Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2010, 08:07   #16

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite, 37' - "Coral Kuching"
I don't believe any issue concerning safety "is a bit over the top".

Quote:
"Given the foregoing, it's unlikely that there is enough gas to be an issue. If one is that concerned, however, one can obtain and temporarily power a purpose built 3" bilge blower and 10' of 3" hose and suction out the bilges for about $30.00 USD, See Bilge Blowers - Wholesale Marine"

With respect to the above statement posted earlier: A bilge blower is exactly that : A blower. It is designed to displace an explosive atmosphere with fresh air. It is not designed to suck an explosive mixture (like a vaccuum cleaner) with resulting dire consequences.
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 08:22   #17

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Just turn on the bilge blower. That's what it's designed to do..
The hose is supposed to be in the lowest part of the bilge, right where the fumes are...
Also, you might want to get rid of the copper pipe and go with propane rated gas lines, they might wear thru if not secured, but won't break from vibration...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 08:23   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
I don't believe any issue concerning safety "is a bit over the top".
I think its way over the top.

In all these things I have to consider what I would do... and I am normally a few thousand miles from a Westmarine, or Ebay or a hardware store that sells more than nails.

We are CRUISERS! We should have all these answers as if we are there at some anchorage. You just can't run off down and buy a gas sniffer... or a non sparking vacuum for a gas leak thats just a "Problem of the Day". Cruisers have to find a way to clear the gas with what they already have on board and then fix the leak (with what the have on board!) and continue life.

At least Rebel Heart is learning for when he casts his lines off: A bit of cardboard.

Wave cardboard till all gas must have been dissipated, then fix the leak. Test leak with soapy water. Test bilges with cigarette (that'll make you wave faster and harder!!!!!!!!!!), finally test with a Kettle and a nice cuppa tea

And if you blow up you know you have failed

Cruising Life doesn't stop because you don't have a fire engine to phone.

Mark

PS I could do with a cuppa tea right now..... but lets do a beer

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 08:45   #19
CLOD

Boat: none
Open the forward hatch, open the aft most portlights, put the hatch boards in, remove the bilge covers. Let the air flow take care of it.

Go have a beer and wait a while!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 08:53   #20

I agree with Mark and Don here. Nothing elaborate is needed. Fan with a piece of cardboard. Let it air out for a while. Then stick your nose as far down into the bilge as you can get it take a whiff. If you can't smell any propane you are good to go. If you can then you need to repeat the cardboard-fanning longer and more vigorously this time (followed by having a beer longer and more vigorously, of course!).

Repeat until you can't smell any propane.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 12:21   #21

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
When expelling gasses from a confined space that may be explosive, it's best to blow air in by reversing the hose on the shop vac. This also works well if your painting or welding in a confined space and want fresh air.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 14:19   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Again, Mark and Don are realistic.

The amount of propane needed for combustion was mentioned earlier. Re-read it.

If there is enough to burn it is so overwhelmingly obnoxious that you could not stay in the boat with it. Just can't do it.

If you stick your head in the bilge and "smell it" that isn't much and any of the suggestions will work. I like the one about opening hatches to direct flow while one watches the beer supply dwindle.

If you stick your head in the bilge and are unable to stay there and "breathe" because of the smell, then you can use some powered air or more beer and plan on a cold dinner.

Really - fear of getting blown up when one smells propane is unwarranted.

PS. This came up in the Gemini forum a while back so a couple of us researched as best as we could and could find little to back up this "fear" with credible evidence. The search functions on Yahoo are sucky to say the least so I won't try to find it - sorry.

PPS. Some folks found some fires from propane but if one reads the info one finds stuff like the guy that cut a propane line with a torch (fire - no explosion) and such other stupid stuff. Yall' ain't stupid are ya?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 19:19   #23

Thanks to all above for your comments. You have put my mind at rest. I do not have a bilge blower or access to power so I will open the hatches etc and rely on my nose to tell me when it is safe. As my boat is moored in the path of Typhoon Megi I should get plenty of airflow (and a propane leak may soon be the least of my problems!). I bought a sniffer a few months ago but have not got round to installing it. I am now wondering from the comments above whether they are such a good idea if (a) they are unreliable and provide a false sense of security and (b) dangerous levels of propane are easily smelt with a nose (unlike CO for eg). I did not go for the version that automatically switches off the solenoid (as that would have meant a new solenoid too) but I am now thinking that is the only kind worth having (as it makes the system safe when no one with a good sense of smell and common sense is around).
Carmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 20:07   #24

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Carmelo, given all the conflicting advice I'm so happy to see you post again!
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 20:35   #25

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite, 37' - "Coral Kuching"
Hi Carmelo,

I totally agree with Mimsy.

Quote:
Carmelo, given all the conflicting advice I'm so happy to see you post again!
Great to hear that you have everything sorted out and hope all goes well for you with the approach of Typhoon Megi.

Darryl
Coral Kuching
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 21:48   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
do you have a bilge blower??if so , use it. other wise , air put the place and you will be fine. btdt. lived thru it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 09:52   #27

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Believe or not;
He does not have a bilge blower, scary isn't it? looks like time to upgrade to the 20th century
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 10:08   #28

Boat: private yacht always moving
Do it the easy way,,, send the motherlaw down into the bilge,,, ask to light a match,,, if it blows there was still gas,,, not much of a loss,,, if it doesn't blow you know it was safe,,, buy her a dozen flowers and tell her how much you love her
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 10:13   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
Believe or not;
He does not have a bilge blower, scary isn't it? looks like time to upgrade to the 20th century
The vast, vast majority of boats dont have bilge blowers. Only petrol (gas) driven speedboats.

Some boats have a blower in the engine room but thats not for clearing gas from the bilges.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 10:24   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The vast, vast majority of boats dont have bilge blowers. Only petrol (gas) driven speedboats.

Some boats have a blower in the engine room but thats not for clearing gas from the bilges.
Yep. The only boats I've seen bilge blowers on are ones with gasoline engines (Atomic 4, etc).

If I ever get super motivated I might install two cowl vents with ducting down into the bilge. Unpowered, but one facing forward and the other facing aft keeping the air moving around down there. I doubt I'll get that motivated.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote