Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 08:55   #46

Boat: Rhodes 22
Re: Ozone Generators - pros/cons

The same chemical reactions that allow ozone to remove odors also occur with many things in your boat. It is just a question of degree as to whether the reactions occurring will be a problem for you. Ozone is not selective in attacking only the things you wish it to attack. The long list provided by A4Dit is a good list to use.

I avoid breathing in chlorine if at all possible. There are commercial products for killing mold that are rated for use in HVAC systems including in hospitals. I have had good luck using these instead of bleach. Moldstat HVAC is one example.

Ken
SpringHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:14   #47
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarista View Post
Like this one
Obviously you are not a Douglas Adams fan and misunderstood the reference.

I have a boat that is clean and mold-free, and I keep it that way by using peroxide-based cleaners, a big plug-in dehumidifier that drains through the galley sink, and a hefty ozone machine that I will run for an hour when I first get to the boat while I am out doing errands. The fans are always running on the boat, and I have some extra ones that run when we're not on it.

I don't use vinegar (has too many organic compounds that are left as a smelly residue), those useless buckets of damp-rid, or leave the windows open (like mold doesn't live outside).

I do air out the boat for an hour once I get back from errands to let the ozone disperse (it also breaks down on its own), and to get some "fresh" air in. Then I close it back up and run the ac. If I want fresh air I am outside, because the humidity where the boat lives is regularly 90%+, and it's nice to be able to escape from it.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:30   #48

Hey, I'm OK with strong opinions. There is no shortage of those on CF. It is probably what I like about these forums.

Personally, I'd be a little disappointed if everyone agreed with me all the time. That would actually be a bit boring and we'd just be pointing out the obvious to each other.

I do get a little irritated when it becomes judgmental or personal and generalizations are being made.

That said there is some great content in this thread! Thanks for the education and personal anecdotes!

If I'm not mistaken, there are no posts from any ozone machine user who wrote in to say that they tried it, had damage to themselves or their belongings and threw it out.

Is there anyone here who owns one and has had a problem?
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 17:14   #49
sdj
cruiser

Boat: Ganley Pacemaker 40

Dehumidifier on a timer
sdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 19:39   #50

Boat: Hunter 356

I’ve got the same boat. Had the same problem.
I have no issue with using ozonators, but you have to clean out the source first.
I also like tea tree oil.
And the little heaters that are made for dehumidifying boats during the winter.
I attacked the source by rinsing the hull for an hour from any place I could get to. Let the bilge pump handle the removal. Much better. Still struggling with a little head odor. Might need to replace some of the sewer lines.
jsanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 20:40   #51

Boat: Passport 41

Read the fine print.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...d-air-cleaners
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:49   #52
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Wonder why every time ozone comes up it goes the same way and why the direct experience of those that use the generators is disregarded over those that don’t?
It is the same with smoking. There are dozens of smokers with direct experience of long term smoking who don't get get lung cancer or other illnesses yet those pesky medicos keep on insisting it is bad for you...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:48   #53
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It is the same with smoking. There are dozens of smokers with direct experience of long term smoking who don't get get lung cancer or other illnesses yet those pesky medicos keep on insisting it is bad for you...
It is ludicrous to conflate cigarette smoke (a known carcinogen) with ozone.

"In practice the half life (of ozone) is usually less than 30 minutes due to temperature, dust, and other contaminants in the air. Therefore, ozone, while very powerful, doesn't last long. It does its job and then disappears."

Like many others have said exhaustively here-don't be around the ozone while it's doing its job, and you'll be fine.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:06   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
"In practice the half life (of ozone) is usually less than 30 minutes due to temperature, dust, and other contaminants in the air. Therefore, ozone, while very powerful, doesn't last long. It does its job and then disappears."
This is a claim from OzoneSolutions, they make ozone generators and monitoring equipment.
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 13:27   #55

I didn't know what kind of response to expect - but I want to thank everyone for their opinions/facts/recommendations. Lots of great discussion.

To answer some of the questions/comments - we're using baking soda to absorb odors, Bounce sheets to replace/mask odors, continue to clean bilges and areas where smells remain and things continue to improve. Peggy hasn't shown up here directly but I've referenced many of her recommendations from other threads over the summer. (The recommissioned water worked great!)

I'm going to try the ozone generator and see if I can finish this. I'm going to buy one of the 3500-5000 mg/hr units and run it in the empty sail locker for an hour, then run it in the main salon for a couple hours with all hatches, lockers, bilges open. (after removing everything organic and that obviously contains rubber) I will obviously air the boat out for a couple hours before we head back onboard and see if this solves this.

I may also make a sealed chamber out of some spare lumber and plastic - large enough to hold the foam cushions and mattresses from the boat and let the generator run inside that chamber to clean those items specifically. I've seen the cost of replacement cushions and this seems like a ridiculously cheap alternative!!

One additional question - I don't think anyone has touched on it yet because it's not normally an 'inside the boat' item. There was a spinnaker down in that locker and it smells like something died in the bag......we've flown the spinnaker once this year and I've aired it out a half dozen times in sun, wind, etc.....better - but not good. Thoughts on whether the ozone and the nature of it attacking rubber/plastic/organics would destroy the sail?
McRobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 13:40   #56

What is the spinnaker material?
Once you know, it should be easy to look up the effect on that material.

One smelly item that I can say Ozone has very limited corrective effect on is mouse piss which I'm going to guess is an ammonia salt. For that you really need to wash the item with detergent to dissolve the salts. I've battled this one on several occasions. Washing was the only thing that worked.

I'm not saying that the mice were your problem but if your spnnaker will fit into a large garbage can, I'd try washing it first since when folded, the ozone will have a hard time getting into contact with all of the spinnaker fabric. Around here we have 80 gallon garbage cans, which will fit most sails. Put the detergent in when filling the can. Use a canoe paddle for agitation. Tip or topple to drain. Refill to rinse.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 14:06   #57
CLOD

Boat: none

wet sails = stink
Old 04-09-2019, 12:55   #58

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

I wouldn’t use ozone. What I can say is that Simple Green makes a food grade deodorizer, and a degreaser, which they sell by the gallon, and one gallon may well last the rest of my life as a tablespoon of each in a 16 ounce sprayer will clean most everything. What sold me on these two happened a few years ago when a busy fuel attendant pumped 15 gallons of diesel into my water tank. After purging the contaminated water we used the degreaser then the deodorizer, and no diesel smell was left.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 13:03   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentM View Post
Ozone is an irritant to your lungs if the concentration is high. Be smart. Be safe. I use the ozonator outside.
Personally, I've learned from this thread. Thank you.
crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 13:18   #60

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

We washed sails in our spa.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, ozone