Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 14:10   #1

Boat: Catalina 270LE, 27'
Perkins M20 raw water pump questions...

The situation is I bought this vessel (1994 Catalina 270LE) a year ago and have not taken her out, but have been doing work on her to get her ready to make a run to the marina Ventura, CA for a haul out, cutlass bearing replacement and bottom paint.

In my repairs and cleaning, I discovered the water pump">raw water pump appears to be very corroded. The engine runs and has engaged at low rpms (due to the worn cutlass bearing, I do not want to risk more than the minimum needed to take it to the dock for measuring for her slip) but I would prefer to have it in the best condition possible.

I will attach some pictures and hopefully someone can tell me if they think I can refurbish this pump with the $50 rebuild kit located at : https://www.parts4engines.com/perkin...-service-kits/

or if need the $20 cover kit : https://www.parts4engines.com/perkin...end-cover-kit/

or both? or perhaps just a service kit?

Like I said, everything is running but the corrosion seems extreme.
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 21:35   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Perkins M20 raw water pump questions...

OK, can't see any picture of your pump but if you are unsure of it's internal condition, I would start with the rebuild kit.

If your cover is worn (and this will be obvious once you remove it), it can be reused for awhile until you get cover kit

or

reversed

or lapped smooth again by hand (takes some time ).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 21:52   #3

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gy...AQalrRLEH-ZT6W

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NO...eN0NU3do1T2lrw

sorry, earlier, the post was waiting for approval and I didn't realize how to include images.

EDIT: still not sure how to do images but hopefully you can follow the links until I figure it out. O.o
Old 11-05-2018, 22:01   #4

ok that should be three pictures!
Old 11-05-2018, 22:04   #5

Difficulty posting the pictures, but you should be able to see them in my album on my profile. (Sorry for the lack of tech knowledge but I tried the link and "(IMG)" method but nothing seems to be working!
Old 11-05-2018, 23:33   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

OK, I have now seen the photos. This will (should) clean up quite well, I seen way worse .

I won't bother getting the replacement cover at this stage.

You might have a job getting the cover screws out without breaking one or two but it is all repairable (IME).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 17:05   #7

Awesome, thanks! That’s a bit of a relief. I’ll be doing some research online for methods to clean it up but any recommendations are welcome.

I don’t know if I need to shut off the water to the pump somewhere before removing it (like a stop cock or valve?) or if the water is pumped into the pump. I’m a bit new to diesel/marine diesel. I’ve got Nigel Calder’s book “Marine Diesel Engines” and am working w that + Internet to get er done!
Old 12-05-2018, 18:00   #8

Boat: Adams 42

Your unit looks like normal after continued use. A quick scrub should remove the verdigris. The cover plate is reversible if excessive wear on the inside.
The 2 bearings and 2 seals are replaceable as non genuine parts from most bearing suppliers. The coiled springs on the seals may not be stainless but should do the job. I suggest you include an O ring on the drive shaft between the seals as a thrower of any leakage from the primary seal. May save the bearings when the seal starts to leak. Impellers also available as non genuine.
Grease the cover screws as you reassemble the unit. It makes the next maintenance job that much easier.
Cheers
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, raw water, raw water pump, water