Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2020, 02:50   #16

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: Beneteau rebuild turning into a nightmare

Whinging about yard delays, the yard needing the travelift free, and that they "lost a day". Give me strength.

Yet another young entitled YT couple doing in-cockpit interviews, "oh we have so much editing", and "it was a three day process to do a 2 hour keel drop". Methinks they're in for a LOT more pain before finishing this boat.

How on earth they got 88k views in two days is beyond me, but that'll definitely be another channel to not bother watching.

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 05:02   #17

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Whinging about yard delays, the yard needing the travelift free, and that they "lost a day". Give me strength.

Yet another young entitled YT couple doing in-cockpit interviews, "oh we have so much editing", and "it was a three day process to do a 2 hour keel drop". Methinks they're in for a LOT more pain before finishing this boat.

How on earth they got 88k views in two days is beyond me, but that'll definitely be another channel to not bother watching.

n

It’ll be interesting when they finally get the yard bill. I guess this is all part of the right of passage in boat ownership. I’m sure I had similar expectations with my first haul out, but 17 years of experience have made their expectations almost unrelatable for me today. (As much as I’d love to live in a world where I’d be able to maintain a plan and manage daily yard activities for a haul out).

It’s also pretty interesting watching them dissect their Beneteau. When I had my 393 I did a lot of research into the construction methods and it’s really interesting seeing how the adhesive bonding they use to join the tray and hull hold up (and respond to a significant grounding).

I’ll give them plenty of respect for their willingness to tackle a project like this as thoroughly as they seem to intend to. I hope they’re able to right all of the issues they’re exposing (and creating).

It’s making for interesting viewing. I suspect this will be a multi-month endeavor at the very least.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 05:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
It’ll be interesting when they finally get the yard bill. I guess this is all part of the right of passage in boat ownership. I’m sure I had similar expectations with my first haul out, but 17 years of experience have made their expectations almost unrelatable for me today. (As much as I’d love to live in a world where I’d be able to maintain a plan and manage daily yard activities for a haul out).

It’s also pretty interesting watching them dissect their Beneteau. When I had my 393 I did a lot of research into the construction methods and it’s really interesting seeing how the adhesive bonding they use to join the tray and hull hold up (and respond to a significant grounding).

I’ll give them plenty of respect for their willingness to tackle a project like this as thoroughly as they seem to intend to. I hope they’re able to right all of the issues they’re exposing (and creating).

It’s making for interesting viewing. I suspect this will be a multi-month endeavor at the very least.
The grind of living in a boatyard and working their a*ses off I can relate to - it sucks, and their willingness is admirable.

What grates me though (and a lot of recent millenial YT channels are like this), is their complaining when things don’t go to plan, or the yard has other things to do, or - and I’m sure it’s going to happen - their outrage when they finally get the yard bill.

Owning a big boat ain’t cheap and if you go the cheap route of rebuilding a big boat, you’ve either got to trade hours or dollars to get to the final product. I guess we all have to learn the hard way... bitching and bleating on YT though just makes for a painful watch.

N
Old 26-10-2020, 05:42   #19
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post

looks like they bought a 49 foot boat sight unseen with no survey? the keel dropped off when they hauled it? next stop: go fund me page since we are now bankrupt. so where did the cute couple get their money in the first place
Old 26-10-2020, 06:07   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I thought this might be a unique modification to permit maneuvers in shallow water like on a scooter or skate board.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 06:40   #21

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I found the 45 minute video on fiberglass work very informative. The guy doing the work was like a professor of fiberglass. He went through the various mats and resins and their recommended purposes and strengths. Most note worthy was how he used scraps and old tools and such and not making a messy job of it.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 06:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
I heard they paid 68k for it, and I think sight unseen.
They have said that they had it "inspected". They have also said, numerous times, that there was a lot more damage than the inspector found and that interim repairs covered up more extensive damage.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 07:23   #23

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

If they want my 'views' they do.

Which is exactly what they do want, as evidenced by their Patreon link, and I assume moneytized utube account (my ignorant, grumpy old man status doesn't allow me to feed the ethically corrupt advertising scheme that supports these mostly information-free 'productions').

Or are you suggesting everyone 'pay' to see how not to do something?

Guess in 'this era', constructive, true criticism is valued about as much as you're offended by it.

Won't ask for any 'favors' from you...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 07:23   #24

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I do agree with some people - it would be nice to have them show less talking into the camera and more on the aspect of the area they are working in.

That said, none of you know what their background is. None of you know if they have glassed before or repaired before. They have worked with beneteau to get plans and designs, they can easily acquire laminate schedules from the yard to find out what was original. In most cases it is repairable, though maybe not cost effective for paying labor but we'll worth the experience they will gain. They are smart, they can do it given they don't burn out. I think YT will help prevent them from giving up as well.

Yes, I agree I wouldn't have bought a beneteau for salvage and rebuild it, nor would I buy it new. I would have gone with a one off that does not have a pan to add rigidity to the hull and I wouldn't have gone that big - oh wait, that's exactly what I did.

Some of you are shitting on this couple for no reason. As the previous poster from me said, they owe you nothing. You are not being forced to watch their channel and videos.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 07:44   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Some of you are shitting on this couple for no reason. As the previous poster from me said, they owe you nothing. You are not being forced to watch their channel and videos.
No-one’s shitting on the couple - a link was posted, some people have good feedback, some have realistic and not so positive feedback, and everyone’s provided reasoning for their feedback. If anyone is going to post a video on a public forum, they have to expect both.

N
Old 26-10-2020, 07:54   #26

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Only watched 1 vid where they removed the keel, but it looks like they will do a good job when they do their repairs.

Lesson learned here, is always personally inspect the boat before you buy. Many attempt to buy boats long distance for cheap w/o ever seeing the boat and eventually find more things wrong/damage that wasn't disclosed. While IMO it is wrong to not disclose damage/accidents, it happens more often than one would think.

Didn't watch all the videos to find out if they knew before they purchased the boat that it had taken such a hard grounding. Not bashing Benes here, but did look at a 57 (about the same year) and while solid fiberglass the layup seemed relatively thin. The 57 is a Farr design and since there was no mention of the hull thickness on the bene site, contacted the Farr group to find out about the hull layup. It's been a while, but on memory want to say the hull thickness near the keel was ~14mm (they thought that was substantial). IMO this isn't that thick and even with the grid pan in place, if the boat took a hard grounding it could be a problem.

Not certain this was the only issue for the Evans boat, but looking for a hard grounding on a Bene (or any other boat w/a grid plate/stiffener) would be one of the first things I would look for during an initial inspection.

Agree w/another poster that using a wire to cut through the 5200 (or use solvent) would be much better than using a sawzall to cut away the 5200. While it may be just coincidental, but from the vid it looks like the area they hit w/the sawzall was the same area that ripped out the fiberglass. Most likely the f/g was cut w/the saw, weakening the area and causing the f/g to rip out.

It will be some work, but I'm sure they will get the keel area fixed up and keep going.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 09:17   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Agree w/another poster that using a wire to cut through the 5200 (or use solvent) ...
Last I heard, there are no know solvents that work on 5200 !
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 09:34   #28

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
looks like they bought a 49 foot boat sight unseen with no survey? the keel dropped off when they hauled it? next stop: go fund me page since we are now bankrupt. so where did the cute couple get their money in the first place
YouTube eyeballs and possibly Patreon?

I forget where I heard it, but from recollection the Winns make like $40k/month from their channel. Sailing Fair Isle has way less subscribers and they still could afford to stop doing outside work other than YT.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 09:48   #29

Boat: Beneteau Idyll 37
Send a message via Skype™ to ernie_m

Did they Give up. I thought in the video she was trying to tell the yard crew to wait and that she was going to do more cutting but they blew her off.
ernie_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 09:57   #30

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
Last I heard, there are no know solvents that work on 5200 !

Actually not true, there are several that can be used. https://www.boatingmag.com/marine-so...removing-5200/
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, rebuild