Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2011, 16:47   #1
Marine Service Provider

New UV Hatch Covers

These are made and sold by Steve Outland 910-545-7174 and are called Outland Hatch covers. Go to Outland Boat Hatch Covers - Prevents Hazing, Crazing, Cloudy and Fractures.
These are the pics of the ones he fitted to my 47ft catamaran.They were easy to fit.I have just fitted new hatches and was loathed at bthe fact that the clock starts ticking and the sun starts its attack...but no longer , thanks to Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8688.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	34154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8689.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	34155  

Name:	IMG_8690.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	34156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8691.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	34157  

Name:	IMG_8692.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	34158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8694.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	34159  

Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: New UV Hatch Covers

I have more pics to add .Steve made me covers for the portlights too. To follow shortly
Old 08-12-2011, 08:21   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Chris, how are they attached to the hatches/portlights?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:35   #4

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Theres a video on their website. Outland Hatch Covers / Boat Hatch Cover - Installation - YouTube
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:49   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Yes these are nice... but they block all light too of course. We have some hatches where that isn't a problem, like lazaret etc. but I just saw a boat that has aluminium in there instead of Lexan, which makes a lot of sense too.

The problem I have with this system is the self-adhesive fasteners... I don't believe they will take 5 years of tropical sun without giving way. After those 5 years, the plastic they are made of will crumble apart too. I would prefer one that adds a bolt that goes through the lens.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 16:13   #6
Marine Service Provider

Guys , they are cheap enough to replace every 3, 4 , 5 years. They do not "black out " they still allow a sort of glow.
They are attached via 4 little 3M adhesive pads. Pads take 72 hrs to set to max strength.The adhesive pads are stuck to the underside of the twist lock puck.
Puck is made of polyurethane plastic , just like motocross fenders which last for a very long time !I will let you know how mine are in 5 years but i can tell you that i will not have any crazing
Old 08-12-2011, 20:53   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep, 5 years tops. But you might not be in the tropics and never have the problem. My Schaefer marine end stops of T-tracks don't last that long, first one just broke / pulverized after 4 years in the tropics.

UV here is pretty strong. Even spots on the deck that no acid can clean will be dealt with in weeks or maximum a couple of months. But that is about the only good thing we get from UV, rest is all bad.

The 3M pads work really well inside our boat, but the first time we used one outside where the sun gets to it, it fell off before the 72hour curing time passed. In the shade it might work though.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 08-12-2011, 21:04   #8
Marine Service Provider

Nick , the 3M pads go under the puck and on top of the hatch , so no UV ever sees the 3M adhesive pads
Old 08-12-2011, 21:21   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris smith
Nick , the 3M pads go under the puck and on top of the hatch , so no UV ever sees the 3M adhesive pads
Yes, but it is the temperature that makes it fail... at least, that is my theory. The black plastic piece will get very hot and conduct the heat to the adhesive pad. Even epoxy weakens under a heat load like that.

I used those plastic grommets (made from ABS plastic I think) as ventilation/drain holes in sail covers and they disintegrated within 2 years. So I wouldn't even surprise when that plastic part itself goes bad too. But like you say, it isn't really expensive either. I tend to look at maintenance too and things that ned replacing often go down on my list. Still, I might try this system anyway.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 08-12-2011, 21:54   #10
Marine Service Provider

Nick , for what its worth , i am in NC and there is a boat here that has had them on for 2 years. We had a brutal summer this year and they seem to be holding up pretty well.
All the best
Old 09-12-2011, 04:31   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris smith
Nick , for what its worth , i am in NC and there is a boat here that has had them on for 2 years. We had a brutal summer this year and they seem to be holding up pretty well.
All the best
Oh yes, no trouble for NC. I'm talking about the tropics only, in the US it should not be a problem at all.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:30   #12

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

What is the material is the white cover made of and what is the thickness? Those 3m fasteners look great but i sure wouldnt want a cover fastened with just one, it seems to me that if you were to step on the thing towards the outer edge you would be applying a lot of torque to a single center mounted fastener. Im assuming that they are to be removed when you go sailng.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:02   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Im assuming that they are to be removed when you go sailng.
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Yes, I agree, remove while sailing. Seeing this system I get all kinds of ideas for new types of covers and we need new ones, so keep it coming

cheers,
Nick.
Old 10-12-2011, 17:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

Yes , they are simple to remove and stow while sailing.Steve made me a canvas bag with velcro flap to store them in while under way
Steve can make for any size hatch.All you do is send him your dimensions. He has a chart you download of his website that shows you what and how to measure.
Mine are about 3-4mm thick.

Tags
hatch