Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2012, 22:29   #241

Boat: 1984 Cal 31
Re: Boat Held Hostage By Marine Transport Company

Well, I am still looking for a happy ending to this. Keeping my fingers crossed. Let's hope the OP reports back with some pipe-swinging lawyers at his beck and call.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply
Old 15-10-2012, 17:14   #242

I have an insured boat I cant seem to sell, where can i get ahold of this trucker to "haul it" for me?

Cheechako is offline   Reply
Old 16-10-2012, 02:08   #243
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
Well, I am still looking for a happy ending to this. Keeping my fingers crossed. Let's hope the OP reports back with some pipe-swinging lawyers at his beck and call.

Tankersteve
Even if not - already a free lesson for everyone else, albeit likely not for OP .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply
Old 17-10-2012, 00:27   #244

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

My sympathies go out to the OP and I really hope he gets resolution asap and that he doesn't lose anything because of what has happened. It has made me think that we will definitely not be buying a live-aboard inland. After reading this there is no way I would entrust our newly purchased boat to this risk. It narrows down our opportunities a bit and of course excludes acquiring a boat that has only been on fresh water but that is a price we are rather prepared to pay.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of this "trucker" and may his arms be too short to reach them.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply
Old 17-10-2012, 03:11   #245

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREOLE-BELLE View Post
One would entrust moving a valuable boat only with an email arrangement if you were as dense and trusting as I. The thing is that's worked for me for 70 years.
Ha ha, you and me! Wow, I was so upset about getting done for a mere $400 the other day. If someone "took" my boat I would be unconsolable.

You should get a copy of Max Hardburger's book "Seized" and have a look at the scams that happen in commercial shipping. And - yes - even in hundreds of thousand dollar repairs owners will be "trusting" enough not to get a proper contract. Reading it made me feel better.

All the best, Shane
Old 17-10-2012, 07:57   #246

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
My sympathies go out to the OP and I really hope he gets resolution asap and that he doesn't lose anything because of what has happened. It has made me think that we will definitely not be buying a live-aboard inland. After reading this there is no way I would entrust our newly purchased boat to this risk. It narrows down our opportunities a bit and of course excludes acquiring a boat that has only been on fresh water but that is a price we are rather prepared to pay.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of this "trucker" and may his arms be too short to reach them.
For me personally, this story is a lesson to be learned. Now, looking back, it is easy to see the mistakes that were made. I can also see how one could very easily make them. I do not nessarily believe this is a true scam. I think it is possible we simply have a less than reputable vender that got in over his head. I would not let this one example stop me from ever moving my boat, there are lots of reputable movers, that can do this job with no problems. I would simply do things alot differntly.

If I were looking to buy a boat, I would definitly be looking at all the fresh water boats first. The amount of wear and tear on a given boat that is in fresh water compaired to one that has been in salt water is normally remarkable.
To me, it would also be worth having it moved. I have moved several boats with boat movers, and never had anything negitive come out of the experience. But I was involved in every part of the move. I was there when the boat was loaded onto the trailer. I was there following behind in my car while it was traveling down the road. I was there when it was off loaded. I did not check the mover out. I had no contract. I may have been at risk, but due to my involvement, no problems arrised.

I too wish the OP all the luck in the world, and hope this comes to a happy ending. If he is still out there I would love to hear how the search for his boat is coming, but I suspect this form is not number one on his priority list.
Rocketman is offline   Reply
Old 17-10-2012, 08:10   #247

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Well said. Exactly what I was thinking.
there are ALWAYS two sides to every story. We've heard only one which is never a sound basis on which to form a judgment.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply
Old 17-10-2012, 08:20   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
there are ALWAYS two sides to every story. We've heard only one which is never a sound basis on which to form a judgment.
Exacly true,
Old 17-10-2012, 09:02   #249
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Ha ha, you and me! Wow, I was so upset about getting done for a mere $400 the other day. If someone "took" my boat I would be unconsolable.

You should get a copy of Max Hardburger's book "Seized" and have a look at the scams that happen in commercial shipping. And - yes - even in hundreds of thousand dollar repairs owners will be "trusting" enough not to get a proper contract. Reading it made me feel better.

All the best, Shane
Proper contract is a must if you want to be paid!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply
Old 17-10-2012, 09:49   #250
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bluewater, by your logic you should also never ever go into a post office again, because "once just once" someone went postal in one.

You know, put it in persepctive, this is probably the first time anyone has claimed aboat in transport was hijacked by the transporter, and we still don't never any of the important details, like whether the transported was licensed, or there was a contract, or if Islamist terrorists got upset by the name of the boat and really were the culprits. (You know, as long as we're free to speculate.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply
Old 17-10-2012, 11:03   #251

Quote:

There are good marine transport companies that have been doing it coast to coast for decades. Just make sure they are not a fly by night outfit, with insurance etc. New boat manufacturers use them all the time. (Sea Ray, Beneteau, etc)

Cheechako is offline   Reply
Old 17-10-2012, 11:07   #252
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"There are good marine transport companies ... New boat manufacturers use them all the time"

Damn! No wonder the USPS is in trouble. How much money do they lose at 44c the first ounce, 22c every additional ounce, when some cheapass boat maker ships a boat by truck instead of sending it out by first class mail?!

Quickly, Cheechako, we must bring this to the attention of Congress! <VBG>
Old 17-10-2012, 12:07   #253

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Bluewater, by your logic you should also never ever go into a post office again, because "once just once" someone went postal in one.

You know, put it in persepctive, this is probably the first time anyone has claimed aboat in transport was hijacked by the transporter, and we still don't never any of the important details, like whether the transported was licensed, or there was a contract, or if Islamist terrorists got upset by the name of the boat and really were the culprits. (You know, as long as we're free to speculate.)
Well ... I am just that bit more wary now. I don't believe in taking unnecessary risks and none of us really know the true extent of the scams that have occurred and horror stories that are out there, so nothing wrong with my logic. I still go into Post Offices all the time and am not paranoid about anything in life. My perspective has not been lost; I am merely eliminating a risk at a cost I can afford.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply
Old 17-10-2012, 12:40   #254

Quote:
Well ... I am just that bit more wary now. I don't believe in taking unnecessary risks and none of us really know the true extent of the scams that have occurred and horror stories that are out there, so nothing wrong with my logic. I still go into Post Offices all the time and am not paranoid about anything in life. My perspective has not been lost; I am merely eliminating a risk at a cost I can afford.
The point that I think may have been missed is, I believe that this situation is extremly rare, and can be easily avoided, with good contracts, references, and due dillangance. All of these appear to be missing with this one case.
I would not overlook a freshwater boat simply because it needs to be moved to the ocean. The benifits of a properly mantained fresh water boat over a properly maintained salt water boat of the same make and model can't be overstated. And if I had the choice, I would take the fresh water boat and move it even though I would have to incure the hassle and expence of transport.
Old 17-10-2012, 14:13   #255
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yeah, there is one side of me that says "Put my BOAT on a TRUCK? Isn't that like stepping out of a perfectly good airplane?" You know, the reason some folks say they've never tried parachuting?
Or the reason you never step off a boat into the liferaft, until you have to step UP into the raft?

I can see the point, but of course, there are so few convenient canals besides the Erie, Cape Cod, C&D or the Okeefenokee. What did Obama say about needing SHOVEL READY projects? <WEG>
Closed Thread

Tags
marine