Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 01:22   #1

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Interprotect 2000e for use as topside primer/barrier, any experiences or opinions?

I will be using the stuff below the waterline but I have a couple hundred pea sized mild blisters on my topsides. They have been opened up and cambered properly. I will be filling them with thickened epoxy,
My hull has been drying for about 8 months and I won't be getting to the topsides for a month or so as I have my hands full below the waterline.

Interluxe barrier system claims great results on topsides but what about sanding?
Any opinions or recomendations?

I really would feel better to barrier coat entire hull and not use a common primer.
I will be using single part interlux hatterus topcoat,

Thanks
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:53   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Interprotect 2000e for use as topside primer/barrier, any experiences or opinions

OPINION: I would give it a shot. Perhaps a test patch first.

FACT: It sands OK but not great.

If your topsides have just located damage, going over the whole area could add many hours to your project.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:15   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Interprotect 2000e for use as topside primer/barrier, any experiences or opinions

I use it for everything. Great stuff.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:26   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I use it for everything. Great stuff.
Recently used it as a primer under Interlux Bightside for a bootstripe...
Worked awesome...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:08   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

If ya can't spray it, why prime with it? Unless you're doing a roll and tip. Personally,I much prefer to spray primer, even for a roll and tip. You use less product in less coats and are much less likely to burn through while doing much less sanding. But 2000 does work fine for that. It's just an expensive, time consuming method. Even if you are rolling primer, you could choose one that applies nicely and flows out at least a little. 2000 is not that.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Well... There is this... If ya can't spray it, why prime with it? Unless you're doing a roll and tip. Personally,I much prefer to spray primer, even for a roll and tip. And this... You use less product in less coats and are much less likely to burn through while doing much less sanding. But 2000 does work fine for that. It's just an And this... expensive, time consuming method. Even if you are rolling primer, you could choose one that And this... applies nicely and flows out at least a little. 2000 is not that.
Other than the few measly point made.... 2000E is PERFECT for a topside primer...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:45   #7

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I have never had blisters in the topsides, only below the waterline. These were on previous boats, a Moody and an S2.

My thought would be to treat blisters above the waterline the same as below. If you are having persistent problems with blisters above the WL, then it makes sense to treat the whole area.

Have you had any professionals look at the boat to offer an explanation of what is causing blisters above the WL? It just seems unusual to me.

I love Interprotect 2000E, and use it all the time since our present boat is steel. I prime over it with Awlgrip primer and finish coat with Awlgrip.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:35   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I have a commercial aluminum boat. I use 2000e on the afterdeck because it is tough as nails. I drop anchors and heavy oceanographic instruments on the deck. It's the toughest epoxy that I have found. Painting over it is no problem. I use yellow Awlgrip to paint a warning stripe where the afterdeck goes into the water. I don't bother with the Awlgrip primer....the finish coat sticks to the 2000e quite well. I do give the epoxy a few days to gas and to cure before applying the Awlgrip.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 18:23   #9

Do yourself a favor and put a pressure washer on your entire top deck I think you will find you have a couple hundred more than have not expose themselves yet. Blisters are just a symptom of the disease. That's why when you find blisters on the bottom of your boat the best thing you can ever do is peel it because if you see a hundred that means there are a thousand.
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 21:35   #10

Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-09-2014, 19:29   #11

My herrshoff was built at staysail yachts in New York about 1981'with an airex type core. From what I read very few builders were using these new methods due to the level of competence required by the tecnicians.
Everywhere that I have exposed the somewhat high density foam it's dry and well laminated to the 3 or 4 outer layers of glass.
I must assume there was a problem with the gelcoat quality or process.
Also the accomplished English sailor that took this boat many places on the globe was a poor mechanic. He filled blistered careened on a beach and use microbaloon fairing compound and not proper epoxy potentially worsening the blister issues.
I have had the boat drying now for near 9 months and feel the boat may be ready to be put back together. Unfortunately the hull looks horrible because I choose to grind out all his red patches and I found small traces of moisture under about 30% of his patches.
I have scrubbed, hosed the boat probably a hundred times to try to advance the drying process.
She seems ready to go. And no I didn't use a moisture meter

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
enc, rot