Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 18:54   #256

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Yeah, there is one side of me that says "Put my BOAT on a TRUCK? Isn't that like stepping out of a perfectly good airplane?" You know, the reason some folks say they've never tried parachuting?
There's no such thing as a perfectly good airplane.
Old 17-10-2012, 19:14   #257
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Boat Held Hostage By Marine Transport Company

Reminds me of the old joke about (with some variations) a hippie, a president, a genius, and the pilot and who jumps out with what when the engines quit.
hellosailor is offline   Reply
Old 17-10-2012, 19:18   #258

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
There's no such thing as a perfectly good airplane.
It's not about the airplane, it's about having a backup plan, I have been a test pilot, I never had to experience using a parachute, but I did feel better knowing that I had a backup plan if things went bad. In most things in life, having a backup plan is the key.
Rocketman is offline   Reply
Old 18-10-2012, 02:17   #259

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Hi ho,

Back to the point, I am thinking there must have to be some sort of applicable offence in the US Federal Criminal Law or Code about obtaining a financial gain by deceit, or similar which would apply in this case? OK, this might be over the average cops head, but a decent Lawyer - or maybe even Prosecutor - could put the facts into perspective.

Predictably, someone will bring back up the argument that due a contract this is a civil case. However, the above criminal conduct would void the contract.

Oh yeah, while this is not legal advice, I am an admitted Lawyer, although not practicing at present. This really helped me the other day when a boat yard rung the Water Police and Maritime telling them I had done a runner on my bill. I was able to convince them it was a genuine civil matter and out of their jurisdiction. Regardless, on the facts so far, the OP's situation sounds like a scam captured by criminal laws.

Hey, maybe I should go back to law and get paid for this stuff? I could even use my profile avatar on my business cards?

Creole Belle, don't give up and again all the best!
Old 18-10-2012, 02:41   #260

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

God said to Satan, I will sue you,

Satan said to God, where are you going to get a good lawyer from,
Mr B is offline   Reply
Old 18-10-2012, 02:52   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
God said to Satan, I will sue you,

Satan said to God, where are you going to get a good lawyer from,
Hey, maybe the reason I am not practising relates to the fact I have never scored less than a high distinction in an ethics subject or jurisprudence? Then again, maybe I should have gone straight to the Bar?

Gotta admit though that cruising is much more relaxing than dealing with any sort of human scumbag bottom feeder. Then again, the professional courtesy joke might be reality; I have speafished and surfed for decades and real sharks seem to keep their distance.

Oops, we do seem to be drifting again!
Old 19-10-2012, 15:45   #262

Contact me, I think I can help or try to help. I have a mast that I am waiting to be delivered to Houston that is on this same truck. He picked it up in Charlotte, NC a month ago today and took it to California cause he said he wasnt comfortable leaving it with my employee on a Sat while I was out of town. Was suppose to bring it back to Houston the following week and heard all sorts of stories of broken down trailer due to overweight boat, etc. He is on his way to Vancouver right now, spent the last few days in San fran.

Thanks!!!
Hayesrigging is offline   Reply
Old 19-10-2012, 15:53   #263

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post

Oh yeah, while this is not legal advice, I am an admitted Lawyer, although not practicing at present. This really helped me the other day when a boat yard rung the Water Police and Maritime telling them I had done a runner on my bill. I was able to convince them it was a genuine civil matter and out of their jurisdiction. Regardless, on the facts so far, the OP's situation sounds like a scam captured by criminal laws.

Hey, maybe I should go back to law and get paid for this stuff? I could even use my profile avatar on my business cards?

Creole Belle, don't give up and again all the best!
I seriously doubt it
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply
Old 19-10-2012, 18:24   #264

The mast HayesRigging refers to belongs to me. It was shipped from Charlotte, NC on Sept 21, 2012 on Big Dog Marine LLC, driver was Dan Steadley, based in Charleston, SC. Steadley agreed to deliver my mast to Seabrook, TX, on Sept 22, 2012. He did not arrive as planned. On Sept 28th he texted me that he had broken down due to a customer lying to him about the weight of his boat and that he had sheared lug nuts. (Sound familiar Creole?) On 10/4/2012 he texted me he was in Los Angeles still awaiting parts for his trailer. On 10/10/2012 I had lost patience and demanded to know where my mast was. Steadley refused to tell me. Steadley informed the FBI (whom I had notified) that he would deliver the mast on 10/19/2012. He did not. Legal advice informs me that the legal term for what Steadley is doing is called, "conversion". It is a type of theft. I have posted on other forums and found out that Steadley is likely on a delivery to Vancouver, BC at this time. Whether or not he is connected to member Creole is not known to me but sounds likely. The insurance company involved is Strickland Marine Insurance in Charleston, SC. They have not been helpful. It sounds from reading the threads that Steadley may have stashed my mast and other property in El Paso, TX. Anyone with any knowledge of this please post with info. Thanks.
Dansante85 is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 01:13   #265

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansante85 View Post
The mast HayesRigging refers to belongs to me. It was shipped from Charlotte, NC on Sept 21, 2012 on Big Dog Marine LLC, driver was Dan Steadley, based in Charleston, SC. Steadley agreed to deliver my mast to Seabrook, TX, on Sept 22, 2012. He did not arrive as planned. On Sept 28th he texted me that he had broken down due to a customer lying to him about the weight of his boat and that he had sheared lug nuts. (Sound familiar Creole?) On 10/4/2012 he texted me he was in Los Angeles still awaiting parts for his trailer. On 10/10/2012 I had lost patience and demanded to know where my mast was. Steadley refused to tell me. Steadley informed the FBI (whom I had notified) that he would deliver the mast on 10/19/2012. He did not. Legal advice informs me that the legal term for what Steadley is doing is called, "conversion". It is a type of theft. I have posted on other forums and found out that Steadley is likely on a delivery to Vancouver, BC at this time. Whether or not he is connected to member Creole is not known to me but sounds likely. The insurance company involved is Strickland Marine Insurance in Charleston, SC. They have not been helpful. It sounds from reading the threads that Steadley may have stashed my mast and other property in El Paso, TX. Anyone with any knowledge of this please post with info. Thanks.
Certainly does sound like the same scumbag. I really hope you folks get this all sorted asap and that it works out well for you.

I think this guy needs a swim with great whites in the Bay area, don't you?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 03:32   #266
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Hayesrigging.

Hayes Rigging & Custom Hardware, Inc.
2916 Bayport Blvd. (Hwy 146)
Seabrook, Tx 77586 USA
http://www.hayesrigging.com/

GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 04:23   #267

Boat: Endeavour 43

I have been lurking this thread and today I learned something very important...the legal term called conversion.
Conversion of Property legal definition of Conversion of Property. Conversion of Property synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
Criminal conversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We all need to study this to be protected in the future from crooks like Big Dog Marine.
brankin is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 04:47   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I seriously doubt it
Why, because I have a sense of humour.

Yep, B Bus LLB University of Newcastle Australia

Oh, I got near top in both Contracts and Criminal Law exams.

Hey, next time maybe I should not bother offering anything for free?
Old 20-10-2012, 05:57   #269
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREOLE-BELLE View Post
How do I find my boat?
I don't really want to read all the internet law experts posts.

All I want to now is whether you found and got your boat back since I haven't see a post from you saying you have.
Old 20-10-2012, 06:10   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankin View Post
I have been lurking this thread and today I learned something very important...the legal term called conversion.
Conversion of Property legal definition of Conversion of Property. Conversion of Property synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
Criminal conversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We all need to study this to be protected in the future from crooks like Big Dog Marine.
Thanks for the refresher! You got it!

Tags
marine