Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2010, 04:50   #1

Propane Leak - What Do I Do ?

A copper pipe has fractured and leaked propane into the bilge of my yacht. Luckily I heard the leak. I have opened all hatches and its a breezy day so there is a reasonable airflow through the cabin. But my question is, is this enough to vent the heavier than air propane from the bilges? How long do i need to leave it till its safe? If I can no longer smell propane is that enough? Or do i need to actively suck the gas out from the bilges to be safe. Of course i don't want to turn on any bilge pumps etc until I'm sure its ok so I'm not sure how to remove it. I have read a lot of advice on how to avoid leaks but can't find any on what to do once you have one!
Carmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 05:18   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo View Post
and its a breezy day so there is a reasonable airflow through the cabin.
I'm only putting down my idea as no one else has replied yet.

I reckon an hour I'd leave it.

Obviously youve got a bit of breaze and youve wafted a bit about by hand.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 05:20   #3

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Smell in deep bilge areas for any propane pockets. Open up all floorboards to help in venting. If still in doubt, call fire department........most have devices for electronically sniffing gases. For the future, purchase a propane sniffing alarm to install in your system.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 05:20   #4

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
The explosive limits for propane in air are 2.1 to 10.1 percent by volume. Most people can smell the mercaptans (added to the propane to get the characteristic odour) at very, very minute concentrations far below the lower explosive limit; at 2% it will be so offensive that you'll have long since evacuated the boat. If you vent until you don't smell propane in the bilge anymore, the gas should be far below dangerous levels.

edit- as suggested by captain465, a gas sniffer should be considered essential equipment on any boat that uses propane.

The ignition-protected blowers used on gas inboard boats should have an easy time clearing the bilge of flammable vapours. If you don't have one of those, lots of ventilation (all hatches/ports open, all bilge access panels and cabinets open) should eventually do the trick.
Old 21-10-2010, 05:53   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Take a small shop vac and place it on the deck. Run the vacuum hose into the deepest part of the bilge--extend with a length of tubing if necessary. Turn the vac on and let it run for a few hours, suctioning the air out of the bilge and discharging it over the side. The gas concentration on deck will be diffused enough not to present a problem. You could do the same by temporarily rigging an engine room blower on deck but the shop vac should do it.

FWIW,,,
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 06:02   #6

Propane sniffers, of the permanently installed type sold for marine use, are not very reliable in my opinion. As a test, I discharged a puff of propane directly at one of the sensors, and it failed to recognize it. The manufacturer recommends replacing the sensor. After doing so, I get the same result.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 06:15   #7

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Take a small shop vac and place it on the deck. Run the vacuum hose into the deepest part of the bilge--extend with a length of tubing if necessary. Turn the vac on and let it run for a few hours, suctioning the air out of the bilge and discharging it over the side. The gas concentration on deck will be diffused enough not to present a problem. You could do the same by temporarily rigging an engine room blower on deck but the shop vac should do it.

FWIW,,,
I've seen that done. Just be sure the vac doesn't spark, (sealed motor), use remote switch outside of Vapor area. Dont plug or unplug when turned on. Propane diffuses readily into the air, time will reduce it to below LEL.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 06:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

FWIW,,,
I really wouldn't do that. Most vac motors are exposed from the cannister side... Motors produce sparks...BOOM!!!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 06:41   #9

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I really wouldn't do that. Most vac motors are exposed from the cannister side... Motors produce sparks...BOOM!!!
I agree with svHyLyte that it wouldn't present a problem with the cannister on deck, and the hose running below. I would use a plug source on shore, not below. That's the process I'd use.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 06:53   #10

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite, 37' - "Coral Kuching"
Whoaaaaa!!!!
Do not use a vacuum cleaner to suck hydrocarbons. A vacuum cleaner uses a universal motor that openly produces sparks.
By all means if the vacuum cleaner can be used as a remote blower, feel quite free to do so but never ever use it to draw an explosive atmoshphere through an area of ignition i.e. a vacuum cleaner or otherwise.
Electrical equipment for use in hazardous areas (ignition situations) require special construction and certification ("Ex"). I don't think the average house vac falls into this category.
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 06:59   #11

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Whoaaaaa!!!!
Do not use a vacuum cleaner to suck hydrocarbons. A vacuum cleaner uses a universal motor that openly produces sparks.
By all means if the vacuum cleaner can be used as a remote blower, feel quite free to do so but never ever use it to draw an explosive atmoshphere through an area of ignition i.e. a vacuum cleaner or otherwise.
Electrical equipment for use in hazardous areas (ignition situations) require special construction and certification ("Ex"). I don't think the average house vac falls into this category.
I stand corrected. Don't use a vacuum to suck out the propane.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 07:01   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

If you've a hand bilge pump (Standard fitting on most boats) make sure the end is in the lowest part of your bilges then give it some energetic pumping for about 10-15 mins... then stick your nose down there and have a sniff... continue till the smells gone... oh... and ventilate well while your doing this.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 07:05   #13

I wouldn't use anything that was not specifically intended for the purpose. E.G. shop vac to evacuate flammable or even combustable vapor. When dealing with flammable vapor (even combustable vapor) I would only use items which are specifically marked as 'Ignition Protected'. In this case, I do not believe that a shop vac is ingition protected. To my knowledge propane is flammable (as opposed to combustable) which makes it a bit more dangerous.

My rule of thumb: If I think it might be dangerous, it most likely is.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 07:31   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I think you Chaps are being a bit over the top with the situation. Carmelo's post read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo View Post
A copper pipe has fractured and leaked propane into the bilge of my yacht. Luckily I heard the leak. I have opened all hatches and its a breezy day so there is a reasonable airflow through the cabin. But my question is, is this enough to vent the heavier than air propane from the bilges? How long do i need to leave it till its safe? If I can no longer smell propane is that enough? Or do i need to actively suck the gas out from the bilges to be safe. Of course i don't want to turn on any bilge pumps etc until I'm sure its ok so I'm not sure how to remove it. I have read a lot of advice on how to avoid leaks but can't find any on what to do once you have one!
Given the foregoing, it's unlikely that there is enough gas to be an issue. If one is that concerned, however, one can obtain and temporarily power a purpose built 3" bilge blower and 10' of 3" hose and suction out the bilges for about $30.00 USD, See Bilge Blowers - Wholesale Marine
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 07:59   #15

Use a piece of cardboard to fan the bilge. The propane sniffers were great in theory until the reality of being in a boat bilge destroys them routinely.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote