Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2021, 14:21   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Compression post / deck Red Flag? (83' Hunter 36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Cut a nice rectangle out of it. Put the new post on the deck underside as it should be. At least viewing from afar...
and ..... Tear out all the damaged beam and re-laminate and gelcoat and then cut the topskin off the cabin trunk, tear out the rotted cored then re-core then re-glass and re-gelcoat. That broken beam transfers rig load to hull sides. Patching it is not an option.
Old 28-06-2021, 05:56   #32

Boat: Catalina 30

Last year when I was boat shopping I looked at a Hunter. The mast rigging (shrouds) were VERY loose (sloppy). The owner said "this is normal" (yeah right). There were compression cracks all around the mast in the main deck. This boat also had TONS of stress cracks all over the place. Like it had rolled down a hill or something.. I walked away.

Compression post issues are a problem with some Hunters (like the one I looked at) as the compression post is made of wood, it is located adjacent to the shower and it is hidden from view by wooden interior trim pieces. It can rot without you knowing.

Hunters are very appealing to buyers as you get "a lot of boat" for the money, but I didn't care for them.

They are difficult to work on (very tight spaces), they mold in their tanks like the waste holding tank (which makes it impossible to replace) and there are not a lot of replacement parts in the after market. The positive is you get very nice interiors and a Yanmar engine.

I settled for an old Catalina semi-project boat. Better build quality than the Hunters and easy to get parts. Lots of user info on forums as well.

Cheers.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:57   #33

Your first boat won't be prefect. Some of what you thought you needed, you will find that you don't, and some things that you never thought of, will become vital.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:52   #34

Walk away- I work for a rigging company & nobody is gonna climb that mast!
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:19   #35

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
Hi all!
Long time listener, fire time caller!
I'm on the hunt for my first "significant" boat purchase and found one the fits pretty much every spec I've been looking for, a 1983 hunter 36.

On my inspection I saw one big potential issue, but don't know enough from a structural analysis standpoint to know what's going on here.

It looks like there might be deck sag, but the compression post appears to be pushing UP rather than collapsing as I know can happen.

My next step I plan to contract a pre-purchase survey, but wondering if there are any experienced readers who know enough about this symptom to say its a go/no go for even a survey (and it's expense).

Photos attached and thank you all for any insights!

DK
I have a 83 Dickerson. Over the yrs the cabin top area where the mast steps delamed and started to compress resulting in a similar issue and actually putting a curve into the Bronze compression post.

A local yard ended up cutting the interior ceiling around 1 foot square and placed a full 1 inch of solid fiberglass in. I think the cost was about 1K US Havent had an issue since.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:43   #36

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch

It depends on how handy you are, the purchase price and how much time you have.

No need to haul the boat out for the mast/deck repair. Just pull the mast while in the water (you don't even have to have a crane for a boat that size). That sorta depends are where the boat is kept because most marinas won't allow repairs being done in the slip.

If this is a simple matter of a rotten post and compressed deck, the repair could be better than the original build. I would cut that deck out (about 12" in every direction) and rebuild it after inserting a new S/S post. No way does it need to be 4" on a 36' Hunter.

Anyway, the bigger issue may be, was that vessel run hard aground? If you're lucky, that damage is from over tensioning the rigging and wood rot. However, if that boat was run hard aground, the damage could be from the opposite stress.

You might want to check the bulkhead to hull attachments for cracks. Also, check the keel attachments.

If the price is right, it could actually be a fun project (depending on your skillset).
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:01   #37

I wouldn’t want my first significant boat to be a nightmare. Don’t even spend the money on a survey. Run away! Keep looking. Still lots of boats out there.
Good luck and enjoy the process of boat shopping.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:44   #38
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
It depends on how handy you are, the purchase price and how much time you have.

No need to haul the boat out for the mast/deck repair. Just pull the mast while in the water (you don't even have to have a crane for a boat that size). ...
Um...sorry you lost me there.

Perhaps I'm wrong but a deck-stepped mast on a 36 foot boat is too big to take down without some kind of crane, surely?

Especially one that is new to the owner, and probably has fittings of dubious safety.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:53   #39

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Um...sorry you lost me there.

Perhaps I'm wrong but a deck-stepped mast on a 36 foot boat is too big to take down without some kind of crane, surely?

Especially one that is new to the owner, and probably has fittings of dubious safety.
Another vote for run don't walk.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:01   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
RUN like Lion's chasing you!!

Please keep us informed of your next Find of a boat you just can't resist, we'd love to give you more opinions and other info.

Apollo Wayne
Thanks so much, Apollo! The hunt continues... while watching my back for lions
DamoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:09   #41

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch

My first boat (1983) was a Columbia 36 and I lowered the mast myself with my wife as a helper, 3-days after I bought it. It really isn't a big deal. I won't go into all of the details but I lowered mine with a turning block to a jib winch attached to the backstay. I tied a line to the lower end of the backstay and loosened my rear shrouds. As the mast leaned forward, I put a couple of 12' long 2x4s (like an "X" at the top) to support the mast. As it got lower I had a tall stand that I built for the mast to pivot on. The mast was light enough for me to lift by myself and move the lower end aft.

I later did the same thing on my 45' Passport ketch. That had wooden masts and I was afraid of the weight but that was easier than my Columbia 36. (which incidentally I sailed each of those boats around the world).

I also bought a hydraulic swage and built my own rigging. On my Passport, I designed and built my own chainplates in New Zealand.

It's all a matter of not knowing what you can't do.......
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 14:04   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
My first boat (1983) was a Columbia 36 and I lowered the mast myself with my wife as a helper, 3-days after I bought it. It really isn't a big deal. I won't go into all of the details but I lowered mine with a turning block to a jib winch attached to the backstay. I tied a line to the lower end of the backstay and loosened my rear shrouds. As the mast leaned forward, I put a couple of 12' long 2x4s (like an "X" at the top) to support the mast. As it got lower I had a tall stand that I built for the mast to pivot on. The mast was light enough for me to lift by myself and move the lower end aft.

I later did the same thing on my 45' Passport ketch. That had wooden masts and I was afraid of the weight but that was easier than my Columbia 36. (which incidentally I sailed each of those boats around the world).

I also bought a hydraulic swage and built my own rigging. On my Passport, I designed and built my own chainplates in New Zealand.

It's all a matter of not knowing what you can't do.......
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 14:12   #43

Regarding the purchase, it would be either a brave person or a fool like me who would buy this boat.

Regarding the damage. If rigging loads are the cause there should be evidence of this at the point where the deck is joined to the hull, or where the shrouds attach. If it occurred due to a keel strike then there should be evidence on the keel (repair work included) or where the keel joins the hull. Otherwise the deck itself has failed which would indicate there were problems with the original build. The last of these is the most serious.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 15:09   #44

Love the mostly adamant responses here. I'm mechanically capable, and am def' emotionally of the "oh, let's just fix the thing" but realizing that's def not how I want to restart boat ownership and start this phase of its rebirth. It's a pass, and thanks to all for the experienced eyes.
DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 15:10   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by john manning View Post
Regarding the purchase, it would be either a brave person or a fool like me who would buy this boat.

Regarding the damage. If rigging loads are the cause there should be evidence of this at the point where the deck is joined to the hull, or where the shrouds attach. If it occurred due to a keel strike then there should be evidence on the keel (repair work included) or where the keel joins the hull. Otherwise the deck itself has failed which would indicate there were problems with the original build. The last of these is the most serious.
Unfortunately she was in the water and so I'd have to haul her to see. Thinking it's not worth it...
DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compression, deck, hunter