Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2018, 21:10   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Sampson post vs deck cleats for foredeck.

Hi all,

I'm replacing the decks on the boat. Now is a good time to reassess some assumptions.

Currently the bow of the boat has two very substantial cleats for lines from the bow, both set back about three or four feet from the fairleads at the bow.

The boat is a cutter, with a broad and reasonably clear foredeck. However the cutter means there is a staysail stay terminating on the deck about two feet back from the bow.

There is also a vertical anchor windlass a foot further back from the staysail stay.

I can fit a sampson post up forward if I jiggle things around a bit, but I am not sure if it is a better option than the two big deck mounted cleats.

Downside that I can see is that I'd be up with all the clutter of the staysail and forward jib/yankee when tying up, upside would be two fewer cleats on the deck.

Thoughts? Anyone have a preference.

Tags
cleats, deck