard. They’re both very compact (about the size of a kitchen vacuum food-sealer). Good enough for low volume use. All docs backed up to cloud accounts.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:16   #11

You don’t need exit papers to leave the US, you need them to enter a foreign country. BVI to USVI excluded.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Your concern is real and I have experienced similar reactions from CBP. This trip I sailed from the USVI and tried to check I to DUTCH St Martin. Got flat refused, ain't gonna happen.

They suggested I check in on the French side, then clear out, then approach the Dutch side.

I know there is a procedure but do not know what it is.
Go to customs in Charlotte Amelie, get your exit papers signed off before going to the other islands.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:30   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You need to ask for form 1300.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:34   #14

Yes, as Donald says. Download from 1300 and also from I-418 which is the crew list. Fill them out ahead of time and then ask the nice, friendly and efficient CBP officers to sign them. I’m never sure if they are going to sign them or shoot me.
Old 16-05-2023, 13:04   #15

That is very helpful. Thanks.
Nautes is offline   Reply With Quote