Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2012, 15:11   #1

outbound clearance leaving the US

Hi, I have a couple of questions concerning outboard clearance when leaving the US with a US flag private 30 foot sailboat. Will be heading south to South America from FL with our first stop in Bahamas.
I understand that U.S. boats & citizens are not required to clear out of the U.S when heading to Bahamas.

Questions:

1) Do we get a "outbound clearance" when we leave the Bahamas?
I understand this might be a requirement up on arrival in some other countries

2) We own a US flag boat but we are not US citizens, is there any problem with that concerning customs or any other paperwork?

3) what other documentation do we need aside from passports, visas, boat title and insurance?

Thanks for helping!
abarlovento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 15:16   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: outbound clearance leaving the US

Just have this form filled out, you may have to search for your nearest customs station. It may not be needed in the bahamas, but can't hurt to have it if you go somewhere that wants to see your zarpe.

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_1300.pdf

As far as leaving the bahamas I can't help.

But you will need your documentation and a crew list at least. Next time we're out I'm scanning everything ahead of time and bringing a printer for the 10,000 copies the latin countries want.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 15:59   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

It is my understanding that US citizenship is a requirement for a USCG documented vessel. From the CG website
Quote:
The basic requirements for documentation are to demonstrate ownership of the vessel, U.S. citizenship, and eligibility for the endorsement sought.
So is the documentation actually in your name?
There is no need to clear out of the US with a USCG documented vessel with the owners onboard. You will normally clear out of the next country. When you get to Spanish based countries you will be asked for your Zarpe (zar-pay). This is your last ports clearance document.
Old 26-07-2012, 16:09   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

While it has been common practice for the US not to issue outbound clearance documents to US vessels with US Citizens aboard in the past, this has started causing problems in some places. Most notably Mexico.

I doubt this is an issue in the Bahamas, very casual in the past, but best to confirm. Given that you are not US Citizens I would ask US Immigration this question. Probably best to get outbound clearance documents from the US if possible.

The US exit anomaly aside, almost everywhere else in the world will want to see your outbound clearance papers from you last port. So, clear out at nearest official port of entry before leaving the Bahamas.

On entry most countries will want to see at a minimum: registration, crew list, passports, outbound clearance documents from your last port of call.

I assume that your boat is State registered? In Delaware?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 16:09   #5

I only have th NYS title in my name, no USCG (as you said, only for US citizens)
Is it still posible to clear the US with these documentation?

So you are saying that we can get the zarpe in Bahamas and keep going from there?
Bahamas won't ask for our US zarpe or outbound clearance?

thanks again!
Old 26-07-2012, 16:12   #6

You may have problems going only with a state registration, I don't know for sure, but nobody wanted to see our state stuff, only the federal information.
Old 26-07-2012, 16:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You may have problems going only with a state registration, I don't know for sure, but nobody wanted to see our state stuff, only the federal information.

So, in that case nobody from a foreign country could own and cruise with a US flag boat?
Old 26-07-2012, 16:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarlovento View Post
So, in that case nobody from a foreign country could own and cruise with a US flag boat?

I think what most people from outside the US do is set up a corporation in Delaware and use that to document the boat.

All I know for certain though is that nobody gave a damm about our state registration.
Old 26-07-2012, 16:51   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I would think that as a foreign national you would be required to check out of the US when you leave, regardless of the boat issue. If you want to enter the US again and their computers say you haven't left, you are going to have problems.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 17:24   #10

Boat: Custom 60' Cat

hey, just left the US on a californian boat as a New Zealand owner and entered Mexico.
didn't need any clearance papers from the US at all.
I had been told that it would be a problem before I left, so I called ahead and confirmed, and sailed right on by San Diego!
sharkbait2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 17:25   #11

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I have seen boats held up for weeks because they were state registered!! Do not try to cruise anywhere outside the usa with a state registered boat no matter where you are from !!! If a boat is not registerd with a Country, not a state, you will have nothing but trouble ! I don't know where your passports are from but I think I would get the boat reregisterd there !! It will save ya many many dollars in the long run !! but dont try to go to the Bahamas or Mexico, with a state registered boat !! just my 2 cents !!
Old 26-07-2012, 17:42   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
The issue with State registration vs Federal documentation is that many foreign port authorities in popular cruising destinations are very familiar with US Documentation forms, but not so much US State forms. Some US State forms look like little more than a cash register receipt. You can clear with State forms, but it may draw more attention from the officials. I've never heard of anyone being denied entry because of using State registration forms.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 17:58   #13

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

Several times I have gotten jammed up ,sailings documented yacht to countries from the us.San Diego to CostaRico,non stop.They did not know what to make of it.EvenUSVI to Carriacou last year,the custom officer was about to blow a fuse.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 20:46   #14

As foreign nationals, you must clear out with immigration, but not customs if it is an American vessel.
If you have visas, your visa time after clearing out will be on hold until your return.
Afterward leaving the US, ALWAYS get inbound AND outbound clearances from each country you visit, no matter what anyone says; it's better to have if needed........
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 15:41   #15

Quote:
Just have this form filled out, you may have to search for your nearest customs station. It may not be needed in the bahamas, but can't hurt to have it if you go somewhere that wants to see your zarpe.

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_1300.pdf

As far as leaving the bahamas I can't help.

But you will need your documentation and a crew list at least. Next time we're out I'm scanning everything ahead of time and bringing a printer for the 10,000 copies the latin countries want.
Celestial--We just got kicked out of Kiribati/Fanning Island 10/2012 because we didn't have a clearance paper from the US. We were the 4th boat without clearance papers to arrive in 3 months. I want to let people know it's a must as well as copies of your crew list and documentation. The boat that came after us paid the $900 they requested (for our oversight) on top of their $70 entry fees but they had crew to pick up on Christmas Island so they were stuck. Even they were in Fanning in 2006 and it wasn't requested so BEWARE.
hansentripp47 is offline   Reply With Quote