Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2021, 15:12   #1

Synthetic teak vs painted deck

Aside that the synthetic teak deck looks better than painted or antislip deck, are there any advantage of synthetic teak over either?
Is there any significant drawbacks of faux teak over painted or antislip?
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 15:44   #2

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: Synthetic teak vs painted deck

I have "flexiteek" on my 07 hunter. its original and has been blasted by FL sun for all that time. Pretty much looks good although sometimes its hard to get the bird poop off. I do notice that in a couple of places the glue/sealant or whatever its put in with may be starting to lift slightly, and there is one place around the base of the pedestal that it is slightly wavy.

I *think* it is installed as a sheet rather like a vinyl floor. If you've ever put one of those down you'll understand the "wavy" issue.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 15:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I have "flexiteek" on my 07 hunter. its original and has been blasted by FL sun for all that time. Pretty much looks good although sometimes its hard to get the bird poop off. I do notice that in a couple of places the glue/sealant or whatever its put in with may be starting to lift slightly, and there is one place around the base of the pedestal that it is slightly wavy.

I *think* it is installed as a sheet rather like a vinyl floor. If you've ever put one of those down you'll understand the "wavy" issue.
Does it grip better than other options?
I am thinking of putting money and have the synthetic teak as it fits and make the boat which originally came with real teak deck look better.
I am just worry if there are more serious downside to it like water ingress problems etc.
Old 31-08-2021, 16:47   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Depending where you are located, even the synthetic teak brown maybe too hot to walk on w/bare feet.
We like kiwigrip (white) to walk on in hot/tropical clims and it keeps the boat cooler inside. Also great non-slip w/the proper amount of texture.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 17:25   #5

Boat: Hanse 458

I have flexiteak as well. Grip is good. It does get pretty hot mid day in the sun. Oil type stains seem to set. Haven’t found a good cleaning method on those. Seems pretty rugged so far.
Mike32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 19:03   #6

Boat: Hunter 38

It gets hot. Not hotter at the surface than a similar hue of wood, but wood would insulate better I think. The other thing to think about if replacing a previous teak deck would be thickness. You'd want to ensure close enough thickness or a way to get there. You wouldn't want the new decking proud of the surrounding gel coat.

Its grip is fine wet or dry. I think its better than sanded awlgrip but there are other options.

Coolness of an all white deck in the tropics is probably worth something, enough to outweigh your aesthetic preference, I can't answer.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 20:13   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Stark white Awlgrip & nonskid. It’s never hot and we are live aboard in the Caribbean. This also means cooler in the cabin.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 21:50   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Be very careful with flexiteak , firstly in any significant heat it can get hot enough to burn your feet. We had to hose ours down.

Secondly unless installed really really well by a factory trained person , it “ will “ lift in places and damned hard to fix.

I’m not convinced and I’ve used it on two boats.
Old 31-08-2021, 22:42   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Stark white Awlgrip & nonskid. It’s never hot and we are live aboard in the Caribbean. This also means cooler in the cabin.

Ditto. Replaced the teak deck with this and are happy with it.
Just like with synthetic teak, quality of application can make a huge difference. When done well, awlgrip with griptex can look very smart.
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:54   #10

Thanks, I'll keep it painted for now.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:29   #11

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Or you could consider a cork type, like marinedeck: good antislip, well insulating looks very good, is very pricey but one can install DIY.
https://stazo.nl/en/stazo-marinedeck/
Old 01-09-2021, 08:56   #12

Boat: O'Day 40

Take a look at Seacork. We put it down 6 years ago and it adds insulation and is really grippy. I find the Kiwigrip really hard on bare feet but the Seacork is foot friendly and looks nice.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:05   #13

Boat: Columbia 45

Another option is the eva foam, aka Seadeck. I put it in my cockpit 5 years ago and recently my aft and side decks. It is very comfortable to walk on and doesn't get too hot. My foredeck is still painted bright white.
jjt5795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Or you could consider a cork type, like marinedeck: good antislip, well insulating looks very good, is very pricey but one can install DIY.
https://stazo.nl/en/stazo-marinedeck/
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Take a look at Seacork. We put it down 6 years ago and it adds insulation and is really grippy. I find the Kiwigrip really hard on bare feet but the Seacork is foot friendly and looks nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt5795 View Post
Another option is the eva foam, aka Seadeck. I put it in my cockpit 5 years ago and recently my aft and side decks. It is very comfortable to walk on and doesn't get too hot. My foredeck is still painted bright white.
They look really nice, are cork or EVA foam as hot as synthetic teaks?
Old 01-09-2021, 10:14   #15

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
Does it grip better than other options?
I am thinking of putting money and have the synthetic teak as it fits and make the boat which originally came with real teak deck look better.
I am just worry if there are more serious downside to it like water ingress problems etc.
My old boat comes with Treadmaster, which you either love or hate it seems. Needed renovating. I looked at fake teak & was impressed but pricey - I ended up painting the deck myself. Hardest job was applying hundreds of yards of masking tape round all the panels. Looks good but would have been much quicker just to paint over them.

One issue - you dont say what is wrong with your original teak deck but I would advise making really really sure you have no other latent or underlying deck problems (leaks or wet core) before spending a lot of money overlaying that deck - it would be a shame to have to rip it off in the future.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, paint, teak