Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2020, 08:13   #76
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Let's Talk Hull Painting

Well, when you keep your boat in moderate climates or have some hyper form of gelcoat then you may be okay with that, but my boat got the best gelcoat money could buy and it has deteriorated through and through. Even after sanding the oxidized layer off, the new surface is very porous.

Yes it will shine and it can be sealed but you need to redo that every couple of months which I am not willing to do. Also, for the large surface area of the hull, after sanding the oxidized gelcoat away, the actual painting is not much more work than the polishing, buffing and waxing.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 08:21   #77

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Well, when you keep your boat in moderate climates or have some hyper form of gelcoat then you may be okay with that, but my boat got the best gelcoat money could buy and it has deteriorated through and through. Even after sanding the oxidized layer off, the new surface is very porous.

Yes it will shine and it can be sealed but you need to redo that every couple of months which I am not willing to do. Also, for the large surface area of the hull, after sanding the oxidized gelcoat away, the actual painting is not much more work than the polishing, buffing and waxing.
Depends entirely on his boat. We don’t even know his situation at all.

If the gel coat went porous, that’s a mess. If it has a solid surface, it can be revived.

Source? Many years polishing mega yachts and restoring old 80’s boats and selling them for more than I paid, part of which is bringing the gel coat back using the same techniques used on the big boats.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 18:13   #78

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Depends entirely on his boat. We don’t even know his situation at all.

If the gel coat went porous, that’s a mess. If it has a solid surface, it can be revived.

Source? Many years polishing mega yachts and restoring old 80’s boats and selling them for more than I paid, part of which is bringing the gel coat back using the same techniques used on the big boats.
I’m going to try to remember to get a closer picture of the hull when I’m down there tomorrow. I’m serious, it makes the Captain Ron boat look like a new penny. I can only imagine the gelcote died some 15 years ago, and it looks like someone applied a gray paint finish to it then. The paint has also long since given up the ghost. It has been completely worn off in some areas, is discolored in others. And oddly, it has no flaking areas. The only areas devoid of paint have all been from rubbing, chafing, or possibly too aggressive compounding.

I’ll post and image so we can collectively laugh at the sad state of affairs.

On the bright side, I’m narrowing down my yard choices. I’ll be sure to provide updates as I get this figured out. And my submission for the ugly hull of the week coming tomorrow.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 21:04   #79

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
Dumb question, but I've never heard it addressed. Is it not possible to re-paint with gel-coat? It can be thinned enough to be sprayed on. It can certainly be repaired and buffed, and it's what most boats were originally 'painted' with.

Does it just not work, or is it just expensive with better options in other coatings?
There was a yard near me that always recommended spraying gelcoat. I couldn't afford them for my old boat, so I painted her (rolled and tipped Perfection on the deck), and was satisfied.... I think most choose paint, but I'm not sure why....
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 02:51   #80

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

My boat is awlgrip but needs to be done again. I have a large commercial compressor, air dryer, hvlp at my home shop and have sprayed before but not awlgrip. There's a good YouTube channel i watched a few months ago about specifically this process, in addition to boatworks today.

Frankie Bushong, looks like he does a really nice job and worth it to see all the steps even if you aren't doing the work yourself. He has series on Awlcraft, awlgrip, prep, even quickie jobs at his home shop vs boatyard.

https://youtu.be/ycE9keBCYhE
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 05:12   #81
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
My boat is awlgrip but needs to be done again. I have a large commercial compressor, air dryer, hvlp at my home shop and have sprayed before but not awlgrip. There's a good YouTube channel i watched a few months ago about specifically this process, in addition to boatworks today.

Frankie Bushong, looks like he does a really nice job and worth it to see all the steps even if you aren't doing the work yourself. He has series on Awlcraft, awlgrip, prep, even quickie jobs at his home shop vs boatyard.

https://youtu.be/ycE9keBCYhE
Exactly, his channel plus some practice is all you need.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 05:17   #82

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Could the grey you are seeing possibly be Interlux 2000 Barrier Coat?
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 11:52   #83

Boat: '76 Hughes/Northstar 40' sloop

In Tampa area it would be worth a trip to FGCI (fgci.com). They supply most of the yards in the area. You'll get great advice and maybe some referrals.
like-a-child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 15:39   #84

As promised, though a couple days late, here she is. She’s bit of a sad sack at the moment. I’m going to start working on the deck next week and will slowly get that where I want it to be.

But the hull is going to go to some capable hands to get it done right (hopefully) the first time.

I told you, this thing makes the Captain Ron boat look good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EFE50617-B6AE-458F-B6F0-87C989D8CBFC.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	223984  
Old 22-09-2020, 15:47   #85

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
As promised, though a couple days late, here she is. She’s bit of a sad sack at the moment. I’m going to start working on the deck next week and will slowly get that where I want it to be.

But the hull is going to go to some capable hands to get it done right (hopefully) the first time.

I told you, this thing makes the Captain Ron boat look good.
Yeah, so don't put too much money into it until you have sailed it for a few years in all weathers.

You can probably paint the whole thing for a couple hundred bucks with Pettit EZ Poxy.

Then sail for a few years and see if you like it.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...SABEgLFiPD_BwE
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 04:32   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yeah, so don't put too much money into it until you have sailed it for a few years in all weathers.

You can probably paint the whole thing for a couple hundred bucks with Pettit EZ Poxy.

Then sail for a few years and see if you like it.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...SABEgLFiPD_BwE
I wish I could find a yard around here that allowed owner-work. I guess the insurance or regulatory environments (or profitability) have really eliminated those options.

As rough as the hull looks (and I agree, ANYTHING I could do myself would be better than the current state), my plan is for this (my 5th) to be my last boat, so I don’t mind shelling out the money for a good professional job. But believe me, if there was a conducive yard, I’d be doing that as a stop gap.
Old 23-09-2020, 05:49   #87

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
I wish I could find a yard around here that allowed owner-work. I guess the insurance or regulatory environments (or profitability) have really eliminated those options.

As rough as the hull looks (and I agree, ANYTHING I could do myself would be better than the current state), my plan is for this (my 5th) to be my last boat, so I don’t mind shelling out the money for a good professional job. But believe me, if there was a conducive yard, I’d be doing that as a stop gap.

I don't think boat owners of nearby yachts would be very impressed if you spray-painted your boat in the yard. Roll and tip would be a different matter.
Australian Laws are very strict in regard to spraying in the open.

"Avoiding FinesTexas air regulations require authorization to spray. Most often, authorization will require use of a spray booth or totally enclosed spray area. Without one, a nuisance to neighbors may be caused with overspray or unpleasant fumes. This can lead to a complaint against the facility and possibly a fine. The money spent on fines later could be better spent on a spray booth or totally enclosed spray area now".
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 14:22   #88

I would never spray- I don’t know how to do it nor do I have the equipment. I would try to paint my hull using the roll and tip method if a yard allowed it here but they don’t allow owner-work. Not even roll and tip, bottom jobs, zinc changes, you name it. All prohibited in the yards I’ve called.

I would hope it goes without saying that I as an amateur won’t be buying thousands of dollars worth of paint and spray equipment to try something that I could just pay $300 a foot for! But I as an amateur won’t be buying thousands of dollars worth of paint and spray equipment to try something that I could just pay $300 a foot for!

I’ll be forking out the money at this next haul. It’s going to be an awesome facelift for ol’ girl! (The results of which I will be sure to post here!)
Old 23-09-2020, 14:46   #89

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
I’ll be forking out the money at this next haul. It’s going to be an awesome facelift for ol’ girl! (The results of which I will be sure to post here!)
I can't wait! I've been waiting since I bought the boat to paint the topsides. This thread makes me want to do it now, but first I have to pull off the toe rail and stanchions because whatever adhesive/caulk was used is oozing out and I would go apoplectic if it does that on new paint. I'm happy to live vicariously for a bit longer through your experiences
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 15:23   #90
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I can't wait! I've been waiting since I bought the boat to paint the topsides. This thread makes me want to do it now, but first I have to pull off the toe rail and stanchions because whatever adhesive/caulk was used is oozing out and I would go apoplectic if it does that on new paint. I'm happy to live vicariously for a bit longer through your experiences
Is it butyl? If it is, it will dissolve in mineral spirits. You might be able to wipe and scrape out enough to have a decent space that you can fill with something else from the outside, like 3M 4200.

Removing stanchions might be a good idea (to check the fastenings), but unless the toerail is leaking, it might be a real pain to remove.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, paint, hull paint