Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2020, 17:49   #1

Boat: Pearson 367
How many barrier coats?

Hi all, my boat is on the hard for osmosis treatment. The hull was sandblasted to bare fiberglass. The quote from the yard was for two coats of interlux 2000e. Talking with a couple people who have been through the same they went with 4-5 coats.

I did a barrier coat search here and most threads were more about life expectancy, so how many coats?

Thanks
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 18:18   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: How many barrier coats?

I worked for Pearson but I cannot recall the exact layup schedule. You have removed Gel Coat so it’s not like you are applying epoxy over Gel Coat or aluminum. It’s a lot easier now than in the future. I used a lot of barrier coats of two colors to protect my marine aluminum hull and it worked very well.
Can’t wait till some performance sailor squeaks about added weight.
Your boat, your hull. Just curious, what did the yard suggest.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, an epoxy covered manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 18:54   #3

Boat: S2 9.1

I believe that Interlux recommends 5 coats, that is what most people I know apply.

They also recommend using white and grey and altering the colour with each coat so that you can see the amount that you are putting on.

You can do that but my experience is that the grey 2000 seemed much superior to the white, I would only use the grey myself.

Good luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 20:40   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Hi all, my boat is on the hard for osmosis treatment. The hull was sandblasted to bare fiberglass. The quote from the yard was for two coats of interlux 2000e. Talking with a couple people who have been through the same they went with 4-5 coats.

I did a barrier coat search here and most threads were more about life expectancy, so how many coats?

Thanks
Follow the manufacturers recommendations. Your yard apparently can’t be bothered to do so. I applied five coats of the grey. If you are going to do it...do it right. If you are going to pay someone to do it...demand that they apply the product per the manufacturers recommendations.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 06:06   #5

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I had my hull soda blasted, down to bare glass, as the gel had been peeled a long time ago. I would suggest at least 5 coats, to get the correct recommended thickness. I had a couple of buddies (3)help me, and in one day we put on 4 coats in one day with 9" rollers, with 1/4" knap. We used deck stain rollers from our local Ace Hardware, which held up just fine with no problems. The second day we applied one last coat, and "hot-coated' the barrier coat to the last barrier coat before it dried completely. This was on a 50' boat, so your "buddy need" might be smaller.
Old 19-08-2020, 06:13   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Maybe your yard made a mistake and quoted the Interlux 2000 rather than the Petite Protect which is recommended at 2 coats?

http://www.pettitpaint.com/products/...ettit-protect/
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 07:51   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I have seen between 5 and 8 coats applied.

2 coats sounds like a low number then.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 07:54   #8

We used Pettit with great results but regardless of product it needs to go on per manufactures recommendations. We applied additional coats (2) b/c we sanded to a smooth finish prior to antifowling while leaving enough product to meet the “min required dry film thickness”. smooth bottoms are easier to clean and IMO have less growth - it was a ton of effort but absolutely worth it.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:25   #9

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

The problem with the Interlux 2000 is that after about 6 - 8 years it fails. When it does it begins to trap moisture in the hull and promotes blistering. I had my boat Interluxed at the factory and it failed necessitating a major peel and layup. Sherwin Williams 2 part epoxy was then applied. That was in 2009 and the hull is still dry! JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 09:07   #10

Boat: 82' Catalina 30 Mark 1

I put 4 coats of the Total Boat (white) barrier paint on. It was a marathon cause each coat went on after the previous coat had tacked up to the point you could leave a finger print.
The first coat of bottom paint went on the same way.
Got this paint thru Jamestown Distributor in Bristol, RI. Great guys and good help.

Darrel
Currently headed south in Puget Sound, Washington State....
S/V Whisper, 30' Catalina, #2601
Olympia, Wa
darrelweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 09:40   #11

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Two coats of 100% solids epoxy would be fine. The fact that Interprotect 2000 is approximately 60% solids is why so many coats are recommended. If you use Interprotect do 5 coats but that seems foolish to me when better materials are readily available.
kenbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 09:50   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

How many gallons of paint can you afford in Guatemala? They might be trying to save you some dough. You are probably going to spend $475gal on Trinidad too.
It would be a real shame to not protect the really nice sand blast job they do at RAM Marina. I've never seen better.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 11:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
How many gallons of paint can you afford in Guatemala? They might be trying to save you some dough. You are probably going to spend $475gal on Trinidad too.
It would be a real shame to not protect the really nice sand blast job they do at RAM Marina. I've never seen better.
$150 a gallon for interlux. $350 a gallon for petit Trinidad pro. Which isn't too bad. Just a touch above west marine prices I think.
Old 19-08-2020, 12:12   #14

Before dissing the yard, I’d recommend you check to see what specific barrier cost product is being apppied. Pettit has a new product on the market and the manufacturers recommendation is only 2 coats as opposed to their previous product.
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 12:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderd View Post
Before dissing the yard, I’d recommend you check to see what specific barrier cost product is being apppied. Pettit has a new product on the market and the manufacturers recommendation is only 2 coats as opposed to their previous product.
I checked and they quoted two coats of interlux 2000e. I'll look at other products. Im leaving the hull bare for a couple months to dry so I've got time to have product shipped if I want.