Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2023, 20:28   #16

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Re: Where to dispose of old diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
In Minnesota, the county household hazardous waste drop-off centers will take it for free.
Does "free" mean I can pour it into their tank, or do they expect to keep my containers?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 21:07   #17

Boat: Tartan 3800

Beats me, I've always had some empty 5 gallon motor oil buckets or 3 gallon cat litter jugs handy when I've dropped off waste fuel. Locally (Rice) they're pretty helpful. You could just call them and ask.
Old 05-04-2023, 21:17   #18

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Beats me, I've always had some empty 5 gallon motor oil buckets or 3 gallon cat litter jugs handy when I've dropped off waste fuel. Locally (Rice) they're pretty helpful. You could just call them and ask.
I just checked the local drop-off facility's website.

They accept only proper fuel containers of five gallons or less, and will call when the empty containers are ready for pickup.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 07:01   #19

Boat: 42' Simpson Catamaran

We put a message out on Craigslist and someone came and pumped it out and took it away. I think he was using it for his truck? If I remember correctly we had 40 or 50 gallons....
aj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 07:40   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

As lng as it is not of the bio rubbish and pestered you can use even 60 year old diesel.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:37   #21

Boat: Endurance 35

Some may say fuel polishing is expensive. I guess, if you get a contractor in. But every diesel powered boat should have a secondary electric pump (basic seaflo impeller pump 80 quid) and a bogus Racor filter from Amazon. Pump the fuel through the Racor with a 20 micron cartridge. De-bug it if its buggy.

Use your polisher regularly. Mine is permanently intalled. Use it also for adding fuel from cans, and for transferring between tanks. Oh, and of course you then have a backup filter unit on board.
Leobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:59   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leobee View Post
Use your polisher regularly. Mine is permanently intalled. Use it also for adding fuel from cans, and for transferring between tanks. Oh, and of course you then have a backup filter unit on board.
Our Volvo has a high through put as the diesel cools the 3 injection pumps. The fuel tank is warm after a long motor.

However, yes a secondary system is useful. Doesn't need to be anything special, a filter and a fuel pump will do nicely.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:09   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leobee View Post
Some may say fuel polishing is expensive. I guess, if you get a contractor in. But every diesel powered boat should have a secondary electric pump (basic seaflo impeller pump 80 quid) and a bogus Racor filter from Amazon. Pump the fuel through the Racor with a 20 micron cartridge. De-bug it if its buggy.

I installed a transparent 60 litres daytank with 2 transparent Filters 20 and 5 micron before the daytank.

Due to the bio-rubbish in the diesel I am climate friendly and poison my diesel tanks every year. What a ...
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 14:38   #24

Any merchant ship will take it. Pour it into their fuel tank, any grade. All their fuel goes through purifiers on the way to the service tanks. They will even take waste hydraulic oil. I have done this.
Brian Renwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 15:19   #25

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

As others have said, age alone is not an issue: diesel is an oil, not a gas, so will not appreciably evaporate the more volatile molecules. Filter it if it is otherwise clean, but do check that the tank is free of contaminants and if not clean it well and use biocide when you refill. As for disposal, there should be no problem: just look for large metal commercial buildings and stop by for a chat. Many of these are heated by burners that can burn almost anything, and the owners will be happy for the free fuel. Be very careful about adding diesel to motor oil recycling stations as that may ruin the entire tank for whatever the intended purpose - always check.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 16:01   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Diesel engines are remarkable engines.....hell, they can run on cooking oil....

From google :

Vegetable oils, such as palm, soybean, sunflower, peanut, and olive, as alternative fuels can be used for diesel engines. As an alternative fuel, vegetable oil is one of the renewable fuels.

old diesel fuel, cleaned and filtered, will do just fine...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 22:06   #27

Boat: Birchwood 33

Don't dispose of it, use it. Just do 'due diligence' and check it first for any contamination and then filter accordingly (call it 'fuel scrubbing' if you want a hefty quote for someone else to do the job).
I had 300 litres that had sat in the stainless steel tank for 8 years before I bought the boat. It had a bad case of diesel bacteria which had agglomerated in great slimy masses in the bottom and corners of the tank. I pumped it out through filters, cleaned the tank and then returned the fuel to the tank through filters again (it looked like honey). My engines sang for 12 hours on this fuel in a trip across the Balearic.
The filters were cheap and the fuel didn't go into any waste stream and it saved a couple of hundred bucks. I must mention that I have old Perkins engines that are very tolerant beasts. (I'm not sure I would repeat the process if I had new
highly-strung ECU-managed motors)
Nyaminyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 23:26   #28

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

Contact your local fire department.They may be able to use it for practice fire-fighting of flammable materials. A donation to a good cause!

RR.
Rotten Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 13:44   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

My current boat had fuel at least 6 years old. I added a 3x dose of fuel conditioner that included a biocide, cetane booster and additional lube properties. I burned some on a sea test and the rest on the way home. I saw no difference in performance or mileage between the treated diesel and new fuel. I have Detroits so did the equivalent of fuel polishing on the way home.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 15:47   #30

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I have 25-30 gallons of years-old diesel I pulled out the tanks that was in my boat when I bought it.

It's in six Jerry cans, and I'm wondering where to dispose of it?
You might have to find a chemical dump...
I had the same problem here in Australia...
In the end I treated my 120 litres of diesel (13 years old) with a biocide and used it all up.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel