Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2023, 17:06   #16

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago
Re: Cushion foam source

https://www.mousseglm.ca/en/#1526913...-7e6957b7-97f1

They are in Laval.

An on-line source in Canada of foam and marine fabrics.
As usual a much lighter version of the US stuff.

https://jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/

Being in Ontario and probably not having a business presence in Quebec might not charge the 10% provincial penalty.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:47   #17

Ditto on foambymail.com - we used them to assemble mattresses for the V-berth and aft cabins with a mix of density and thickness per their suggestions. We used latex over foam. Latex does not get hot like memory foam does - but it is stiffer.

For cockpit cushions and such, Sailrite will send you a box of sample foams for about $20 - really helped us understand and feel the differences before buying foam for the cockpit and salon cushions.
Sailbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:45   #18

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Sailrite has excellent information on foam and videos on making & covering cushions. I get my foam from thefoamfactory.com.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:07   #19
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
Sailrite has excellent information on foam and videos on making & covering cushions. I get my foam from thefoamfactory.com.
I believe Sailrite and Rochford sell foam sample boxes (at least Rochford used to).

Imo, it's worth having the drifast foam for things like cockpit cushions, which might get wet.

Incidentally wrapping foam in silk film doesn't seal it against moisture. It may make it less likely to absorb water directly but it will eventually absorb moisture from the air. Usually the film is used with a vacuum to get difficult cushion shapes into cushion covers.
SuW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:32   #20

Boat: Larson 250 Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I bought mine at Jo Anne's Fabrics.

I shrink wrapped them for additional moisture resistance.

That is, look for "Cushion Wrap Silk" for getting the new foam in the covers and moisture resistance afterward.
GopherBaroque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:45   #21

Boat: 1974 Olympic Adventure Ketch

I went a different route. We went to Ikea and sat on all of their beds and chose a mattress that would work well for sitting in the salon, and would also serve well if we wanted to sleep in that cabin while underway. I bought two of those and cut my own foam from templates I made. We saved a ton of money that way because foam is very expensive. We had a bigger project than simply replacing the foam, but we are very happy with the results. If you are also replacing a sleeping mattress, I made ours from 100% natural latex toppers from SleepOnLatex.com. I have ordered their products many times. They also have really good customer service.
MWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:55   #22

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I was in Iowa shopping on Sunday, so I bought foam at JoAnne's Fabrics. Pretty pricey, but convenient. Next stop was Walmart where I bought a electric carving knife on sale for $12.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 09:36   #23

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

We redid our berth cushions with 8" multiple density "memory foam" mattresses from a nearby big-box store. Paper templates made to fit by taping smaller pieces to follow the curves. To measure the slope of the sides of the hull, set a combination square vertically and measure over to the hull at the thickness of the foam. Do this every foot or so and mark the template with the measurement. You now have an accurate top and bottom pattern. Cut the foam with an electric carving knife - useless for roast-beef but readily available at your local Goodwill store for $2.

The price is way cheaper than upholstery shop foam, and since this foam is available in sizes from twin to king, no gluing needed. The resulting mattress is the best creature comfort improvement we have made. We used 4" for the settees.

After 5 years we are still smiling.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 10:25   #24

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26

I ordered from FoamOrder.com
Seemed to be the best value per dollar spent.
They will send two pre-cut pieces for the Vberth which should slip right into the existing upholstery. E Z.
If needed, I will add a 1 or 2 " piece of latex mattress topper right over it all.
I am confident this will work out.
Thanks for all the tips. I especially liked the idea of buying a discount foam mattress and cutting it to size!
Cheers, Rol1964.
Rol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 11:21   #25

Boat: O'Day 40

We ordered varying density foams to make our mattress and cushions both online and locally in BC. The online were a better price but didn't stand up to full time use. The locally sourced foams are Canadian made and are a lot more durable.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:16   #26

Boat: Alberg 37

JT's in Barrie Ontario has been great to deal with. Fastest shipping I've ever seen. You can phone them and an actual person will answer your questions. they have a website under JT's Fabrics.
Morris Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 10:05   #27

Boat: Sceptre 41

Note that OP has done their order:

from an online shop in the USA.

Perhaps when all is done, OP might report back how it all worked out.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 19:09   #28

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

I have been very happy with Foam factory.
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 16:55   #29

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol1964 View Post
I ordered from FoamOrder.com

Seemed to be the best value per dollar spent.

They will send two pre-cut pieces for the Vberth which should slip right into the existing upholstery. E Z.

If needed, I will add a 1 or 2 " piece of latex mattress topper right over it all.

I am confident this will work out.

Thanks for all the tips. I especially liked the idea of buying a discount foam mattress and cutting it to size!

Cheers, Rol1964.

+1 FoamOrder.com

Ordered 4” firm latex for sitting and 4” medium firm latex for sleeping with Sunbrella covers and added 2” memory foam off Amazon for v-berth topper.

It’s also cheaper and easier to replace the topper as needed.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote