Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 18:05   #1

Sagging decks, delamination, etc

I looked at an older Gemini 3000 a month ago and there were two places up on the bow area that had previously had standing water. the areas were soft and I could see that there was a depressed place were water had accumulated due to the deck being low in that area....about the size of a large bath towel.....one on the port side and one on the starb side....
Also the deck was springy around some of the hatches and up by the mast.....Also the entire cockpit floor was springy to my weight (170#)....
The back cargo /gas tank compartment had an inspection cover in the bottom of it that led to the starboard hull....there was a hole in it and there was about a foot of water in the starb. hull....maybe the compartment leaked and it was rain water....dont know....
Also, on both the starboard and port walkways (between the gunwales and the cabin)...there were two small humps about 6 ft apart....it appeared that the decks had sagged down and were sitting hard on the internal bulkheads and something was pushing up on the fiberglass making a small hump.
Whatever it was ....it was solid because when I tapped on it ...it was a very bright and had a solid sound....so I think it was a bulkhead.....
Question....
Could I get some of you to give me your thoughts on the practicality of fixing all of that ....
I can do just about anything but only have this year to work on the boat
I can work on it every day.
Do those humps present a real prob...?
I dont believe that any of the compartments in the stern are dry.....should they be?
The standing rigging was good.
The engine is relatively new.
The rudders are good...
Havent seen the bottom but I looked at what was out of the water and it looked good...
Dont know about the dagger boards
Owner has given me a price that is very inexpensive.
tikiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:48   #2

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Sagging decks, delamination, etc

Man! I hate to sound trite; but with compassion, sympathy and experience....

RUN!!!

Even if it's free, it'll cost more than you can imagine to bring it back. Limited time frame? That's a deal killer in itself, considering the listed issues. My three year plan is now going into it' sixth season with the end just over the horizon!

Whole can of worms in this one. Please do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:55   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

A structurally sound boat is the rock bottom starting point, especially for boats close to "free". And no matter how close to perfect when you get the survey (do get a survey), believe me you'll find all sorts of projects to keep you busy.

It is well worth paying a few thousand more for something relatively well-maintained.

Even if you don't count a year of your labor, parts materials, shopping travel and shipping costs alone will cost more.

They're out there, just put some of that time & energy into looking. If you get out and about with a well-defined wishlist and survey the market you will find many many amazing bargains.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 18:20   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Even new they had springy decks, they are very lightly built but strong where they need to be.. If it's that cheap it could be worth it.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 12:42   #5

Boat: Aloha 8.2

Don't walk..."Run Forest,Run"!!
Hoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 13:13   #6

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

What has happened is that water has gotten into the core.

Fiberglass is not solid fiberglass. It is almost always a sandwich of a core made of, for example balsa wood, and fiberglass on either side. If water gets into the core the balsa wood rots, dissolves and turns into goo, then the water keeps heading deeper into the core. A single leak into the core in one part of the boat can spread through the whole boat, rotting huge areas of core, or critical cores which are far distant from the leak.

Any boat which has extensive core rot is worthless and can be thrown away.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 16:06   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The Gemini’s have solid glass hulls and the decks are a mixture of solid glass and some areas of balsa coring. You should be able to tell where the coring in the decks are by either looking in the lockers or feeling under the headliner. They are known to have springy decks but areas that are deflected enough to hold water is a new one to me.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, delamination