Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2021, 22:32   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Yanmar Raw Water Pump Questions

Apologies for the phrase "water pump">raw water pump" in the first line in the above post. When I hit the Edit button the prose that came up was correct and it couldn't be edited
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 23:01   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW:

With so few hours on the pump I'd be surprised if the cam was so badly worn, and in reality it's height isn't too critical. For issues with priming I have found that scoring or wear on the cover plate or the wear plate at the back of the chamber were usually the culprit(s). If you have not yet reversed t he cover plate that is an option and the inside wear plate is a normal replacement part. Those are where I would start my investigation.

Jim
Old 24-11-2021, 23:12   #18

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I don’t know your specific set up however on my boat the pump is just above the water line so when the boat is in the water the pump can prime itself easily and pump water. When first put in water I open the sea cock, then slightly open strainer and watch water filling it, then tighten it down…… all ready to go. When I use the bucket if I don’t make sure the bucket is high up, it has a difficult time sucking the water up…..
Good luck
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 23:51   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW:

With so few hours on the pump I'd be surprised if the cam was so badly worn, and in reality it's height isn't too critical. For issues with priming I have found that scoring or wear on the cover plate or the wear plate at the back of the chamber were usually the culprit(s). If you have not yet reversed t he cover plate that is an option and the inside wear plate is a normal replacement part. Those are where I would start my investigation.

Jim
I dunno how many hours are on the OP's pump but he has said it is 43 years old so I'm guessing there has to be more than a few (??????).

Have I missed something?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 02:13   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^

OOps! Sorry 'bout that! I have confused threads here, I fear. 43 years is pretty old, but who knows how many hours have been logged. Our original raw water pump has around 5000 hours on it, had impellers, seals, bearings and wear plates replaced, some several times, but the cam is still serviceable. I'd think that the OP's is likely ok too, and would attack the other things first... or do the complete rebuild with a kit.

Jim
Old 25-11-2021, 05:02   #21

Boat: O'Day 27 1978

I was having a problem with my pump on a Yanmar at low revs.. no water and over heating. The mechanic suggested the impeller may be the problem. I took it out it looked fine, no broken or worn blades. I changed it anyway and now the pump works perfectly.
The only difference I found was in the softness of the blades.
Curmugeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 07:13   #22

Boat: Bristol 29.9 1978

Seymore, that's a nice thought but I've checked the impeller and it's fine. You may be right that it is NOT the cam lobe, but I'll have to do a comparison to a new lobe before I know. (Does anyone know the specification for the thickness of the lobe?)

I didn't get the pump off yesterday - too cold. Sometime in the next few weeks we will probably get a fifty degree day and I'll get the job done. No point in freezng my fingers - there's lots of time before spring launch.
Homer Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 15:42   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW:

Jim
+1 for this.
I repaired a pump that had no wear plate on the back & was badly worn
by removing the gasket & substituting Loctite 518 to seal it. Gotta lube the impeller & start quickly after installing cover to make sure the Loctite doesnt stick the blades tho. I would have skimmed or filed the pump face if that didnt work.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 17:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
+1 for this.
I repaired a pump that had no wear plate on the back & was badly worn
by removing the gasket & substituting Loctite 518 to seal it. Gotta lube the impeller & start quickly after installing cover to make sure the Loctite doesnt stick the blades tho. I would have skimmed or filed the pump face if that didnt work.
You raise a good point cobber.

Some (most? / all?) of the older small single and twin cylinder Yanmar raw water pumps do not have a rear wear plate and so when the rear surface does wear (as it will), one has to get inventive in order to bring the pump back to life.

I hadn't considered using 518 as a 'filler' but maybe I should remember this technique; so far I have only ever had to remove the front gasket.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 26-11-2021, 06:22   #25

Compass 790, can you expain a bit more about using Loctite 518 as a filler for correcting wear in the back of the pump, please. I have reversed the cover. It was heavily worn on the original inside and now the "new" inside shows only slight wear after two season. I think I average about 70 hours on the engine per season. I don't know about the previous owners, but assuming they were in the same range, a SWAG at the hours on the pump would be about 3,000.
Old 26-11-2021, 08:24   #26

OK - nevermind about the 518. I re-read the post and see that you were just using it to eliminate the gasket. I thought you had used it to repair the inside facing of the housing.

I did take the gasket out last spring but it did not make a signficiant difference. I put the gasket back in once the boat was launched as I did not want to cause excessive wear on the cover plate.
Old 26-11-2021, 12:38   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Shannon View Post
OK - nevermind about the 518. I re-read the post and see that you were just using it to eliminate the gasket. I thought you had used it to repair the inside facing of the housing.

I did take the gasket out last spring but it did not make a signficiant difference. I put the gasket back in once the boat was launched as I did not want to cause excessive wear on the cover plate.
Well that surprises me that removing the gasket made no difference. The back face may be be quite worn on your pump. It was obvious on the pump i was working on. It was a Johnson pump on a Lister engine. You cannot get away from cover plate wear really AFAIK as it requires a very small clearance between both ends of the impeller.
Yes I did just use 518 to substitute for the gasket. But I'm not a full time pump rebuilder so its possible yr pump may have another problem.
Old 26-11-2021, 13:26   #28

Quote:

Opps, I misread it the same way. Now I correctly understand how the 518 used used.

Old 26-11-2021, 20:00   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Well I would go to skimming a bit off the face of the pump if the rebuild kit doesnt make any difference. Depends on how much time you want to spend on it I guess.
Old 29-11-2021, 07:01   #30

Quote:
My old Yanmar SB12 has been losing water pump suction. Although the pump works fine when the boat is in the water, the pump can no longer draw water up from a hose-filled bucket when the boat is out of the water.

I have checked the inlet, output, impeller, and pump cover. All are in good order. The engine does not overheat. I suspect my problem is a worn cam lobe. I can purchase just the lobe for about $40. For about $80 I can get a complete rebuild kit with the lobe included. Note that at this time, I am not having any other issues with the pump. Before going further, I’d like to get a bit more information about rebuilding these pumps.

First, how difficult is removing the cam lobe from the pump housing? I know it is only held in by a single machine screw, but should I anticipate that this is going to be frozen and have to be drilled out? (It looks like a stainless fastener into a bronze lobe.)

Second, is the pump above or below the normal oil level in the motor? If the motor is topped up with oil (it is), can I pull the pump off without having oil run out all over?

The answers to these two questions will help guide my decision – just a lobe or a full kit.
I would do the whole rebuild kit. I did just the impeller on my 96 Hunter 280 and the rest of the pump started leaking. Just do it right the first time.
tfay412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, raw water, raw water pump, water, water pump, yanmar