Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2021, 14:37   #1

Compression post / deck Red Flag? (83' Hunter 36)

Hi all!
Long time listener, fire time caller!
I'm on the hunt for my first "significant" boat purchase and found one the fits pretty much every spec I've been looking for, a 1983 hunter 36.

On my inspection I saw one big potential issue, but don't know enough from a structural analysis standpoint to know what's going on here.

It looks like there might be deck sag, but the compression post appears to be pushing UP rather than collapsing as I know can happen.

My next step I plan to contract a pre-purchase survey, but wondering if there are any experienced readers who know enough about this symptom to say its a go/no go for even a survey (and it's expense).

Photos attached and thank you all for any insights!

DK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210624_133928_HDR.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	240977   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210624_133916_HDR.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	240978  

Name:	20210624_133900_HDR.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	240979  
DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 17:13   #2

Re: Compression post / deck Red Flag? (83' Hunter 36)

Wanted to add one more pic b/c I may be starting to identify the issue. Is this deck sag due to rotten deck and the post is effectively "circus tenting" the deck up around the mast step / compression post?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210624_133546_HDR-01.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	240985  
Old 24-06-2021, 17:22   #3

Boat: Spindrift 43

That’s not an insignificant issue. It could be (probable given its age) that compromised core is playing some role there. It could also be a rigging tension issue. Likely a combination of the two.

I guess it really depends on what kind of deal you’re getting and what your intended use for it is. If it’s a really great deal, meets all your other needs, and is going to spend its days as a light day sailor/ occasional overnight anchor deal in inland and coastal waters, it could be okay. But if you envision long term ownership and overnight/offshore/distance sailing, expect a meaningful investment being necessary to address that.

If there are similar cracks on top of the deck, water intrusion is ongoing and the deck compromise will continue to spread. It won’t sink the boat, and it would be fine puttering about in a bay for day sails, but it’s a high 4-figure expense (if not in the 10s of thousands).
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 19:40   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
Wanted to add one more pic b/c I may be starting to identify the issue. Is this deck sag due to rotten deck and the post is effectively "circus tenting" the deck up around the mast step / compression post?
Yes ! You are correct. That will get dramatically worse if you sail the boat often and will cost a small fortune to repair. If you attempt repair it will also cost you an entire season of sailing. Do not buy.

A few links to help you in your search.
Moisture Meter Mythology
Marine Survey 101
Balsa Core = Compost
Old 24-06-2021, 20:25   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have/had a similar failure on my WS28. There is a "heel" under the sole that extends to the hull/keel area. First problem is the factory used Red Oak rather than White Oak. It was hastily crafted out of 2 vertical pieces and since the hull is an irregular shape and the sole flat, it was cut "close enough" and jammed in under the sole and a few pieces of glass cloth and resin. I built an upper and lower White Oak shoe and placed them in with epoxy shmoo. then made a series of verticals and epoxied them in. Now there were no voids. Then I used 1708 and faired the whole thing in. Like you, it left me with a few cracks to repair.

This type of failure is not uncommon. I'm looking at an Allied Princess 36 that has the same thing going on. When ever I see a door to the head sticking because of misalignment, the heel is usually the cause.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mast heel1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	240988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast heel2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	240989  

Name:	Mast heel3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	240990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast step shoe.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	240991  

Name:	New Mast Heel.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	240992  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 20:42   #6

Yea. That looks bad.

Think of the forces going on when sailing. The mast force is straight down. The shrouds are pulling up - squeezing the the hull in towards the mast - a bit like a bow and arrow. The deck and it's cross structure is there to keep the hull from coming in - but a weak deck or cross beam will allow the deck to bow, sag, or buckle.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 21:54   #7

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

walk away, unless the price is cheap enough to justify the repair AND you like having your boat torn to pieces for a couple of months

cheers,
Old 25-06-2021, 00:14   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

My mistake...I was seeing things upside down I guess. My issue was with the sole to hull support...not the deck. A pain repair never the less.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 09:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
That’s not an insignificant issue. It could be (probable given its age) that compromised core is playing some role there. It could also be a rigging tension issue. Likely a combination of the two.

I guess it really depends on what kind of deal you’re getting and what your intended use for it is. If it’s a really great deal, meets all your other needs, and is going to spend its days as a light day sailor/ occasional overnight anchor deal in inland and coastal waters, it could be okay. But if you envision long term ownership and overnight/offshore/distance sailing, expect a meaningful investment being necessary to address that.

If there are similar cracks on top of the deck, water intrusion is ongoing and the deck compromise will continue to spread. It won’t sink the boat, and it would be fine puttering about in a bay for day sails, but it’s a high 4-figure expense (if not in the 10s of thousands).
Appreciate the insight! I hadn't thought about the compound forces fof rigging pulling up (potentially bending the deck up) even as it's trying to sag down.

Thank you!
Old 25-06-2021, 09:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Yea. That looks bad.

Think of the forces going on when sailing. The mast force is straight down. The shrouds are pulling up - squeezing the the hull in towards the mast - a bit like a bow and arrow. The deck and it's cross structure is there to keep the hull from coming in - but a weak deck or cross beam will allow the deck to bow, sag, or buckle.
Same as Credence's thogught, I hadn't considered the combinaiton of forces working together-yet-separately to pull itself apart.

Many thanks!
Old 25-06-2021, 09:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Yes ! You are correct. That will get dramatically worse if you sail the boat often and will cost a small fortune to repair. If you attempt repair it will also cost you an entire season of sailing. Do not buy.

A few links to help you in your search.
Moisture Meter Mythology
Marine Survey 101
Balsa Core = Compost
LOVE those articles, and I've been pouring over them as my search continues... Thanks for the share!
Old 25-06-2021, 10:07   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

the compression load on a mast can be measured in 1,000's of pounds....so that is what you have to deal with..

I see problems....fixable ???......I dunno....why do these issues appear in the first place...obviously a problem somewhere...I'm sure this boat was listed at a good price....and I can see why.....

Yep, a survey will likely run around $1,000....keep lookin'....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 14:48   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

My guess would be a cabin top issue not the compression post. Is it cored?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 15:01   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
My guess would be a cabin top issue not the compression post. Is it cored?
Yes it is.
Old 25-06-2021, 15:11   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Yes it is.
A little water intrusion and a sag?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compression, deck, hunter