Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2020, 10:04   #1

Boat: Spindrift 43
Let's Talk Hull Painting

I'm hoping to benefit from the collective wisdom here as I plan my haul out. I've got all of the typical maintenance stuff pretty well in hand, but the one service I have yet to experience across the 5 boats I've own is getting the hull painted. The picture doesn't do the severity of the issue any justice, but suffice it to say, the boat is is desperate need. My plan is to find a capable yard here in the Tampa Bay area and have them do it. Note, this is just for the hull, the deck is in reasonable shape. I'm not sure how much impact this may have on the responses, but I'm thinking of going traditional white with a navy blue stripe at the top.

So some questions:

What's the best product going these days? Single part, two-part, etc?

Best brand for the job?

I've spoken to a couple folks and I'm hearing somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 per linear foot. Is that about right, or is that figure wildly off base?

Does anyone here like a particular yard in the area for this service?

Anything else I should be aware of or thinking of?

Thanks as always!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5486648L.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	223006  
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 13:53   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Let's Talk Hull Painting

One-part paints will need to be done again soon. The price will be nominally less because the paint costs less, but prep - which takes a lot of time and which is about the same no matter what paint is used- is what you're paying the pro to do. Painters around here swear by Awlgrip. The yard you pick will have their favorite, too.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 17:19   #3

Boat: 1983 Pearson 34

I agree with all you have heard. My quotes on Long Island were 250-300/ft.
When I did my research, Awlgrip was the call. Good Luck
JeffDPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 17:35   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Get the best paint you possibly can. Aelfric again. Another vote. Most of the cost of the paint job is in the labor. So saving money on the paint doesn’t make any sense at all. Over the years, it will cost you more to use a cheap paint because you have to do it more often.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 17:40   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

“New Awlgrip” is said to be more repairable than the original. This is great paint.

We had our 58 foot ketch done in Trinidad two years ago. Rawl Walker at Power Boats. White with a new waterline stripe. A fantastic artist. $4000 not including materials. It was done outdoors over hurricane season between near daily storms. Flawless.

I think white is easiest to match and fix later.

I would never use anything but two-part. Single part must be completely removed if you ever want to go two part.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E609FB6A-E12D-41BC-81F6-1B02B7ED75BC.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	223036  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:01   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

I agree with the above comments about the two part paint. I painted Phantom in 2009 with Petit Perfection and still have an excellent, durable topside coating. Awlgrip is the most popular paint in the Galveston Bay, Texas area. The paint is the least expensive part of the process.

I paint the non-skid deck with a single part polyurethane.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00659.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	223037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0406.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	223039  

Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:02   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Check out the difference between the traditional Awlgrip and the Awlgrip Awlcraft 2000 which is a different formulation. Each has its advantages. When we had Illusion painted, the Aden yard insisted they only used the latter although I don’t recall why. Both are two-part paints.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:16   #8

Two stories.

15 years ago a dock neighbor painted their Amel using one part paint. They were a fastidious couple and spent the entire summer of evenings and weekends doing the work. I bumped into them 2 years ago and the boat still looked fantastic.

I just had my 1970 Willard 36 painted - hull and topside. I went with AlexSeal, which is comparable to Awlcraft. Both are formulations where color is deeper through the finish and thus can be more easily repaired, though awlgrip has a more brilliant sheen.

I live in St Pete and considered Tampa Bay area yards. At the time, the boat was in San Francisco so question was do I ship it here where I can project manage the work, or have it done I. Mexico. I could not find a Tampa yard that would cut me even a tiny bit of slack on a major refit so opted for Mexico. It's worked out just fine and the savings were good

I can't speak to prices. Frankly, no one would quote a per foot price so in not sure where that comes from. They would give a budgetary price that went out the window when they saw the boat. I can't see your pics on my phone, but my sense is that unless the hull is in very good condition, tossing around general numbers might be a disappointment.

Good luck

Peter Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200901-WA0014.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	223040
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:27   #9

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

I had my hull painted with Awlcraft 2000 made by Awlgrip. Awlcraft 2000 is easily repairable and can be spotted in and buffed perfectly to match. Awlgrip is slightly tougher but can't be spotted in. Awlcraft 2000 is plenty tough enough.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:45   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Original Awlgrip topcoat is the toughest available. “Not repairable” is true, you need to touch-up with paint instead of being able to buff a scratch out and you can’t blend in by polishing.

But when you take a cloth with some denatured alcohol and wipe Awlgrip only dirt comes off. Do that with Awlcraft 2000 or Alexseal and the paint color will be in the cloth, and that’s just alcohol. Awlgrip has a much better lifespan.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 19:07   #11

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

The hull is not very expensive to paint with Awlgrip or something less durable. A 35' sailboat is about $3000. The topsides is what's expensive.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 19:51   #12

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Acceptable solvents for stubborn stains on Awlcraft 2000 are xylene, mineral spirits, kerosene and diesel fuel per the company website. If that doesn’t remove the stain then just buff it out to match.
I’ve had Awlcraft 2000 on my hull for 9 years now and it looks as gorgeous as the day it was painted.
It really depends on what you’re looking for in a paint. For me, if I gouge the hull, it makes more sense to be able to quickly and cheaply spot in the paint on a glass repair rather than deal with the hassle and expense of repainting the entire hull. But that’s just me.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:45   #13

Boat: Spindrift 43

Absolutely loving the replies, thank you all for the feedback. I especially love the pictures, please keep those coming!! (Even if they do make mine look far worse by comparison)

I am very pleasantly surprised to hear ~$3000 figures being thrown around. I originally budgeted $25,000 for this job, and even the $300 per foot was a welcome surprise. At the very least, it sounds like my budget is at least realistic with sufficient room for surprises. As you mentioned, MVWeebles (awesome boat name by the way) I'm sure there's going to be a good bit of gouge and ding repair needed before they start painting.

Ol' girl has a lot going for her, but the hull aesthetics really do her a disservice. Keep the discussion going, I'm taking it all in, and appreciate the feedback. Trying to learn this through Googlefu is overwhelming as it's difficult to separate the truth from the hype.

Based on the feedback so far, I may have found a yard for the service locally, they specialize in sprayed application of Awlgrip, but I'll keep looking for options as well.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:56   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

I did mine with one part Pettit EZ Poxy. In 2014/2015 Winter.

I put two coats on the topside hull after sanding off the old paint down to the original gel coat.

The paint was just under $100 for a gallon, and I had enough left to do the cockpit. I used the roll and tip method. Complete job cost maybe $150. (Paint plus rollers, brushes etc)

It doesn't shine like Awlgrip but its much better than the peeling paint I had before. I bought 2 more quarts and put on another coat in the Winter of 2018/2019

I left on the PO's stencil name on the stern.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	223057   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	223058  

Name:	B27.2.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	223059  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:39   #15

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Let's Talk Hull Painting

Name:	IMG_2949.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	223064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	223065

I just sprayed my hull with Imron. Came out wonderful, with very little orange peel. Can be polished, and repaired. As always, prep is king. With all the time spent in prep, if you want it to really come out nice, the paint investment is something I felt to be the smallest part in the end.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2881.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	223066

Tags
hull, paint, hull paint