Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2020, 12:43   #16

Boat: GibSea 472
Re: How many barrier coats?

In my case, since my hull is sandwich cored, I applyed 7 coats of interprotect 2000E on the gelcoat. The last coat was sanded smooth so maybe 6 coats were actualy left on the hull. Never had any problem. Compared to the hassle and the cost to prepare the bottom, the cost of a few more coats is insignfiant, and quite a peace of mind for the years to come and for the eventual selling of the boat.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 13:00   #17

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

When we did our Bottom job we applied five coats of the interlux product, that was five years ago, the instruction said five coats so that’s what we did. If your gonna do it, do it the way the manufacturer says to do it, so you don’t get bit on the backside later. Watch the yard guys like a hawk, be there everyday to make sure they do it correctly.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 15:01   #18

Boat: Seafarer36c

As long as the hull is going to be dry, so bare and fair, coat it with epoxy resin before you paint it. It's a much better surface for paint on bare glass and on glass that has blister problems too. Well worth the couple gal of resin it would take. Paid labor wise, (are you doing anything?), it would be another days worth.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 18:13   #19

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Good idea to allow hull to dry or will trap moisture in hull. If moisture meter readings still high - 5 or less is best on my moisture meter (trying to remember name). Regular steam cleaning best to wash off salts as they emerge & promote more drying. Good luck.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 18:14   #20

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Tramex Skipper Plus.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 23:22   #21

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Hi all, my boat is on the hard for osmosis treatment. The hull was sandblasted to bare fiberglass. The quote from the yard was for two coats of interlux 2000e. Talking with a couple people who have been through the same they went with 4-5 coats.

I did a barrier coat search here and most threads were more about life expectancy, so how many coats?

Thanks
For a boat with your history, I would want 5 decent coats, then 4-5 coats of Coppercoat, and that's the last time you should need to see a sanding or a blasting machine.

Some have the gel-coat re-applied. Not a bad idea either. If the yard is only suggesting two coats, I would be concerned.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote