Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2021, 16:32   #1

When is it time to replace Exhaust Elbows

I have a 2006 TrawlerCat with Yanmar 4LHA-STP engines. I replaced the exhaust elbows 7 years ago and am wondering if it’s time to do it again? I had heard every 5 years but not sure if that’s really a reasonable timeframe. Also as I recall I had a heck of a time sliding it fully into the exhaust hose. I was actually concerned that I might damage the wet muffler. Does anyone have any tips to make installation easier?
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:02   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: When is it time to replace Exhaust Elbows

Do they need to be replaced? Their life span is largely hours of use, not calendar years. At the most, it would appear to me than you might inspect them, which would mean getting them loose at one end and geting a finger inside to feel whether they are eroded, but I'd only do that if past experience gave me reason to be concerned.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:34   #3

I appreciate your response. The water circulates around the outside. So if the dry exhaust portion looks good everything is ok? I am also concerned about corrosion in the water passages and don’t know how to evaluate that.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:54   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

We have a single 4LH but it’s turbo aftercooled. We changed to a stainless mixer years ago. We also have a gas water separator so there is very little back pressure on the turbo. The first turbo rusted so we had a professional shop CeraKote the exterior and the hot side interior. Check with the turbo maker but usually there is more than sufficient vane tip clearance. Just the hot side.
DeAngelo Marine Exhause Ft Laud.
Excellent work from true experts. They have the experience and are well worth talking to about your application.
We are adding a cooling water flow detector. I wish there was something for detecting turbo oil flow problems and internal leaks in the transmission cooler.
If any fellow members have suggestions, I’m sure everyone will appreciate them.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew still working on the turbo waste heat / beer fermentation tank ...part of their onboard micro brewery.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:02   #5

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Buy the exhaust elbow but do not install it. Keep it as spare on your boat. When the need for replacement comes, use the spare. Be it mid ocean, in the marina or the South Pole, you are covered. Replacing an exhaust elbow is not rocket-science.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:11   #6

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

My old Volvo elbow needed attention every 2-3 years, my stainless Beta elbow has been untouched for 8 years and 4000 hours. Used to take Volvo elbow to radiator shop to clean it and replaced every other time. How is your engine temperature doing, that’s how I knew it was time.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:22   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

I think they should be checked or replaced at around 600 hours. Check out the new stainless steel versions.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:31   #8

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
I think they should be checked or replaced at around 600 hours. Check out the new stainless steel versions.
I second the stainless steel elbow replacement. You should only have to do it once. My PO had custom stainless mixing elbows made. That was 20 years ago. Love him for that.
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:27   #9

I’m all for having spares I love the idea of not actually replacing them right now. How do you know when they go bad? And if the water gets into the exhaust can’t it get into the engine and do a lot of damage? Perhaps I’m being a bit too cautious I tend to be a little fanatic when it comes to maintenance but it seems like whenever I try to take a shortcut I get burned
Old 04-07-2021, 11:54   #10

I bought a SS exhaust elbow for my 2012 Ranger tug R21EC. Diesel has a bit over 300 hrs. Diesel mechanic mechanic said just keep it as a spare because the original on the Yanmar 30M was fine. I had a 98 R21 20m and did change that one. It had never been changed and needed it but not desperately. I changed it when I bought the boat in 2011 so it was in there for 13? years.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 14:43   #11

Boat: Hunter 420 Passage

I live by the Engine check routine, thanks to Capitan Mary and Capt Skip. Engine checks! Get into the habit! Before starting the Engine Check, after the Engine has been running, and then whenever you are down below, and a little voice says is everything OK? Check! This whole diatribe is if you are in the habit of looking at the Engine you might catch something. I have!!
Happy Independence Day
Windcall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elbow, exhaust