Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2021, 03:39   #1

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design
Do you know how to adjust this stuffing box?

Hi All.

On the cusp of lifting my aluminium yacht for a major overall, I have been trying to figure out the workings of the stuffing box. Here's a photo:

As I see it, the stuffing box is integrated into a rudder log welded to the hull. I've marked (what I think is) the gland follower secured by threaded rod and then a series of two locking nuts. The gland follower has an integrated grease nipple so I am guessing that the gland follower also serves as the rudder post bearing (????) There's a gap of about 8mm between the gland follower and top of the rudder log. Immediately above the locking nuts is the rudder quadrant bracket and immediately above that, there is is autopilot arm. The autopilot arm is flush with the top of the rudder post so there is no room to move anything up.

When I lift her, I want to be sure that the stuffing box is properly packed. Yet I can't figure out how - or if - to raise the gland follower because it's restricted by the quadrant/autopilot above.

My surveyor hasn't seen anything like this. My yacht has been very toughly built by a now-defunct commercial yard in Vancouver. So maybe the fittings are more of an industrial/commercial boat fitting? Who knows?

Any thoughts on the stuffing box, it's current 8mm gap and how to re-pack the gland?

Really appreciate some knowledgeable thought.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudder for Showing.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	235473  
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 04:13   #2

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Re: Do you know how to adjust this stuffing box?

That may not be a packing gland, there maybe a double lip seal or two under that follower ,good reason for greasers ,seen before in metal boats, bearing under seals ,looks like a bit of a bitch to get apart ,definitely a slip job .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 04:26   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

My first thought is why would it be necessary to repack a rudder shaft stuffing box? Surely pumping in a little more grease would be all that is needed? It is not as if the stuffing box has the same wear as s prop shaft stuffing box.

The fact that there does not appear any way to repack the gland is a bit of a worry.

repack rudder stuffing box? - The Hull Truth - Boating and ...

21 June 2004 — Stuffing boxes do not need to be repacked very often. More times than not, if it is not a major leak, by backing off of the first nut, and tightening .
https://www.thehulltruth.com › ... › The
Boating Forum

Rudder Stuffing Box - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
17 July 2018 — Other than replacing the rudder stuffing box, I've never repacked it. ... very little wear on the packing in the rudder, unlike the prop shaft packing

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ox-204424.html
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 03:27   #4

Thanks both for your comments. What do you mean by a “double lip seal”? Cheers.
Old 31-03-2021, 03:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideocean7 View Post
Thanks both for your comments. What do you mean by a “double lip seal”? Cheers.

Does this help at all? Of course they come in all shapes and sizes

https://www.ahpseals.com/product/r2-2/

https://www.google.com/search?q=doub...w=1024&bih=626
Old 31-03-2021, 03:59   #6

Here you go! This article is perfect.

How to Measure and Identify Oil Seals

https://www.polymax.co.uk/blog/identify-oil-seals/
Old 31-03-2021, 04:07   #7

Thanks for this. I’m not sure I understand the diagram but the image makes sense. So could it be that what I’ve called a Gland Follower isn’t part of a typical stuffing box but a “holder” ( for want of a better word) for lip or face seals inside against the shaft and outside against the log? Or am I completely missing the point?
Old 31-03-2021, 04:45   #8

Probably you are using a bit different terminology.

Here is a link to different types of stuffing boxes, shaft seals etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oil+...mEQ9QF6BAgKEAE

You may wonder what the bellows are for? There's a tremendous force on the rudder and if the rudder shaft bearing surface is relatively short it could result in a very slight flexing of the shaft. In that case the bellows allow the seal to move with the shaft to maintain a good seal. (I didn't bother with bellows as my rudder shaft bearing is around 15(?) inches long)

Old 31-03-2021, 04:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideocean7 View Post
Thanks for this. I’m not sure I understand the diagram but the image makes sense. So could it be that what I’ve called a Gland Follower isn’t part of a typical stuffing box but a “holder” ( for want of a better word) for lip or face seals inside against the shaft and outside against the log? Or am I completely missing the point?

Shaft Packing

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-Shaft-Packing

Old 31-03-2021, 15:38   #10

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder

Is your rudder supported at its base on a skeg?

The grease may simply be to improve the seal and not so much to lubricate a bearing?

Why do you want to remove it? Inspection? Or because it's leaking?
Looks like a fairly standard packing gland to me.

If replacing the packing be sure to use PTFE packing and NOT graphite impregnated. Graphite and aluminium are not compatible
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 15:48   #11

Boat: Outremer 50S

From the photos it looks like a gland style rudder port. Which would mean that, at least in your case, re-packing requires removal of the quadrant and possibly the AP arm in order to get enough room to lift the gland.

https://youtu.be/Wm1KK8RkR54
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 16:01   #12

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder

Is your rudder supported at its base on a skeg?

The grease may simply be to improve the seal and not so much to lubricate a bearing?

Why do you want to remove it? Inspection? Or because it's leaking?
Looks like a fairly standard packing gland to me.

If replacing the packing be sure to use PTFE packing and NOT graphite impregnated. Graphite and aluminium are not compatible
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 16:02   #13

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Regardless of wot the seal medium is to work on this unit will require a strip down off all the mechanical parts abouve the work area ,hear in oz it’s not unusual for lip seal to be used on prop shafts and rudder shafts ,especially in areas of tight access ,..⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 20:19   #14

Thanks all for your feedback. Apologies for the late acknowledgement. Someone put Easter in the way.

Adjo- Yes, the rudder is supported by a full skeg. I managed to track down the previous owner (on his way back to Canada) who said it's a stuffing box but doesn't know the make.

Dsanduril - thanks for the images. I saw those too on the web. The gland isn't leaking so no issues at the moment, but I want to know what type of fitting I'm dealing with if there are future issues. If the previous owner is right (?!) it's a stuffing box. What puzzles me though is that the gland follower is as high as it can go because it's snug against the quadrant above and the autopilot arm above that. Perhaps that's a much packing as the gland will take, especially if there's no current leaks?

Seales - yep, I agree that the way to be certain what fitting it is (stuffing box or lip seal) is remove it meaning disassembling the quadrant and autopilot arm. I can't see another way. What a pain in the proverbial!

Thanks all.

Cheers

Andy