Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2017, 03:56   #1

Boat: Valiant 40
Fastners: Best drive type?

Having stripped the deck of virtually every piece of hardware, and needing to order new fasteners to reinstall them, I'm faced with the question of what drive type to use.

Phillips are evil, particularly in stainless. They were designed for automation, and to cam out when a specified torque was reached. With stainless, if you're not very careful or you're unlucky, "cam out" is a euphemism for "strip".

Granted, a good majority of the fasteners going back in won't need to be touched for a couple of dozen more years, but might as well use the best option while I'm at it.

I'm a big fan of Robertson, and while I have not checked yet I suspect that availability might be limited across various fastener types in stainless. Downside is that you better have the right Robertson bit/driver or you're screwed, or not screwed, or not unscrewed, as the case may be. You can get a Phillips head screwdriver anywhere.

What say you? If you've been down this path, what did you do and where did you get your fasteners? I'll likely start with McMaster Carr. While I know there are other sources of fasteners online that are significantly less expensive, I really don't want to put down 400+ odd bolts and screws only to discover that I ended up with substandard product.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote