Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2020, 10:00   #31
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44
Re: Beneteau rebuild turning into a nightmare

almost certainly 5200. Some years ago we saw some weeping at the keel joint on our Lafitte 44. With all the bolts loosened the boat was hoisted expecting the 11,000 pounds of lead keel to drop. Even with lots of encouragement with wedges, chisels etc ended up cutting through the 5200 with a Sawzall. you may hate 5200 in certain applications ( I do ) but it is a seriously strong adhesive.
Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 10:09   #32

Boat: "Imaginary Steel 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
wow, hold your horses...

I've done such work in my 20's, on a damaged Dufor that I sold few weeks after completing the repair at 5X the price I paid... (yet, I would never do this again... )

I know the story; these guys are way smarter than what some of us may think, although inexperienced. They studied the situation really well, got all the builder's structural files, consulted with real experts and so far did the right work that most people will never do -
... like the original owner that just gave it to a "pro trade" boat "repairs" person that cheated him all the way by smearing some epoxy and covering the cracks with gelcoat.

This is actually a great promo for 3M 5200...

They will repair the hull and make it way stronger than the original and end up with a good boat for about 50% of the cost plus their work and video story production.

We can all learn something good from them: They have the naïve passion, spirit and determination to do the im(possible). Their young age and inexperience are in fact their bigger advantages. They are willing to take risks other may never take - and because of that will also gain big time.

Give them your thumbs up!
I've been watching them, and my money is on them succeeding. They are together on this and even though this is turning out to be more than expected, they are prepared. I wish them all things good. They will emerge stronger.
fxarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 10:24   #33

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxarcher View Post
I've been watching them, and my money is on them succeeding. They are together on this and even though this is turning out to be more than expected, they are prepared. I wish them all things good. They will emerge stronger.
+1 on that!!! and me too! we want to see more sailors like this couple around us.

My only concern is how eventually they'll get rid of the gelcoat and glass dust all over and in impossible to reach spots... Mist jet steam spray could work somehow.

Trust them to find the right way - just more determined work and innovation which are among their strong assets.
Old 26-10-2020, 10:37   #34

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Seems like the view they are selling matches the formula of 90% face-shots of inane banter and personal angst. It works though.

I'm going to send them some of my own money once I get paid. They have a tough road ahead.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 10:52   #35

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxarcher View Post
Agree! A little background from watching the videos, he is a pilot instructor so I think he has a clear understanding of complex systems and structures. While a boat is not an airplane I do not see them as a typical YT couple that is un-prepaired. They just have to learn a new set of skills using different materials. They have been very methodical in their approach. They said there was damage they knew about and more damage they might find which has turned out to be true but all was part of their consideration when buying the boat. They complained about the yard taking over the keel removal and ultimately causing the additional damage. Good for them for continuing to explore and address every bit of damage thay can find. The boat was repaired badly before and I'll bet that was done at a boatyard so for all of their inexperience I commend them for really digging into it, they are already doinng a better job than the prior repair. I too worry about the dust. During grinding dust got so thick they couldn't even film. I suspect they will find dust for years to come.

Good luck to them!
Clayfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 10:54   #36

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I watched the show. I think the yard guys, who expected a whole day and only took 2 hours to drop the keel, should have known / seen that the kids didn't get the saw through all the 5200. The yard guys should have taken the time to ensure the bond was cut. This hole did not make anything easier on the kids who are busting their a$$ to fix this boat.

To the haters... These kids used to have a small sailboat and want to live aboard. He's an airline pilot with decent mechanical aptitude, not a dope. They didn't have the money to buy a larger boat, but had time to fix one. I applaud their bravado to spend their life savings on this. They are doing a fine job at the repair. Much better than the 'professionals' that have patched it up in a dangerous, "Hide the issues", unethical way.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 11:17   #37

Boat: 1980 Bristol 35.5

I just started watching their videos. Apparently they bid on a boat, sight unseen, that they knew had suffered keel damage when it was run aground. The broker LED them to believe that there were two other bidders bidding against them, presumably all three of them bidding on a boat that hadn't even been surveyed. I wonder if that broker was playing them.
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:06   #38

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

We can all learn something good from them: They have the naïve passion, spirit and determination to do the im(possible). Their young age and inexperience are in fact their bigger advantages. They are willing to take risks other may never take - and because of that will also gain big time.

Give them your thumbs up![/QUOTE]

I have been watching this closely also. In fact I became Patreon number 61. I think they got the boat at auction and it is a salvage vessel. My concern is will they be able to get it insured when they are finished. It seems to me they are well researched and doing the repairs better than stock and the boat will be stronger than factory when they are done. So yes, I give you and them a thumbs up!!
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:39   #39

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post

Give them your thumbs up!
I have been watching this closely also. In fact I became Patreon number 61. I think they got the boat at auction and it is a salvage vessel. My concern is will they be able to get it insured when they are finished. It seems to me they are well researched and doing the repairs better than stock and the boat will be stronger than factory when they are done. So yes, I give you and them a thumbs up!![/QUOTE]

The boat was not declared totaled, so no problem. It will be well repaired, the surveyor will confirm the seaworthiness and off they go...
Old 26-10-2020, 13:46   #40

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

I watched acouple of episodes to get to the keel drop. In one of them Salvage.com came up in one of their videos. This company sells damaged boats throughout the country. I bid on a hurricane salvaged Sabre, late 1990's model, in hi-30 foot range. This was about 6-7 yrs ago when we on the east coast of the USA got slammed by hurricanes. I saw the boat on the hard, on an abandoned airport grounds in New Jersey. No survey involved as the boats are listed and a few days after they go up for bid. You register with the company, note what boat you are interested in and they let you know the date of the auction that has to include a minimum of, I recall 4 parties. They called me and told me the current bid. I increased the bid or quit...this went on over the course of about 1/2 a day. I received three calls and stopped bidding at $11,000. I was told the boat sold for $17,000+...then you pay up and have 2 days to move her! So boat is AS IS. I wish them luck and good fiberglassing..
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 15:27   #41

Boat: Hunter 26.5

Do I not remember a Beneteau 40 some odd footer sailing from the Caribbean to England, lost its keel, lost 4 crew, was last pictured belly up in the mid Atlantic with holes in the hull where the keel once was some 3/4 years ago?????
Ron
Chaos One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 16:18   #42

I agree some of these replies are borderline I feel bad reading. And I'm not even them.
samfreeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 18:00   #43

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Well --- for all you 'lovers' who are so eager to part with your money, perhaps you can relay some information.

I've watched the relevant parts of their videos (before making my first comment) and they've done very little correctly so far, at least as regards repairs.

All the dust-making they've done has nothing to do with what a proper repair will be; virtually all of that portion should have been done outside, after the grid was removed to give complete access to the inner skin of the hull, which has to be evaluated and then feathered (or scarfed, if you prefer) and built up to completely encapsulate the damaged area. This has to be done on the outside as well.

Depending on the rigidity of the hull, and the extent of the actual damage, it may be necessary to build a form on the outside to hold the shape of the hull when the grid is removed (now that they're ripped a hole in the hull this is even more likely to be the case) so that they can repair the inner skin, and then refit the grid and reglass it into place (though, depending on the damage, if might be better to build a new grid out of structural polyurethane foam and glass that in instead).

Once that is done, they can remove the external form and similarly grind and glass the outside.

To repeat, that damage cannot be propery repaired without removing the grid.

From what I can see they really, really need to get someone who can give them some guidance, or they're just going to waste a lot of y'all's well-earned money...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 18:57   #44

Boat: 44ft mono hull

After wandering around insta or Facebook after the first episode came out I understand that they are six months behind, as in this footage was shot six months ago, so assume they are well ahead in the work. I just hope at the time they had someone pointing them in the right direction.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 20:20   #45

Chaos One was trying to remember the case of the Cheeki Rafiki. A Beni First 40.7 that was lost with all hands (a four man professional crew) in 2014 when the keel fell off.

The official British MAIB accident report should not be read just before going to bed.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ort_8_2015.pdf
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, rebuild